HFBoards Top 50 Prospects Ranking #24 (closed)

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• Kaiden Guhle - D

• Jakob Pelletier - LW

• Jonatan Berggren - RW

• Philip Broberg - D

• Maverick Bourque - C

• Pavel Mintyukov - D

• Frank Nazar - C

• Matthew Knies - LW

• Brennan Othmann - LW

• Joakim Kemell - RW

• Olen Zellweger - D

• Logan Stankoven - C

• Victor Soderstrom - D

• Ville Heinola - D

• Dylan Holloway - C

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Marco Kasper - C

• Shane Pinto - C

• Aatu Raty - C

• Matthew Savoie - C

• Vitali Kravtsov - RW

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Owen Power - D:sabres18. Alexander Holtz - RW:devils35.
2. Matty Beniers - C:seattle19. Brandt Clarke - D:kings236.
3. Jake Sanderson - D:sens20. John Peterka - LW:sabres37.
4. Luke Hughes - D:devils21. Dylan Guenther - RW:coyotes38.
5. Juraj Slafkovsky - LW:habs22. Lukas Reichel - C/W:hawks39.
6. Shane Wright - C:seattle23. Cutter Gauthier - C/LW:flyers40.
7. Simon Edvinsson - D:wings24.41.
8. Mason McTavish - C:ducks225.42.
9. Jack Quinn - W:sabres26.43.
10. Logan Cooley - C:coyotes27.44.
11. Simon Nemec - D:devils28.45.
12. Kent Johnson - C:cbj29.46.
13. David Jiricek - D:cbj30.47.
14. Wyatt Johnston - C:stars31.48.
15. Marco Rossi - C:wild32.49.
16. Cole Perfetti - C/RW:jets33.50.
17. William Eklund - LW:sharks34.

To add:
Danila Yurov - RW
Kevin Korchinski - D
Connor Geekie - C
Liam Ohgren - LW

Bobby Brink - RW
Matt Coronato - LW
Brendan Brisson - C
Nick Robertson - LW
Ridly Greig - C
Lukas Cormier - D
Alex Turcotte - C
Hendrix Lapierre - C
Topi Niemela - D
Zachary Bolduc - C
Carson Lambos - D
Nikita Chibrikov - RW
Chaz Lucius - C
Jack Rathbone - D
Joshua Roy - LW
Fabian Lysell - RW
Xavier Bourgault - C
Sakir Mukhamadullin - D
Luke Evangelista - RW
Jordan Spence - D
Thomas Bordeleau - C
Fedor Svechkov - C
Jacob Perrault - RW
Zac Jones - D
William Dufour - RW
Brock Faber - D
Sean Farrell - LW

Past lists:
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #50 FINAL (summer 2021)
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (winter 2020-21)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (summer 2019)
Top 50 Drafted Prospects 2018: #46 - #50 (summer 2018)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects #50 FINAL (summer 2017)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikeshane

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Are we voting on how good they are now, or how good we think they will become?

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Are we voting on how good they are now, or how good we think they will become?
I imagine a prospect's value would be a combination of floor and ceiling, so both. Up to the individual voter to weight them. At this point, I am not sure most of us can really earnestly vote with any kind of confidence, I am just going off 1 or 2 viewings and the musings of scouts now.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Its Nazar again
I’ll bite - I like Nazar, but I want to know what you see in him to have him roughly top-10 in the entire NHL as a prospects.

From my numerous viewings of him I find he takes shifts off, which is something I find worrying in prospects. Especially when it happens on the international stage.

I have heard some say he is “elite” defensively, which is something I disagree with and there is still quite a bit of work to be done in this aspect of his game. If he wants to be a centre at the next level he is going to need significant improvement in this area - I also view him as a winger at the next level so his defensive deficiencies shouldn’t hurt him as much.

He can have elite puck skills, yes. But I couldn’t count how many times he had trouble receiving even the easiest of passes at time. Or when he has the puck he would lose it in the dumbest ways, whether that be over puck handling, him getting scared of pressure, or just holding onto the puck for too long when he could have gotten rid of it making a good play sooner. It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but it happens often enough for me to take notice.

I also want to see what he does without Cooley and Howard, and it could drastically improve his stock for me.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’ll bite - I like Nazar, but I want to know what you see in him to have him roughly top-10 in the entire NHL as a prospects.

From my numerous viewings of him I find he takes shifts off, which is something I find worrying in prospects. Especially when it happens on the international stage.

I have heard some say he is “elite” defensively, which is something I disagree with and there is still quite a bit of work to be done in this aspect of his game. If he wants to be a centre at the next level he is going to need significant improvement in this area - I also view him as a winger at the next level so his defensive deficiencies shouldn’t hurt him as much.

He can have elite puck skills, yes. But I couldn’t count how many times he had trouble receiving even the easiest of passes at time. Or when he has the puck he would lose it in the dumbest ways, whether that be over puck handling, him getting scared of pressure, or just holding onto the puck for too long when he could have gotten rid of it making a good play sooner. It doesn’t happen ALL the time, but it happens often enough for me to take notice.

I also want to see what he does without Cooley and Howard, and it could drastically improve his stock for me.
Im a bit puzzled by your evaluation of Nazar.

First, the pass reception concerns...? Hes one of the most impressive player hand-eye coordination wise, he can tip, handle and receive passes in a variety of ways that only a few players can. Hes certainly was the best on the US squad on that end.

You say hes scared of contact? He literally takes the middle and cuts in at a higher rate than anyone else on the US team? His inside game is elite and he constantly challenged defenders with his skating and body positioning.

Hes not elite defensively, but its easy to see that with a little coaching he could be and its true that he lacks effort in the Dzone... but who fkn cares about that, Ive seen even Jonathan Drouin turn it up when it was needed in the Dzone.

Hes been forcing plays but so has Cooley, and while Nazar has been forcing them while in close contact, Cooley has been forcing them on the outside, Id much rather see the first than the latter.

You seem to focus on very uninportant parts, sure he floats at times without the puck, so does Kucherov. Hes probably not gonna be a C, but it should be a plus that hes versatile and can play all three positions. His D game isnt particularly good but he does present a package that would see him be a good, at least, supporting player in that regard.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Im a bit puzzled by your evaluation of Nazar.

First, the pass reception concerns...? Hes one of the most impressive player hand-eye coordination wise, he can tip, handle and receive passes in a variety of ways that only a few players can. Hes certainly was the best on the US squad on that end.

You say hes scared of contact? He literally takes the middle and cuts in at a higher rate than anyone else on the US team? His inside game is elite and he constantly challenged defenders with his skating and body positioning.

Hes not elite defensively, but its easy to see that with a little coaching he could be and its true that he lacks effort in the Dzone... but who fkn cares about that, Ive seen even Jonathan Drouin turn it up when it was needed in the Dzone.

Hes been forcing plays but so has Cooley, and while Nazar has been forcing them while in close contact, Cooley has been forcing them on the outside, Id much rather see the first than the latter.

You seem to focus on very uninportant parts, sure he floats at times without the puck, so does Kucherov. Hes probably not gonna be a C, but it should be a plus that hes versatile and can play all three positions. His D game isnt particularly good but he does present a package that would see him be a good, at least, supporting player in that regard.
So what i'm getting from this is you believe his upside is similar to that of a Zegras, Cooley or a Kent Johnson, no?

I can agree with that, he possesses the skill set to be as good as those guys.

So that begs the question, how likely do you believe this outcome is? I don't believe it's all that likely, I believe he projects closer to a second liner similar to TJ Oshie. I can obviously assume you believe it's high but how high?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So what i'm getting from this is you believe his upside is similar to that of a Zegras, Cooley or a Kent Johnson, no?

I can agree with that, he possesses the skill set to be as good as those guys.

So that begs the question, how likely do you believe this outcome is? I don't believe it's all that likely, I believe he projects closer to a second liner similar to TJ Oshie. I can obviously assume you believe it's high but how high?
Precisely, I had Nazar 4th overall ahead of Slaf and Cooley. He has top line upside and his game is pretty safe, in that hes not going to be anything less than a 2nd liner IMO.

I see him and Cooley as can't miss prospects, a tad higher than Johnson.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Precisely, I had Nazar 4th overall ahead of Slaf and Cooley. He has top line upside and his game is pretty safe, in that hes not going to be anything less than a 2nd liner IMO.

I see him and Cooley as can't miss prospects, a tad higher than Johnson.
Fair enough - appreciate the discourse.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Danila Yurov. Hope he gets added soon. Him being selected 24th is not representative of him as a hockey player in any way. He was easily a top 10 guy in the class (I had him at 5) and got dropped due to circumstances outside of his control (the Russian factor and getting absolutely screwed in terms of playing time with Magnitogorsk).

I'd probably vote Morrow next and he's also not in the poll, but him and Nazar are pretty close.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00