Patrik Laine
Andrei Svechnikov
Brady Tkachuk
Timo Meier
Chris Kreider
Evander Kane

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Kinda crazy how many of these wingers are at a similar level of play.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
I think Stone is the best when health but I’m not going to gamble against Rantanen and Robertson.
Kane does what Rantanen does but on a crap team with Dylan Strome as his most common center.
Well Rantanen’s on-ice results are almost identical with or without MacKinnon. MacKinnon is more productive relative to his linemates but it doesn’t mean he’s that much more impactful. I think the main cause of the discrepancy is that MacKinnon shoots far more and gets many more puck touches while his linemates do the dirty work for him. My main point is MacKinnon is not the type of player who makes his linemates better.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I think Stone is the best when health but I’m not going to gamble against Rantanen and Robertson.

Well Rantanen’s on-ice results are almost identical with or without MacKinnon. MacKinnon is more productive relative to his linemates but it doesn’t mean he’s that much more impactful. I think the main cause of the discrepancy is that MacKinnon shoots far more and gets many more puck touches while his linemates do the dirty work for him. My main point is MacKinnon is not the type of player who makes his linemates better.

So what you're basically saying is that people's assessment of Rantanen is based of off a few games Rantanen played without MacKinnon in the past few years since that's when he actually gets to show his real skills?

It's not just MacKinnon though, of course. My reasoning for Kane over Rantanen is basically for the same reason Kaprizov is #2 on this list. What they do, they do without elite support at any position. Rantanen has one season where he's outscored Kane and that was 17/18. And while also being a much better 5v5 producer, coupled with being the undisputed driver on his line, I absolutely think Kane should be above Rantanen.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
All I can say is Guentzel is perfect for the Pens, not sure I would trade him for any of these players. That being said I cannot 100% say he is the best of the choices, just to me on the Pens he is the best choice.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
So what you're basically saying is that people's assessment of Rantanen is based of off a few games Rantanen played without MacKinnon in the past few years since that's when he actually gets to show his real skills?

It's not just MacKinnon though, of course. My reasoning for Kane over Rantanen is basically for the same reason Kaprizov is #2 on this list. What they do, they do without elite support at any position. Rantanen has one season where he's outscored Kane and that was 17/18. And while also being a much better 5v5 producer, coupled with being the undisputed driver on his line, I absolutely think Kane should be above Rantanen.
I’m not trying to argue for anyone else. The stats I referenced from the last few seasons are equivalent to 45 games. I agree that Rantanen’s 5v5 totals are measly so I consulted other stats instead of using narratives to defend Rantanen. He’s not showing any more skills without MacKinnon. The work outside the offensive zone still gets done and an individual player doesn’t hog all the shot attempts. At the end of the day defense is the difference maker not offense.

The difference between Kaprizov and Kane is Kaprizov is a much better 5v5 scorer, is much better at drawing penalties, and is a much better defensive player. Personal I think he should be first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad