NHL's 2nd best winger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Marchand IMO.

Yes completely agree as no one has his combination of scoring, checking and pestiness.

Maybe he was a bit off the radar due to missing time last year but until then he was a serious Hart candidate.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
1661438481649.png

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Gaudreau by quite a bit. Should have had a Hart nomination last season.

Meh, depends on how you rank players, based on the past year, past 3 years, or past 6 years, etc.

Gaudreau was great last year and I agree he could have been a Hart finalist. For the two years prior to that, not so much. He was great two of the past 4 years. Nowhere near the best winger in 4 of the past 6 years.

Just my opinion, but I'd want a player who consistently registers among the best wingers just about every year, and I'll take that guy over a player who is up and down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57special

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As long as they get pucks in deep and take it one shift at a time.

I think you needed the sarcasm emoji there buddy. :sarcasm:
Meh, depends on how you rank players, based on the past year, past 3 years, or past 6 years, etc.

Gaudreau was great last year and I agree he could have been a Hart finalist. For the two years prior to that, not so much. He was great two of the past 4 years. Nowhere near the best winger in 4 of the past 6 years.

Just my opinion, but I'd want a player who consistently registers among the best wingers just about every year, and I'll take that guy over a player who is up and down.

The poll question kind of implies right now even if it doesn't say so as it clearly isn't asking for best career or last 6 years in any sense to vote that way is really a stretch at best.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
The poll question kind of implies right now even if it doesn't say so as it clearly isn't asking for best career or last 6 years in any sense to vote that way is really a stretch at best.
I don't want to speak for @Midnight Judges but I believe they are saying that they take into account past performance when predicting future performance. For JG, we've seen he can do it once, but can he be in the Art/Hart discussion on a regular basis? With Kucherov/Kaprizov I can see it, but with JG I think I need to see a bit more.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't want to speak for @Midnight Judges but I believe they are saying that they take into account past performance when predicting future performance. For JG, we've seen he can do it once, but can he be in the Art/Hart discussion on a regular basis? With Kucherov/Kaprizov I can see it, but with JG I think I need to see a bit more.

Fair enough but 6 years....seriously?

Also if one wants to be really objective and look at the bigger picture, ie just more than last season shouldn't a players age also be part of the conversation?

I mean it's possible for a center or winger to be the 2nd best at either position at age 36 (he will be 37 when the season starts) but it's also extremely unlikely to say the least.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Right, but it's a matter of what you think is the best predictor. 1 year? 2 years? or more.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's got two 4th place Hart finishes in the last 4 years....

This was the first year of his career where he didn't have to carry around Sean Monahan. The 2 Covid years it was an injured Sean Monahan plus guys like Brett Ritchie and Josh Leivo and Dominic Simon.

It's no coincidence that the moment he got actual linemates he started scoring at an all world level.

Reactions: deleted user

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Right, but it's a matter of what you think is the best predictor. 1 year? 2 years? or more.

Sure for guys in their peak and or prime years, ie under 30 but Ovi is 37 at the start of the upcoming season and at some point the trend in the last 6 years, ie a PPG guy also has to be held in contrast to his hot start last year.

If people are voting for Ovi at this stage they are betting on the start of the season against the other 5.5 years and that's not very well supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA