Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hedman

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Very nice of Mattias Ekholm to eat all the tough minutes in Nashville so that Josi can rack up points and get votes here.

Hedman, and he should’ve gone first IMO.

Even so Josi had an incredible season offensively for a Dman and he isn't exactly Phil Housley bad on the back end out there either.

That being said took Hedman this round and no Makar has up seated Hedman and it's not even really all that close really.

For me it's Makar then the field.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
add Carlson, Chabot
Carlson, seriously?

I know that he still produces points but going into next season just for next season and salaries not mattering do you honestly think that NHL GMs would draft him in the top 10 (or even 15 or 20 really) of all Dmen just for a single year everyone in the pool exercise?

This is how I view these questions when they are asked because that's kind of the exact question they were asking.

Even adding Chabot at this point seems early.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Carlson, seriously?

I know that he still produces points but going into next season just for next season and salaries not mattering do you honestly think that NHL GMs would draft him in the top 10 (or even 15 or 20 really) of all Dmen just for a single year everyone in the pool exercise?

This is how I view these questions when they are asked because that's kind of the exact question they were asking.

Even adding Chabot at this point seems early.
Pietrangelo, Rielly, and Theodore then.... All in the same tier

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Very nice of Mattias Ekholm to eat all the tough minutes in Nashville so that Josi can rack up points and get votes here.

I voted Hedman aswell but the disrespect towards Josi is ridicolous.

Reactions: uncleben

Vakarte

May 30, 2022

I thought Josi plays lots of tough minutes though?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, Ekholm certainly played tougher minutes overall according to puckIQ (38.5% against elite competition vs 28.6%), but their actual minutes against top competition wasn’t far off (506.5 for Ekholm vs 460.2 for Josi), and Josi did really well in those minutes, and better than Ekholm

Reactions: ESH and triggrman

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Josi will be the auto #3. #4 will get interesting - Fox and Charlie.

Then it opens up at #6 with the Slavin's of the world.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I voted Hedman aswell but the disrespect towards Josi is ridicolous.
And I find the disrespect towards Ekholm and overrating of Josi because points ridiculous. Props to Josi for actually scoring them, but he owes Ekholm and ENORMOUS “thank you” for shouldering the tough defensive load and freeing up Josi to rack up points.

Yea, Ekholm certainly played tougher minutes overall according to puckIQ (38.5% against elite competition vs 28.6%), but their actual minutes against top competition wasn’t far off (506.5 for Ekholm vs 460.2 for Josi), and Josi did really well in those minutes, and better than Ekholm
Now look at their shTOI and zone start %s. Ekholm lead his team in short handed minutes and was among the top players in the entire league in PK time, Josi was 6th on the predators in total shTOI and 9th in shTOI per game. Ekholm started in the ozone 36.6% vs 67.2% ozone starts for Josi. For all the accolades Josi gets after a big offensive season, he would not be able to score like he did without Ekholm doing the dirty work for him.

Last edited:

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Even so Josi had an incredible season offensively for a Dman and he isn't exactly Phil Housley bad on the back end out there either.

That being said took Hedman this round and no Makar has up seated Hedman and it's not even really all that close really.

For me it's Makar then the field.
Fair enough, clearly Josi had an incredible offensive season and he deserves credit for putting the puck in the net. However I cannot in good faith say a dman who is 9th on his own team in average shTOI per game is a top 2-3 dman in the league. He is being overrated because points, while the guy on his team doing all the actual tough defensive work (Ekholm) gets completely passed over.

I stated my stance of Hedman vs Makar in the first thread if you want to see, but basically I think Hedman is better defensively than Makar is better offensively. Makar is a wizard with the puck but he needs to improve his play in his own zone when he/the team doesn’t have puck possession.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
He really doesn’t. Opponents will put out their top players against him in the ozone because he is great offensively, but he is generally not playing tough defensive and PK minutes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
And I find the disrespect towards Ekholm and overrating of Josi because points ridiculous. Props to Josi for actually scoring them, but he owes Ekholm and ENORMOUS “thank you” for shouldering the tough defensive load and freeing up Josi to rack up points.

Now look at their shTOI and zone start %s. Ekholm lead his team in short handed minutes and was among the top players in the entire league in PK time, Josi was 6th on the predators in total shTOI and 9th in shTOI per game. Ekholm started in the ozone 36.6% vs 67.2% ozone starts for Josi. For all the accolades Josi gets after a big offensive season, he would not be able to score like he did without Ekholm doing the dirty work for him.

Josi was played in minutes that maximize his effectiveness, just like Karlsson when he was at his best. That means higher zone starts and lower PK minutes. That doesn’t mean he can’t handle those minutes, or that he’s ineffective in them, as he did well when he played them. Sure, he probably doesn’t score 96 points if he had Ekholm’s deployment, but that doesn’t suddenly make him not an elite defenseman or Ekholm somehow more valuable. Hedman hasn’t taken the hardest matchups on the Bolts since they acquired McDonagh either, for the record.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He really doesn’t. Opponents will put out their top players against him in the ozone because he is great offensively, but he is generally not playing tough defensive and PK minutes.
Personally, I don't hold that against him. Same as I don't really hold it against McDavid that he is deployed offensively. Ekholm will make his way onto this list for his own merits.

Not many defencemen have the skillset to put up 96 points on a team that was middle of the pack offensively.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fox is going to end up with an average Norris finish the last two years higher than this poll ranks him. Just an observation.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Personally, I don't hold that against him. Same as I don't really hold it against McDavid that he is deployed offensively. Ekholm will make his way onto this list for his own merits.

Not many defencemen have the skillset to put up 96 points on a team that was middle of the pack offensively.
Not many forwards have the skillset to put up 96 points on any team

I hate that I agree with Ranger fans but I go Fox here. Hedman is almost overrated due to what hes done vs what hes doing. Still a top 5 guy but the sheer amount of hockey hes played has definitely slowed him down a bit

Reactions: avsfan9

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Josi was played in minutes that maximize his effectiveness, just like Karlsson when he was at his best. That means higher zone starts and lower PK minutes. That doesn’t mean he can’t handle those minutes, or that he’s ineffective in them, as he did well when he played them. Sure, he probably doesn’t score 96 points if he had Ekholm’s deployment, but that doesn’t suddenly make him not an elite defenseman or Ekholm somehow more valuable. Hedman hasn’t taken the hardest matchups on the Bolts since they acquired McDonagh either, for the record.
Lot easier to do well in those minutes when not tired from PKing or playing against opponents top lines in the dzone.

I don't think comparing Hedman's usage to Josi's is a very good comparison. Unlike Josi and Ekholm, McDonagh and Hedman actually played similar TOI% against Elite QoC, Hedman actually played significant minutes on the PK, and had somewhat more reasonable zone start ratios (tho admittedly still slanted towards a more offensive usage).

If you want to argue that McDonagh is underrated, I've got time for that argument tho.

I don't see the point in comparing the deployment of a forward like McDavid to a dman like Josi. Seems more reasonable to compare the deployment of players in the same position.

Regardless, bolded is a fair point. Josi deserves some credit for taking full advantage of his sheltered offensive usage and having a historic offensive season. I just don't think his accomplishments are deserving of being crowned a top 2-3 defenseman in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad