Jordan Binnington
Jeremy Swayman
Carey Price (maybe...)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Swayman, Campbell, Binnington and Husso should be options. You're basically forcing unworthy choices into a top 10 spot. Thatcher Demko at 6? Really?
Not really. None of those goalies would have been voted in at this point and wouldn’t beat a number of options still in the poll. I mean one or two outliers may have voted for them but that’s about it. There’s no way they’d beat Demko, Markstrom or Andersen in the poll so nothing is being forced on anyone.

But they should start to be added.

Reactions: LT

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think I'd seriously consider voting for Fleury here - I think he should be added next. His highs are better than anyone here, and although last season was a bit more uneven, he is just one year removed from a Vezina trophy.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But it's his fault he is. You know, a goalie could still produce good to average numbers behind a shit team. It happens every year. Never ever with Gibson though.
He is the most overrated goalie on this website, if not the entire NHL.

Just for the facts that he's probably (according to these polls) gonna finish in the top-10 in votes in these polls, along with the fact that people think he's still really good. All the comments about how the Leafs would be a contender if only they would pick him up and the remainder of his $30 million (he probably doesn't have that left in real dollars, but he does in cap hit) albatross. At this point his deal is a cap dump and has no value, for the amount of term and dollars remaining on it.

Gibson is bad in most stats. His save percentage has been a .904% over the last 3 years and 142 games played and he's constantly been a negative in goals saved above expected for these last 3 years. And that stat takes into account bad defenses. Jake Allen and Matt Murray were both positives in goals saved above expected this past year, despite negatives in save percentage. Gibson was not, he was a negative all around. Not only for this past season, but the past 3 seasons.

He's only 29 years old, so it's not out of the question that he'll be good again. I don't think it's out of the question he'd be good on another team, but not because another team will play so much better in front of him that it will resurrect him, but because maybe a change of scenery can do him good and reinvigorate him and resurrect his career, which is clearly going nowhere in Anaheim. His contract is no good, so I can't see it having any value. It will most likely end in a buyout or LTIR.

Gibson was a fantastic (elite) goalie up until 2019 and looked like he might very well be the an elite goalie for the next decade or more. He was a very injury prone goalie. Usually it was nothing long term, but I wonder if all those injuries have built up and taken their toll and caused his demise barely past his mid-20's?

Put Shesterkin behind that team and tell me he'd also be that bad or less than league average?

Reactions: byrath

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kuemper is really underrated here. And it's funny because being a goalie on a STACKED team (not that I would call Washington stacked at this point, Colorado certainly is/was) usually gets you OVERRATED. Except for Chris Osgood and Corey Crawford.

I think Kuemper definitely comes in by now at 8 or even earlier on a poll last summer, but I think his poor playoffs where Colorado won the cup in spite of him (Francouz wasn't any good either) has really caused his reputation among fans to take quite the hit.

I think if they won the cup with Kuemper having a .915% or so, he also probably already comes in by now on these polls. His regular season was very good though. I do think the downgrade in goal will cost Colorado some points in the regular season.

Kuemper's best days are definitely over and I honestly think he could start falling apart as soon as this coming year. I've been saying that since before the eye injury in the playoffs. But all of that is merely speculatory from me and nothing more. That's my only basis for that.

But over the last 5 years Kuemper has definitely been one of the 8 best goalies in the league, quite easily, if not even higher.

He is an injury case for sure, but his performance over the last 5 years has been a .920%. That includes the two times he was in the playoffs in those 5 years. And he played more games in those 5 years with Arizona than any other team. Doesn't playing on a bad team earn you points and get you excused on here? It sure does for John Gibson.

Reactions: Painful Quandary

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
But it's his fault he is. You know, a goalie could still produce good to average numbers behind a shit team. It happens every year. Never ever with Gibson though.
Is there a player in the league that lives larger off reputation than John Gibson?

• Love
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gibson has to be the most overrated goalie in the league
Absolutely. It's no contest for me. At least on this website he's the most overrated. How many more bad seasons does he have to have before he stops getting voted into the top-9? Which is where this looks like it's going.

Even the other goalies (in limited action, to be fair) in Anaheim have performed well in 2 of these 3 decline seasons.
Is there a player in the league that lives larger off reputation than John Gibson?
There's probably a few, but as far as goalies go? Probably not.

Although, and I've said this quite a bit, goalies reputations really take a long time to go away. It's why Craig Anderson is the only player in his 40's that's under contract and actually expected to play (not on LTIR) this year. He's been bad and washed up for years and still gets signed.

Elliott, Korpisalo (I know it's the same team that keeps bringing), Martin Jones. No reason for all of those guys to have NHL deals this year. I understand a couple of them, but not all of them. This league recycles goalies more than it recycles head coaches.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He is the most overrated goalie on this website, if not the entire NHL.

Just for the facts that he's probably (according to these polls) gonna finish in the top-10 in votes in these polls, along with the fact that people think he's still really good. All the comments about how the Leafs would be a contender if only they would pick him up and the remainder of his $30 million (he probably doesn't have that left in real dollars, but he does in cap hit) albatross. At this point his deal is a cap dump and has no value, for the amount of term and dollars remaining on it.

Gibson is bad in most stats. His save percentage has been a .904% over the last 3 years and 142 games played and he's constantly been a negative in goals saved above expected for these last 3 years. And that stat takes into account bad defenses. Jake Allen and Matt Murray were both positives in goals saved above expected this past year, despite negatives in save percentage. Gibson was not, he was a negative all around. Not only for this past season, but the past 3 seasons.

He's only 29 years old, so it's not out of the question that he'll be good again. I don't think it's out of the question he'd be good on another team, but not because another team will play so much better in front of him that it will resurrect him, but because maybe a change of scenery can do him good and reinvigorate him and resurrect his career, which is clearly going nowhere in Anaheim. His contract is no good, so I can't see it having any value. It will most likely end in a buyout or LTIR.

Gibson was a fantastic (elite) goalie up until 2019 and looked like he might very well be the an elite goalie for the next decade or more. He was a very injury prone goalie. Usually it was nothing long term, but I wonder if all those injuries have built up and taken their toll and caused his demise barely past his mid-20's?

Put Shesterkin behind that team and tell me he'd also be that bad or less than league average?

The thing is that there’s a difference between talent and performance. I think Gibson keeps being put here because he doesn’t seem to have slipped in terms of his physical ability, but it seems like he’s one of those guys who struggles to stay focused on a poor team. His splits the last few years trend much higher in the first half of the season. In 18-19, he had a .924 through December, then a .906 the rest of the way. In 19-20 he had a .908 through December and a .898 the rest of the way. This year, he had a .922 through January, then an .876 the rest of the way. That’s obviously a knock, but I think we’d see his numbers shoot up on a good team again, where he actually felt like he had something to play for. A bit like Price, who struggled with some poor regular seasons in his 30s, but still looked good doing it, and managed to put it together in playoff runs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The thing is that there’s a difference between talent and performance. I think Gibson keeps being put here because he doesn’t seem to have slipped in terms of his physical ability, but it seems like he’s one of those guys who struggles to stay focused on a poor team. His splits the last few years trend much higher in the first half of the season. In 18-19, he had a .924 through December, then a .906 the rest of the way. In 19-20 he had a .908 through December and a .898 the rest of the way. This year, he had a .922 through January, then an .876 the rest of the way. That’s obviously a knock, but I think we’d see his numbers shoot up on a good team again, where he actually felt like he had something to play for. A bit like Price, who struggled with some poor regular seasons in his 30s, but still looked good doing it, and managed to put it together in playoff runs.
Price started having poor seasons, that's true, but not consecutively like this. Definitely not 3 in a row.

He might at this point (if he were still playing), but he's much older than Gibson is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad