Speculation: HFBoards Mock Draft 2013

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
Don't know if this has been done before, but it's a long lockout so I decided I'd try it. I ran a lottery simulation a while back and came up with a draft order which can be seen here. I decided that instead of coming up with a mock draft myself I would have the fans of each team vote on their pick. I'll post the collective results once every fanbase has voted.

The Islanders have the #8 pick. Thus far Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones, Monahan, Drouin, Lindholm and Shikaruk have been selected. Who would you take with the 8th overall pick?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
DQ, when does the poll close? I'm stuck on either Lazar, Pulock, or Morrissey

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
My vote comes after reading scouting reports and listening to draft podcasts. I've seen none of these prospects. I went with Ristolain who's drawn comparisons to Brent Seabrooke.

I'll be happy with BPA except for Nichushkin, who I read has signed a 3 yr contract in the KHL

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would love pulock...He would be our most potent offensive dman and he has NHL size....

I also like Risto and Nurse and then Morressey and Mantha a step below that....

I said a few weeks ago that I would love Pulock if we had a top 10 pick not top 3 or 4

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
torn between pulock and risto. i like what i read about risto's hockey smarts, smooth/mature game and size to go along with smooth skating. but i also love pulock's offensive flair and snarl, while also having good size.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Went with Morrissey. His game sounds alot like Cal de Haan's, but Josh is bigger, more physical, and is better offensively. Can't go wrong with Lazar or Pulock either as they both bring elements that we need.

I think Risto is gonna drop. He has all the tools, but go schooled by Teuvo Terevainen a few weeks ago. All I can think of is Tavares picking apart Hedman last year. We'll see.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Went with Morrissey. His game sounds alot like Cal de Haan's, but Josh is bigger, more physical, and is better offensively. Can't go wrong with Lazar or Pulock either as they both bring elements that we need.

I think Risto is gonna drop. He has all the tools, but go schooled by Teuvo Terevainen a few weeks ago. All I can think of is Tavares picking apart Hedman last year. We'll see.

I doubt he drops, defensemen with that combination of skill, physical play and size rarely drop out of the top 12. I wouldn't read too much into one play, Teravainen is a highly skilled forward, and a year older. Plus, Risto didn't start playing defense until just the last 5 years, so he's still a bit more raw at the position, but that also could indicate room to grow into it and a higher upper end potential.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
Fucale. Only player on the list I've seen play. Great goalie. Started for the Mooseheads last year as a 16yo and led them deep in the POs. He won the Mooseheads team scholastic achievement award and was co-MVP of the team with MacKinnon last year.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the team has 2 needs: a sniper and another premium defense prospect (preferably RH shot).

There's no true sniper available so in the end, I've been intrigued by Ristolainen for a while now and I still am. I'll take a Seth Jones-lite at #8 and set up our defense corps.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
My gut feeling is that the Islanders will end up with Lazar.

I wouldn't mind Pulock or Morrissey if they went with a defenseman.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Pulock. Brings everything we need. RH d-man with an Al MacInnis type shot. Has some grit to his game and is solid in his own zone. He'll be the perfect compliment to Reinhart. The thought of this future top-4 is enough to get any Isles fan half-mast:

Reinhart - Pulock
*deHaan - Hamonic

*Still confident CDH will become an extremely solid top-4 NHL defenseman. Have always been higher on him than I have Donovan. Still am.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
How about we trade it for a proven goal scorer? Or a solid two-way player who could play on JT's right side? A few possibilities:

Our first and Bailey for Jason Pominville?

Our first for Wayne Simmonds?

Our first for Dustin Brown and a third?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How about we trade it for a proven goal scorer? Or a solid two-way player who could play on JT's right side? A few possibilities:

Our first and Bailey for Jason Pominville?

Our first for Wayne Simmonds?

Our first for Dustin Brown and a third?

With the cap coming down, I hope Snow is kicking the tires on potential trades, looking to teams near the cap ceiling like Philly. Simmons was signed to a multi-yr extension.

I would be surprised if Snow was in the mix for Pominville or Brown, both are ufas in July 2014. No interest in giving up a first in a strong draft, for a short term pickup.

Maybe instead of looking for a top 6 forward, Snow should be looking for a young vet for his blueline. Vis and Streit are scheduled to become ufas in July 2013. The blueline prospects who are closest to being nhl ready, have only a few nhl games experience between them: Donovan, De Haan and Ness.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The eighth pick last year combined with a B level defensive prospect and a strong third line center was worth Jordan Staal. If Garth were to shop the eighth pick, he should be getting something right on par or better than Jordan Staal, especially with Pulock, a prospect who shoots the puck in the upper 90's and has drawn comparisons to Al MacInnis, on the board.

I don't think we have enough depth to package a roster forward with the pick. I think it would be addition by subtraction. We have top forward prospects who are going to solidify our top nine just around the time we get to Brooklyn. If we resign Streit, we'll have him, Hamonic, AMac, and possibly Donovan and Reinhart. We also have many many defensive prospects that can be packaged with picks for stop-gap veterans.

If we were to give up Brock Nelson, Josh Bailey, and the eighth for Keith Yandle, it would be more of a setback than a progression in my opinion.

Keep the pick and draft BPA. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until we are a playoff contending team every year, it would be such a gamble to trade our first round picks
(that have been top ten for almost five years straight now).

Last edited:

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
I think Ristolainen would be perfect for the Islanders. Pulock and Morrisey would be the next best fits.

I have a question for isles fans. Would you be looking to trade prospects that look like they have no shot to make the roster for a 2nd round pick in this deep draft?

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I think the team has 2 needs: a sniper and another premium defense prospect (preferably RH shot).

There's no true sniper available so in the end, I've been intrigued by Ristolainen for a while now and I still am. I'll take a Seth Jones-lite at #8 and set up our defense corps.

burakovsky is a legit sniper, no?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think Ristolainen would be perfect for the Islanders. Pulock and Morrisey would be the next best fits.

I have a question for isles fans. Would you be looking to trade prospects that look like they have no shot to make the roster for a 2nd round pick in this deep draft?

depends on the prospect? but Isles are at the point where trading for picks really does not make sense unless there is a prospect they REALLY want.

Intangiblezz

Oct 21, 2012
depends on the prospect? but Isles are at the point where trading for picks really does not make sense unless there is a prospect they REALLY want.

If a good winger like Sorensen, Zykov, Compher or Cammarata is available in round 2 would you trade a package of guys like DiBenedetto, Koskinen, Persson, Petrov or a late pick?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Unless the isles are giving up a quality prospect, I doubt they get an offer of a 2nd. I don't have any interest in seeing Snow moving a quality prospect, for a 2nd rounder. Especially in deals with eastern conference rivals. Recently, Pittsburgh and NJ fans proposed deals that would send 20 yr old Kabanov to their teams, for a defensive prospect or 33 yr old Tallender.
No interest in sending the Pens a big, skilled winger for Crosby's line or sending NJ a big, skilled winger for Kovalchuk's line.

I'd rather have Snow packaging nhl talent+picks+ prospects for nhl talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad