Line Combos: HFBoards Decides: Opening Lineup - To HBK or Not To HBK

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Now that Vesey has signed (boo the Rangers, booo-urns), I feel that our final roster is evident.

Basically the same thing as last year. I want a thread series where HFBoards selects what they feel is the best opening day lineup.

Some assumptions, as of 8/19/2016:

• Crosby and Malkin are our top two centers and will not play wing.
  • Phil Kessel and Patric Hornqvist are right wingers and will not be on the same line.
  • Letang is on the first D pairing on the right side.

I will add more assumptions as the HFBoards lineup is decided. You don't like these assumptions? Too bad.

We shall start with HBK line. Keep them together or split them up?

Voting for this one shall last for four days.

hbk-line.jpg

Next poll will depend on this poll's result.

Objections?

Current HFBoards Lineup:

XXX-Crosby-XXX
XXX-Malkin-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

XXX-Letang
XXX-XXX
XXX-XXX
XXX

XXX
XXX

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Is there a reason that we shouldn't start off with them? They won't stay together for an entire season, but to they should start off together without question IMO.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Easy yes for me. Use Crosby/Malkins line to experiment. Try Wilson with both Crosby and Malkin and see if he can stick, perhaps Sheary can go on the other line and Kunitz can eat natchos. If Sheary/Wilson don't stick we got other options too.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I'm hoping Wilson can nab that top spot next to sid with a strong camp/preseason

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
The team is coming back pretty much intact. Why would you change the formula that won the cup?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Same exact lineup as they ended last year with, but with Daley in for Lovejoy. These polls shouldn't be interesting until the poll for starting Fleury or Murray game 1 happens.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
HBK all day.
It's a matchup nightmare and Sid/Geno aren't killing themselves during the RS.
Sully also gets Hags and Phil time with the big boys throughout games a lil more.
Just need the plug and play wingers to do their jobs well.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yes, the HBK line gives them a huge edge in matchups. Maybe put Kessel with Sid or Geno when down a goal (or just switch things up), but otherwise leave that line intact.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Of course it should stay together... until the league proves they can find a way to beat those matchup problems consistently, keep plaiying them on a regular basis or at least a semi-regular basis so the chemistry is maintained. No reason not to keep going with it for now. It's effective.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Of course it should stay together... until the league proves they can find a way to beat those matchup problems consistently, keep plaiying them on a regular basis or at least a semi-regular basis so the chemistry is maintained. No reason not to keep going with it for now. It's effective.

It really does seem like the NHL has adopted the Boxing/MMA axiom of "Styles Make Fights".

Fordy

May 28, 2008
stay together is a weird way to say it. crosby and malkin need to get some shifts with them of it's gonna look ugly

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
stay together is a weird way to say it. crosby and malkin need to get some shifts with them of it's gonna look ugly

I agree with you in a way. I wouldn't break them up to start, why mess with a good thing. However, there will come a time when either HBK doesn't keep up with the expectations from last season for whatever reason, or Crosby and Malkin are getting the most out of their wingers but it's not enough because they simply aren't wingers who should be playing that high in the depth chart. You're going to need to let them play with the best wingers on the team at some point even-strength.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Why wouldn't you run the same cup winning lineup until results force you to change? I don't get people wanting to fix incredibly-unbroken things.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Gotta start with that line and depth. It worked in the playoffs, you have to do it. Not only that - you can preserve a **** load of ice time for Sid/Geno/Kessel/Hornqvist/etc. by running 4 lines non stop. It makes too much sense.

Just like I screamed and whined day after day with DB - at least start with what won you the Cup. Don't go overthinking this one.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why wouldn't you run the same cup winning lineup until results force you to change? I don't get people wanting to fix incredibly-unbroken things.

Is there a reason that we shouldn't start off with them? They won't stay together for an entire season, but to they should start off together without question IMO.

RB is putting together basically an HF Pens makes the Penguins Line thread. This is a starter. We did it last year, I believe, and in years before. It's the easiest way to start the eventual HF Pens Lineup.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just gonna depend on how well, presumably, Kunitz and Rust do with Malkin.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would really shock me if Hagelin - Crosby - Kessel wouldn't be one of the best lines in the NHL.

It would shock me even more if they don't even try it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Now that Cullen has signed and Vesey is gone, this should be very boring until Game 1. Keep the same lineup that won the Cup (Daley in for Lovejoy, obviously) until it doesn't work or there are injuries.

About the only tinkering Sullivan should try is inserting Wilson for Sheary, but even then, Sheary should get the first crack at it.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We should definitely start with them. It gives us a solid scoring line while we try out different options in the top six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad