Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #4

Who is the Avs #4 Prospect?

• RW - Nikolai Kovalenko - 2018 #171 - (10)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Things finally get interesting, as two players split the vote and Martin Kaut pulls to #3 on the list, jumping two spots up after making his NHL debut.

Added Nikolai Kovalenko.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Looks like this may get interesting again between Timmins and Barron. Given how raw Barron is, even with the injuries I have to go with Timmins here. Barron needs more of a track record before I can put him ahead of a guy who is basically NHL ready despite the question marks about his durability.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Voted Timmins. I think Barron's ceiling is about the same as Timmins' but the latter obviously has a higher floor. That's probably where NHL readiness outweights injury history.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It is a tough call between the two Timmins and Barron. Timmins gets one more year of the benefit of the doubt especially since it seems like the Avs actually want to play him. I don’t think his skating is factored in nearly enough tho. Barron is significantly better in that dept tho isn’t quite as smart as Timmins. I do feel like they have similar ceilings. I don’t take the injury issues as a discount here as much because nobody behind Timmins is a slam dunk to make it anyway.

Add Ranta

Last edited:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I voted Barron on the basis that I'm worried about Timmins' inability to take a hit. Every time someone approached him in the Playoffs he very narrowly got out of the way of the hit and when he finally got caught with one (which wasn't a very hard hit, he didn't brace himself along the boards properly) he was out with another concussion. On multiple occasions he looked like a deer that just got out of the way of a car and it made me hold my breath every time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Another "Timmins shouldn't touch the top 5 regardless of how talented he is" post, thus why I am voting for Bowers.

Please add JL Foudy.

Psycho Mantis

Jul 29, 2020
Timmy over Red Barron, but it’s close.

Bowers is close for me too. I think he’s underrated.

Add Jean-Luc, please and thank you.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Went Barron, I just can’t see putting stock into Timmins until he can play a couple seasons injury free.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
As I noted before, I think Timmins is just as likely to be out of the league in three years as he is to be a reliable player. And I just see that 34% believe he will only play between 2 and 50 games for the Avs.

While Barron had some health issues of his own, they’re more likely to be behind him than for Timmins. Plus, it seems like Barrons skill set lines up with how the Avs want to play. So I voted for Barron.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Shane Bowers because I think his floor still gives him a decade long NHL career in a bottom 6. I think his ceiling is a second liner but I’m not overly optimistic he gets there.
Do you think he has the offense to be a 2nd liner? Even if we were a bad team that seems like a bit of a stretch. He seems more like a 3C ceiling/4LW floor type of player, and there's nothing wrong with that as we need those roles filled going forwards.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Do you think he has the offense to be a 2nd liner? Even if we were a bad team that seems like a bit of a stretch. He seems more like a 3C ceiling/4LW floor type of player, and there's nothing wrong with that as we need those roles filled going forwards.
I could see him having Brandon Saad like “Cy Young” numbers where he fits into a top 6. He drives the net, he stays in front of the net and he has good hands in front of the net. He has great speed too. If he finds himself with a good playmaker he’s going to score goals off the rush. There’s a reason his stats improved so much when he moved to wing. He doesn’t have a high end skill set nor does he really make people around him better. What he can do is win races, get to the net and score goals. I think he’s 100% a winger who can chip in 20+ consistently if put in the right situation.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Went with Timmins, but just barely. Surprised to see him running away with this one. I'm not surprised that a lot of folks are voting for Barron, but I'd have a really hard time putting him over Bowers. I will admit that I'm not well versed in Barron yet, but the shiny new toy syndrome seems to be strong here. I agree with @Cousin Eddie that Bowers is likely to have a solid career as a bottom sixer. Barron on the other hand is a big question mark. This year will be key for him. I hope I feel like putting him in our top 3 prospects at this time next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad