HF Retro Game of the Year - 1999 - Age of Empires II Wins!

Game of the year back in 1999?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
you could legitimately argue that several of these games are among the best ever made. I would happily vote for AOE2 or UT in another year, but this year had Alpha Centauri and Alpha Centauri was boss. I could tell you how it's a great game, or a game that has no flaws, but all I'll tell you is that I've never learned more from a game or had a game that made me stop and think about what I'd just learned. Alpha Centauri provides a crash course in history, philosophy, politics, business, warfare, literature, and physics. Playing one game should count as college credit for a humanities degree. It is beautiful, compelling, haunting, and fantastically entertaining. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to play a video game they'll remember all their lives.

Reactions: SniperHF

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I know Alpha Centauri & System Shock 2 were probably better...but I was too young to appreciate them in 1998 and going back and trying to play them for the first time well after the fact proved fruitless.

So RollerCoaster Tycoon it is. Hundreds of blissful hours there, this gets brownie points because I was obsessed with roller coasters when I was younger...still kinda am, really.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Age of Empires II and Rollercoaster Tycoon for me.
Went with Age of Empires II.
Still remains as one of my all time favorite online playing experiences.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This one was actually a tough one for me, but I think the original Super Smash Bros had a huge impact on me.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I had way more fun with Smash 64 than I have had with any subsequent iteration. It was just so freaking mind blowing.

Roller Coaster Tycoon and THPS would be my runner ups.

The clearest trend in these winners is that HF like open world games. Smash could become the first fighter, or even just first non action, adventure, rpg sorta thing. No racers or sports or fighting winners yet. Edit: Civ 4 realky the only that wouldn’t fall into that vague description.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The trend is see is HF did not do a lot of deep diving into PC gaming.

Has anyone on here even played Planescape?

Planescape Torment was a fantastic story but the gameplay was pretty weak and it's only really worth playing once.

The D&D mechanics were definitely inferior to BG2 which is fine because it was meant to be story-driven as opposed to engine-driven. As a D&D guy though, I was disappointed in the combat.

Alpha Centauri might represent the zenith of 4X gaming under the Sid Meier and Brian Reynolds banner, and I still play it to this day, so it gets my vote.

I never played SS2 although I'm obviously aware of how many people rave about it.

Heroes 3 was the best one as well - very tempting.

Last edited:

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Heroes 3 all the way, AoE2 was alot of fun but I sank days away in those maps in heroes. Some solid couch co-op play too, friends and I had so much fun with that game and its expansions. Special place for Silent Hill too, first game that that I was afraid to play!

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The trend is see is HF did not do a lot of deep diving into PC gaming.

Has anyone on here even played Planescape?

I think PC gaming will always be less popular than console gaming as it's not as accessible, and back in the day split-screen was huge which would draw people together to play games (Smash Bros is a good example of that). I know PC had LAN parties, they were just much less common.

I've played everything on the list aside from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, SoulCalibur, and EverQuest. I voted Smash mainly based on the fun factor, but also because of the replay value and how the game still holds up.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Literally every game I would have voted for isn't included. You put in Rollercoaster Tycoon and not Crash Team Racing? Come on.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I managed to play three of the games on the list. I'm amazed. Went with Age of Empires II. Not a fan of Quake III: Arena too much. Unreal Tournament was all right but UT2K3 was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad