HF Retro Game of the Year - 1992 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1992?

• Alone in the Dark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contra III: the Alien Wars

• Ecco the Dolphin

• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

• Kirby

• Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

• Mario Paint

• Super Mario Land 2 (GB)

• Super Star Wars

• Total voters

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Fate of Atlantis is a better Indie movie then Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull.

Star Control 2 is an incredibly underrated game. It was incredibly ambitious for its time. Hell plenty of modern games can't compete with its writing an dialogue trees.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of influential games in this crop.

Went with Mario Kart, but I could have easily voted for half a dozen others.

Star Control II is probably my personal favourite. It might have one of the best soundtracks ever made.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Tempted to vote Lunar: The Silver Star Story...but I wasn't even aware of that until the PlayStation re-release and it'd be sacrilege to 6 year-old me to say anything other than Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

I loved Mario Kart more than most back in the day...but...no. That series became a phenomenon during the N64 for a reason. The original was merely a good game that didn't age particularly well.

member 157595

Tempted to vote Lunar: The Silver Star Story...but I wasn't even aware of that until the PlayStation re-release and it'd be sacrilege to 6 year-old me to say anything other than Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

I loved Mario Kart more than most back in the day...but...no. That series became a phenomenon during the N64 for a reason. The original was merely a good game that didn't age particularly well.

Agreed. I'm not a particularly huge fan of the original MK. MK64 was a significantly better game for me.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

I had more fun with the original MK than the N64 version and if I had to play one or the other I'm firing up the SNES.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Honestly I don't think Mortal Kombat or Mario Kart should be getting major votes.

The original MK isn't a very good fighting game, and it thrived on its over the top violence and gore and its video captured graphics was different looking.

The orginal Mario Kart is a fun game made to show off the SNES mode 7 stuff, but as others said the series took off with 64 because of the systems 4 player support for multi-player.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Here's my proposal for 1991 games. Not going to lie, some games I included just based on name recognition alone and not having actually played them, so let me know if they should be removed or replaced with other games.

• Battletoads
  • Civilization
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Lemmings
  • Mega Man 4
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
  • Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
  • Streets of Rage
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Tecmo Super Bowl

Some other games that might be worthy of joining the list:
  • Bonk's Revenge
  • Neverwinter Nights
  • Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
  • Super Ghouls n Ghosts
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The orginal Mario Kart is a fun game made to show off the SNES mode 7 stuff, but as others said the series took off with 64 because of the systems 4 player support for multi-player.

I somewhat agree, but an argument can be made that Super Mario Kart has aged just as well, if not better, than Mario Kart 64. SMK's created the foundation of the gameplay for the rest of the series, with drifting and item boxes from the get go, along with excellent track designs that are still being remade in Mario Kart games to date. It also had some of the best replay value out of any SNES game.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Too bad the best version of Street Fighter 2 came out in 94
Agreed - but talking about impact on the industry - MK didn't really have much. It doesn't have serious staying power - the sequels now are like... fine but not top games. It didn't have a ton of influence on the genre - outside of Primal Rage I can't think of something where you would say emulate it. It's not the most impressive game in the genre/icon of the genre. I would say that is obviously SF2, and I don't even know if it supersedes Tekken or Soul Calibur in the genre.

It's an interesting piece of history because of all the handwringing that went over the violence. I'd watch a documentary about MK. I wouldn't replay it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thought about this one for quite a while and ended on Mortal Kombat. Loved TMNT and Sonic 2 as a kid, and Mario Kart speaks for itself, but MK was my jam. I was absolutely awful at the game, but still just so much fun.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Agreed - but talking about impact on the industry - MK didn't really have much. It doesn't have serious staying power - the sequels now are like... fine but not top games. It didn't have a ton of influence on the genre - outside of Primal Rage I can't think of something where you would say emulate it. It's not the most impressive game in the genre/icon of the genre. I would say that is obviously SF2, and I don't even know if it supersedes Tekken or Soul Calibur in the genre.

It's an interesting piece of history because of all the handwringing that went over the violence. I'd watch a documentary about MK. I wouldn't replay it.

Yeah it didn't really bring anything new to the fighting genre. Its graphical style was mimicked by a few failed games. Its mechanics were nothing innovative or unique.

I guess it's influence is on mature games and gore, but other games were doing that too. If it wasn't MK. It would have been some other game causing an uproar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad