HF Retro Game of the Year - 1992 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1992?

• Alone in the Dark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Contra III: the Alien Wars

• Ecco the Dolphin

• Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

• Kirby

• Kirby's Dream Land (GB)

• Mario Paint

• Super Mario Land 2 (GB)

• Super Star Wars

• Total voters

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I went with TMNT: Turtles in Time.
Runner ups would be Super Mario Kart > Wolfenstein 3D > Super Mario Land 2 > Sonic the Hedgehog 2 > Mortal Kombat > Mario Paint.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As legendary as Turtles in Time was back in the day, I still gotta give it to King's Quest. Love that series.

The true winner in my book is Quest for Glory III: Wages of War.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I went with Dune II. It did for RTSes what Doom did for FPSes. Its success inspired Blizzard to make Warcraft and its own development team to follow it up with Command & Conquer and the rest is history.

I also loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but it was one of many great adventure games around that time and didn't innovate its genre like Dune II.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Macho Man

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I went with Dune II. It did for RTSes what Doom did for FPSes. It inspired Blizzard to make Warcraft, then the makers of Dune II made Command & Conquer and the rest is history.

Yeah, I owe the vast majority of my childhood gaming to what came from Dune II, but I never played it. :laugh:

member 157595

My favorite game on the list is easily Dragon Quest V but I won't let DQ fanboyism influence my vote here. Need to think about this one.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
For some reason I have really fond memories of Super Mario Land 2. It might have been the most challenging Mario game I've ever played (for me it's between that, and Super Mario Bros 2 and 3), but I remember it was a lot of fun and really rewarding to play. Probably the best platformer I've played on a handheld.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
some good ones there for sure ...but Mortal Kombat would be my favorite from that list. still play it from time to time.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I went with Dune II. It did for RTSes what Doom did for FPSes. Its success inspired Blizzard to make Warcraft and its own development team to follow it up with Command & Conquer and the rest is history.

I also loved Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but it was one of many great adventure games around that time and didn't innovate its genre like Dune II.
I think we just have the same taste in games.

I agree - Dune II by a mile for me.

Reactions: Osprey

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Lunar is a personal favourite so I'll make the case.

Cutscenes in 1992 with the might of the Sega CD!

hqdefault.jpg

wg5k8rYfOzQEF5l9C9DVy22JhNV__Njb5rWEIMRLj8emwphxb4vq1NxlrHqBqK8O3bVpIclUJyBJPlyf692OEuYrWdwdcM61Kyn-SLACTsLnrMRshMrV92cpdEZKVGSBET8MkNz_cyx4apfuoEMpXA

Good music

Timeless RPG gameplay that's resulted in three (3) separate remakes (Saturn/PSX, GBA, PSP)

lunar-the-silver-star-170621-012601.png

I never had a Sega CD, but I played this original version via emulator after loving the PSX remake for years. Certainly has some quality of life issues but still holds up pretty damn well for a game that's almost 30 years old now.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
wow those are some epic choices.
Ended up going with Mario kart but was torn between Mario Kart, Mortal Combat and Wolfenstein 3D. You could almost argue that Wolfenstein was more important than Doom was to the FPS as it was the precursor to Doom.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Lunar is a personal favourite so I'll make the case.

Cutscenes in 1992 with the might of the Sega CD!

hqdefault.jpg

wg5k8rYfOzQEF5l9C9DVy22JhNV__Njb5rWEIMRLj8emwphxb4vq1NxlrHqBqK8O3bVpIclUJyBJPlyf692OEuYrWdwdcM61Kyn-SLACTsLnrMRshMrV92cpdEZKVGSBET8MkNz_cyx4apfuoEMpXA

Good music

Timeless RPG gameplay that's resulted in three (3) separate remakes (Saturn/PSX, GBA, PSP)

lunar-the-silver-star-170621-012601.png

I never had a Sega CD, but I played this original version via emulator after loving the PSX remake for years. Certainly has some quality of life issues but still holds up pretty damn well for a game that's almost 30 years old now.

I've played most versions of this game. It is the equivalent to a movie you can watch over and over. Other RPGs do things better, but there is just something about this game...

I like the characters, story, and music. I like having 5 members to a party. I like the art style a ton (especially the SegaCD and PSX versions, the PSP remake is cool and all, but I love the old sprites).

A lot of people grew up with the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest/Chrono Trigger games as their foundation to JRPGs, but this game was mine.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
wow those are some epic choices.
Ended up going with Mario kart but was torn between Mario Kart, Mortal Combat and Wolfenstein 3D. You could almost argue that Wolfenstein was more important than Doom was to the FPS as it was the precursor to Doom.

Mario Kart was my runner up. What a fun game. And I'm with you on the Wolfenstein opinion.

This is definitely a stacked list. So many good games.

Reactions: tacogeoff

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Mario Kart was my runner up. What a fun game. And I'm with you on the Wolfenstein opinion.

This is definitely a stacked list. So many good games.
Unpopular opinion - Wolfenstein 3Ds contribution is overstated. Ultima Underwold came out earlier, had many of the same contributions, and was frankly a better game.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Unpopular opinion - Wolfenstein 3Ds contribution is overstated. Ultima Underwold came out earlier, had many of the same contributions, and was frankly a better game.

but wasn't Ultima Underworld a RPG and Wolfenstien 3d more of a fast paced fps? or do you mean just in the first person 3d graphical design?

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Mario Kart narrowly over Super Star Wars and Mortal Kombat. I wish that all Rainbow Roads had followed OG Mario Kart's design and had no walls whatsoever. So much fun on that map playing 1v1 and bumping your friend off the ledge.

Reactions: McRpro

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
but wasn't Ultima Underworld a RPG and Wolfenstien 3d more of a fast paced fps? or do you mean just in the first person 3d graphical design?
Wolfenstein was a bit more twitch based, but UU did not have much in common with its forebears when it comes to being an RPG.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Wolfenstein 3D had a superior control scheme and faster gameplay, though, and those things had a greater effect on the industry, such that even RPGs would eventually adopt them. UU may've been the better game, but I don't think that it contributed as much to the overall direction of gaming as Wolf3D did.

Reactions: SniperHF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2