Prospect Info: HF Leafs Board Prospect Ranking Making a Return After the Draft

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Howdy Folks.

For the 4th year running I will be doing the prospect rankings. I will be holding a poll every day and we will rank our top 30 prospects in the system as a group. We will find out how the posters on HF boards rank the prospects in our system.

Spencer Abbott
Cameron Abney
Carter Ashton
Antoine Bibeau
Tyler Biggs
David Broll
Connor Brown
Tony Cameranesi
Sam Carrick
Jerry D'Amigo
Max Everson
Jamie Devane
Matt Finn
Frederik Gauthier
Chris Gibson
Petter Granberg
Teemu Hartikainen
Fabrice Herzog
Peter Holland
Andreas Johnson
Eric Knodel
Brandon Kozun
Josh Leivo
Victor Loov
Andrew MacWilliam
Greg McKegg
Kevin Marshall
Tom Nilsson
Stuart Percy
Morgan Rielly
Brad Ross
Ryan Rupert
Kenny Ryan
Garret Sparks
Dominic Toninato
Carter Verhaeghe

As well as the prospects picked this upcoming draft
(this means there could be close to 50 prospects to choose from, making for some competitive polls)

Here is an Example of what the poll will look like from a couple years ago.

Two Important Questions:

Should guys like Peter Holland, and Morgan Rielly be included? Perhaps a guy like Kevin Marshall or Spencer Abbott who is getting to old?

& Am I missing any prospects who are Leafs prospects at the moment? Are any of the prospects I named above not Leaf property anymore that I mistakenly put on the list?

I hope to see all of you voting in the rankings beginning a day or 2 after the draft. :)

2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

*List of prospects is subject to change.

Last edited:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Marshall should be included if others such as Abbott (who is older than Marshall) are included.

I would just include them all. Rielly + whoever we pick will likely go the first 2, I'm curious to see which will be more highly rated. Probably Rielly if we stay at 8, but if we move up that could change.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Marshall should be included if others such as Abbott (who is older than Marshall) are included.

I would just include them all. Rielly + whoever we pick will likely go the first 2, I'm curious to see which will be more highly rated. Probably Rielly if we stay at 8, but if we move up that could change.

I also would like to know if Abbott should be in it too. :laugh: I need more answers dammit!

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I don't think you should include Rielly or players over 25.

I don't think that players that old, or with that much experience are really prospects anymore.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Rielly is in the NHL for good.

Anyone over 25 shouldn't really be considered a prospect IMO. How many players break into the NHL after the age of 25?

TheThrill81*

Are you joking? the kid is 20 for crying out loud.

HF has criteria for what constitutes a prospect

A player will be considered a prospect until he meets the following criteria:

If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

Rielly played in 73 games in his rookie season, so he's no longer a prospect according to HF.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I understand the reasoning, but I have hard time considering Kozun a prospect and not Rielly.

If you are 24 and older, you're not considered a prospect either..

Rielly is considered graduated and an NHL player. He's not longer a prospect because he's a full-time NHLer.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would remove Cameron Abney. He's 99% not going to be apart of this franchise going forward.

I think you could make a case to remove Abbott, Hartikainen, Kozun and Marshall but they are still technically prospects I believe so it's fine either way.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
If you are 24 and older, you're not considered a prospect either..

Rielly is considered graduated and an NHL player. He's not longer a prospect because he's a full-time NHLer.

Agreed. Even just looking at the definition of the word prospect in the dictionary states:

1. the possibility or likelihood of some future event occurring.
"there was no prospect of a reconciliation"

2. a person regarded as likely to succeed or as a potential customer, client, etc.

If we're looking at these guys and their likeliness of making the NHL then players who have already played a season in the big show don't count as they've already achieved the goal. The same sort of apply's to players over 25 who's odds of making it by now are slim to none. In short, these players are known commodities for the most part.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I also would like to know if Abbott should be in it too. :laugh: I need more answers dammit!

You will get your answers soon enough as Leafs have numerous RFA and even UFAs among their list of current prospects.

Qualifying offers to retain players are required by the end of this month. Players that do not receive them become UFAs.

Spencer Abbott is on the list of RFAs and may not be back next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Rielly is in the NHL for good.

Anyone over 25 shouldn't really be considered a prospect IMO. How many players break into the NHL after the age of 25?

Agreed there should be an upper age limit and < 25 seems logical.

Even if a player > 25 makes the NHL he isn't considered a prospect but rather a journeyman player.

In fact the NHL even changed its rules of eligibility and a 25+ year old player isn't even eligible for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

In fact Calder Trophy eligibility is a good way to determine prospect status because if you no longer qualify for the award ie. Rielly then you're no longer considered a prospect in the eyes of the NHL.

Last edited:

member 147413

I think players with 50+ NHL games should not be included, as well as players over 25.

member 147413

To clarify, I think this should be our list of eligible prospects in addition to the newly drafted players.

Gauthier - F
McKegg - F
Verhaeghe - F
Cameranisi - F
Toninato - F
Rupert - F
Carrick - F
Brown - F
Herzog - F
Johnson - F
Biggs - F
Ashton - F
Kozun - F
Ryan - F
Abney - F
Leivo - F
D'Amigo - F
Ross - F
Broll - F
Devane - F

Finn - D
Percy - D
Knodel - D
Granberg - D
Nilsson - D
Loov - D
MacWilliam - D
Everson - D

Gibson - G
Bibeau - G
Sparks - G

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Agreed there should be an upper age limit and < 25 seems logical.

Even if a player > 25 makes the NHL he isn't considered a prospect but rather a journeyman player.

In fact the NHL even changed its rules of eligibility and a 25+ year old player isn't even eligible for the Calder Trophy as rookie of the year.

In fact Calder Trophy eligibility is a good way to determine prospect status because if you no longer qualify for the award ie. Rielly then you're no longer considered a prospect in the eyes of the NHL.

Rookie criteria also contains "Must not have played 25 games in a previous season", which probably shouldn't apply. If a 20 year old plays 26 games and then returns to the AHL, I'd still consider them a prospect.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I'd count Abbott.
He has 2 AHL seasons under his belt,
and i'd suggest that a player should be a prospect for 3 seasons.
Plenty of players like Sam Carrick (2) Greg McKegg (2) etc should count another year.
Abbott is older, but took a longer development curve/route.
Eric Knodel is another example. (24), rookie year. Are he or Macwilliam (24) no longer part of the 'prospect' farm after one or two seasons? Three seems fairer as a kind of blanket cap rather than an absolute age, given the variety of paths players take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad