OT: HF Jets Lounge | HFBoards: Putting strain on relationships since 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckschmuck*

Originally Posted by Jet
I'm beginning to think my education history is messed up. In Kingston right now and before spending time here, the first people I thought of when I thought Kingston was Don Cherry, Kirk Muller and Doug Gilmour.

I have to say though, it is amazing and gorgeous around here. I can see why people love it around here.

Young people wandering around happily buzzed at night, tonnes of good looking college students (Queen's and RMC), and a friendliness you just don't see in Winnipeg.

Me and my brother were walking around the residential area of historic downtown Kingston last night. We are both pretty big guys, and there was this tiny lady standing on the sidewalk. She gives us a big hello, despite the fact that it was dark and late.

I'd consider moving down in this area. So many options and so much to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you see there is what you are going to see downtown here in about 10 years. I spoke with several condo development agents (all the condo towers going up downtown) as I am considering investing in one or two of these properties, and sales are going through the roof, anywhere from 50 to 80 percent sold, and most of these units are not cheap for what you get. Apparently prices will be going up soon because the sales are going so well so quick. Most possession dates won't occur for another year or two, so that means many will wait to purchase closer to these dates which is common in these kinds of developments. That means there is a demand for high-class living in the downtown. Along with this will come an explosion of restaurants, retail, pubs, etc. which means an extremely vibrant downtown, lasting well past 10 pm. After all the failed attempts at revitalization, this (SHED) is looking to be the catalyst that is so badly needed. Patience is key. People need to understand things don't change overnight. FYI, there are more high-rise condo's and appartements being proposed (need a good mix of these two), so this is only the beginning of the renaissance. Apparently we haven't seen anything yet.

As for the friendliness, I disagree with you. I find Winnipeg a breath of fresh air in terms of people interacting with me positively and friendly-like compared to the hot arrogance and materialistic mentality that thrives in Alberta.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
****ing sunshine. It's too hot and my AC is costing me money and it's noise pollution interfere with my TV viewing.

:sarcasm:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
To people who shop for groceries on Sundays.

WE CLOSE AT SIX NOT SIX THIRTY!

Sincerely,

Nicole who was on an full shift today and couldn't punch out until 20 to 7 today. Thanks so much!

chancemc

Oct 2, 2011
lmao i shop for groceries on sundays quite often usually early afternoon but dam i made the mistake of going at 5 or 530 once and the lines were silly stupid. never again! osborne village safeway is nuts on sundays

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I hate working Sundays, but until I go back to school I have no real choice unless I work Friday nights and yeah no. Not to mention I worked self checkouts all day. Ugh.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
lmao i shop for groceries on sundays quite often usually early afternoon but dam i made the mistake of going at 5 or 530 once and the lines were silly stupid. never again! osborne village safeway is nuts on sundays

I hate grocery shopping. One thing I really miss about the GTA is all the 24/7 grocery stores. I know we have some here but because of or stupid Sunday shopping laws they are not really 24/7.

I am starting to get ready for the season by sending in my road jersey this week for customizing. There will be one more Little jersey out there in about 4 weeks. Also picked up a few creeper sets for my sister's twin boys that were born on the 14th. Can't wait till they are old enough and I can take them to some games!

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Originally Posted by Jet
I'm beginning to think my education history is messed up. In Kingston right now and before spending time here, the first people I thought of when I thought Kingston was Don Cherry, Kirk Muller and Doug Gilmour.

I have to say though, it is amazing and gorgeous around here. I can see why people love it around here.

Young people wandering around happily buzzed at night, tonnes of good looking college students (Queen's and RMC), and a friendliness you just don't see in Winnipeg.

Me and my brother were walking around the residential area of historic downtown Kingston last night. We are both pretty big guys, and there was this tiny lady standing on the sidewalk. She gives us a big hello, despite the fact that it was dark and late.

I'd consider moving down in this area. So many options and so much to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you see there is what you are going to see downtown here in about 10 years. I spoke with several condo development agents (all the condo towers going up downtown) as I am considering investing in one or two of these properties, and sales are going through the roof, anywhere from 50 to 80 percent sold, and most of these units are not cheap for what you get. Apparently prices will be going up soon because the sales are going so well so quick. Most possession dates won't occur for another year or two, so that means many will wait to purchase closer to these dates which is common in these kinds of developments. That means there is a demand for high-class living in the downtown. Along with this will come an explosion of restaurants, retail, pubs, etc. which means an extremely vibrant downtown, lasting well past 10 pm. After all the failed attempts at revitalization, this (SHED) is looking to be the catalyst that is so badly needed. Patience is key. People need to understand things don't change overnight. FYI, there are more high-rise condo's and appartements being proposed (need a good mix of these two), so this is only the beginning of the renaissance. Apparently we haven't seen anything yet.

As for the friendliness, I disagree with you. I find Winnipeg a breath of fresh air in terms of people interacting with me positively and friendly-like compared to the hot arrogance and materialistic mentality that thrives in Alberta.

Caveat Emptor Puck

There are a number of warning signs on the market. The Feds have started taking steps to slow the market. The reason they want to slow the market is there is a market correction coming, and has already started. They want the price correction (-20-40%) to happen slowly, rather than do what happened in the US with the big fat nose dive. Current Canadian household debt ratio sits @ a staggering 161.5 %, and people have been buying "as much house as they can afford".
Current house prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years, yet wages have barely budged. I could go on and on, but it is very long winded, and probably mostly boring.
I am not trained in the markets either, it is just something I like following for some stupid reason...stocks and tech companies too. I guess I am in the wrong profession...but I digress.
I am not saying that it is not a good investment, but the general consensus has been the time to buy has passed, those selling are now making their peak profits, there may be some upswing still, but reportedly in the last article I read, these upswings are concerning. Some economists are saying right now that the market will slide down at a reasonable pace if everything stays status quo, but if there is some sudden event that drives prices down too fast or interest rates up too fast, it will collapse.
Arm yourself with the most info you can get including projections of the local market for condos. There is always money to be made even in cooling markets, just need to be smart about it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very hot day at the lake today so lots of time in the water with the family......better late than never.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Caveat Emptor Puck

There are a number of warning signs on the market. The Feds have started taking steps to slow the market. The reason they want to slow the market is there is a market correction coming, and has already started. They want the price correction (-20-40%) to happen slowly, rather than do what happened in the US with the big fat nose dive. Current Canadian household debt ratio sits @ a staggering 161.5 %, and people have been buying "as much house as they can afford".
Current house prices have skyrocketed in the past 10 years, yet wages have barely budged. I could go on and on, but it is very long winded, and probably mostly boring.
I am not trained in the markets either, it is just something I like following for some stupid reason...stocks and tech companies too. I guess I am in the wrong profession...but I digress.
I am not saying that it is not a good investment, but the general consensus has been the time to buy has passed, those selling are now making their peak profits, there may be some upswing still, but reportedly in the last article I read, these upswings are concerning. Some economists are saying right now that the market will slide down at a reasonable pace if everything stays status quo, but if there is some sudden event that drives prices down too fast or interest rates up too fast, it will collapse.
Arm yourself with the most info you can get including projections of the local market for condos. There is always money to be made even in cooling markets, just need to be smart about it.

Good post

Last week I was about to say how insane the new home starts are in South Winnipeg. waverly west is a city......Sage creek is nuts. Even areas like Laselle, I was out for a golf tournament last week and the development in that area around the gold coarse is pretty intense. That is just the south of the city I am sure areas to the north are feeling it as well.

I feel very cheap money from banks is the culprit. I have no reason to believe there will be a run on interest rates but if there ever was..........:help:

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Good post

Last week I was about to say how insane the new home starts are in South Winnipeg. waverly west is a city......Sage creek is nuts. Even areas like Laselle, I was out for a golf tournament last week and the development in that area around the gold coarse is pretty intense. That is just the south of the city I am sure areas to the north are feeling it as well.

I feel very cheap money from banks is the culprit. I have no reason to believe there will be a run on interest rates but if there ever was..........:help:

Yeah my parents were looking in Laselle when they moved back from Toronto and that area around the course they are looking for $100,000 just for the lots! They ended up settling in Oakbank.

I have been trying to get out of my apartment for a few years now and the pricing here for the newer areas is just Pejorative Slured. I am not even looking for anything huge. I feel the same way as Snot Rocket but at the same time everything is still going up up up. I really do like those new condo's across from MTS but I am still unsure if the SHED is going to work out as planned. I just signed my lease for one more year so we'll see.

Puckschmuck*

Yeah my parents were looking in Laselle when they moved back from Toronto and that area around the course they are looking for $100,000 just for the lots! They ended up settling in Oakbank.

I have been trying to get out of my apartment for a few years now and the pricing here for the newer areas is just Pejorative Slured. I am not even looking for anything huge. I feel the same way as Snot Rocket but at the same time everything is still going up up up. I really do like those new condo's across from MTS but I am still unsure if the SHED is going to work out as planned. I just signed my lease for one more year so we'll see.

There are no reasons to believe the SHED won't turn out at this point. Just like there are no indications that the new Arena district in Edmonton won't turn out as planned, like many are clamouring. As for housing prices, "alarm bells" have been going on and off for years, and yet nothing significant has happened. I get what y'all are saying, and I'm not denying the possibility. However, life is full of risks, and lets just say I will have more than enough money to play with in a year from now. I could be the guy who never takes risks because, well, there is always risks. For me, investing in my city is important to me, especially when the rest of this continent continues to write it off like it's nothing, and never will be anything great. **** that and **** every single person out there saying it; whoever you are. I have loads of civic pride, as many of you know, and I want to do what I can to help make this city the best city around. Doing nothing because you are fearful of any consequences, well, that is the biggest risk there is for me.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
There are no reasons to believe the SHED won't turn out at this point. Just like there are no indications that the new Arena district in Edmonton won't turn out as planned, like many are clamouring. As for housing prices, "alarm bells" have been going on and off for years, and yet nothing significant has happened. I get what y'all are saying, and I'm not denying the possibility. However, life is full of risks, and lets just say I will have more than enough money to play with in a year from now. I could be the guy who never takes risks because, well, there is always risks. For me, investing in my city is important to me, especially when the rest of this continent continues to write it off like it's nothing, and never will be anything great. **** that and **** every single person out there saying it; whoever you are. I have loads of civic pride, as many of you know, and I want to do what I can to help make this city the best city around. Doing nothing because you are fearful of any consequences, well, that is the biggest risk there is for me.

No fear, just calculated risk with the odds of success in your favour. Invest using your head, not the heart and never get attached to an investment.

There, you have 2 free investment strats (clichés) for the day.

BTW I was not referring to shed not panning out, I am talking about the return on your investment in a condo if the purchase price is high, and the market will not bear the current price. You pay say 200k for a condo, market corrects to -25%, you just lost 50k, that is depreciation of your investment.
Inflated valuation of property is something that real estate agents (or anyone in sales) uses. "Better buy now, the price is only going to go up!"
It might be true, that is why I say...research before putting your money in.
Just unsolicited advice.

I say good luck and may your investments work out in your favour! (Not implying they won't)

Puckschmuck*

No fear, just calculated risk with the odds of success in your favour. Invest using your head, not the heart and never get attached to an investment.

There, you have 2 free investment strats (clichés) for the day.

BTW I was not referring to shed not panning out, I am talking about the return on your investment in a condo if the purchase price is high, and the market will not bear the current price. You pay say 200k for a condo, market corrects to -25%, you just lost 50k, that is depreciation of your investment.
Inflated valuation of property is something that real estate agents (or anyone in sales) uses. "Better buy now, the price is only going to go up!"
It might be true, that is why I say...research before putting your money in.
Just unsolicited advice.

I say good luck and may your investments work out in your favour! (Not implying they won't)

Did you happen to mention not investing with your heart to Mark Chipman or David Thomson? Something tells me either you didn't, or they didn't take your advice ;)

Again, I get what you are saying, but sometimes there has to be an emotional investment with your money. For me, I have to really believe and care about what I'm putting my money into. If I care about my investment, that means I will take good care of it. Not to mention it has to be something I believe in, and based on my own research, it's something that is going to transform our downtown into the hottest entertainment spot for a large regional area. That is something I care about and want to do my part in. If it didn't make sense, I wouldn't touch it. Sales are going great, so that means there is confidence in the market. I'm anxious to see the next two proposal towers (Fortress and the one in The Exchange, 42 and 24 stories respectively) hopefully getting approval, and I'll be monitoring sales on those. If they get the same kind of sales as the rest, that is a great indication that there is still ample room in the local market for these kinds of residential units. The ONLY thing that has hampered certain condo developments is the lack of parking pads. Those units haven't sold, in some cases being on the market for close to two years. Guess where I won't be investing my money?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Attachments

• Bunny 1.JPG
    Bunny 1.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 9

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm at work still. The air conditioning doesn't work well on the 2nd floor because it's part of a gigantic atrium from the main floor. Cool air doesn't really find its way here. When it's hot out it's really hot in here. :( At least I'm not working outside.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Just got back from a bachelor party weekend in minny I held it down boys! Btw tons of tail down there if your single (I'm not) but still had fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad