Kean | Chiesa | ********* | Havertz | Mere | *****
Vinicius Jr. | ********* | ********* | ******* | ********** | *****
Havertz | ********* | ********* | ******* | ********** | *****

3-4-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Sane* - Paredes - Kovacec - Florenzi*
Christensen - Boateng - Soyuncu**
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Zielinski | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-3-4
Sanchez* - Belotti* - Werner* - Sane*
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Rulli

Kalinic* | Kean* | Vinicius Jr.* | Chiesa* | Sessegnon* | Florenzi | Havertz | Diawara | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

3-1-4-2 (defensive)
Sanchez - Belotti/Werner
Sane - Kovacec* - Diawara* - Florenzi
Paredes
Rulli

Belotti/Werner | Kalinic | Kean | Vinicius Jr. | Chiesa | Sessegnon | Havertz | Zielinski* | Musacchio** | Mere | Onana

4-3-3
Sanchez - Belotti - Werner
Kovacec - Zielinski
Paredes
Chiesa* - Christensen - Boateng - Florenzi
Rulli

Kalinic | Kean | Sane | Vinicius Jr. | Sessegnon* | Havertz | Diawara | Soyuncu* | Musacchio | Mere* | Onana​

How we'll play

Flexible, fluid, and exhausting to press. Those are the fundamentals of this squad. With the personnel on hand this team can switch between multiple shapes to dominate the middle of the pitch; and can also burn you on the counter. When we have the ball you won't get it back until we're in your box. You can try to press this team but it'll just exhaust your attacking players; as my back three are all excellent on the ball & mobile; my midfielders excel at pressing resistance; and the forwards have the skill to operate in tight spaces when teams retreat back after their failed pressing. Which is the plan, we will push teams deep into their own half, where Sanchez & Werner will drift off of Belotti to create chances for one of the trio to pounce on. Everyone in my squad is smart, slick & careful with the ball; so possession will never be given away cheaply, and though we can rip a team up on the counter if they come out high up the pitch against us; our priority is avoiding pressing and pushing the opposition back into a parked bus. Against whom we can circulate the ball until our dribblers have a chance to force an opening for our clinical finishers to capitalize on.

Against the ball we can press aggressively high up the pitch; but that won't be what guides this team, as we will also drop into our own half, setting the second line of pressing a 10-15 yards before the halfway line. Trying to conserve our attackers legs, and also trying to trick teams into coming up the pitch before burning them with Lexi & Werner on the break to pin them back into the parked bus we want them in.

Formationally we'll primarily vacillate between the 3-4-3 and the 3-1-4-2/3-3-4 most of the time; depending on whether we need the extra man in the midfield or not.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
-------------Ronaldo------Dolberg----------------
Eriksen--------------------------------------Pulisic
--------Gagliardini--------Goretzka--------------
Rose--------Godin------Ramos----------Henrichs

-------------------Buerki--------------------------

Bench:

Fahrmann: GK
Caldara:CB
Klostermann: RB/LB/CB
Davies: DM/CM
Kagawa: CAM/CM
Gnabry: LW/RW/CF
Stindl: SS/CAM/CF

Reserves:

Plizzari: GK
Kehrer: CB/LB/CDM
McKennie: DM/CM
Vazquez: LW/RW

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
CF | W/AM | CM | DM | FB | CB | GK
Robert Lewandowski|David Silva|Marek Hamsik|Sergio Busquets|Lucas Digne|Aymeric Laporte|Thibault Courtois
Karim Benzema|Memphis Depay|Claudio Marchisio|Jorginho|Seamus Coleman|Kamil Glik|Timo Horn
Radamel Falcao|Gelson Martins|Wylan Cyprien||Mario Gaspar|Pepe
||Ever Banega||Luke Shaw|Jesus Vallejo

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Attack: Hazard, Dembele, Kane, Carrasco, Modeste, Suso.

Midfield: Herrera, Sanson, Pereira, Bonaventura, Mascherano, Kondogbia.

Defense: Sokratis, Umtiti, Walker, Alonso, Bernat, Perrin, Cahill, Fernandes.

Goalkeeping: Lloris, Asenjo.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
lineup.png

Bench: Alario, Driussi, Correa, Bentancur, Ziyech, Matuidi, Maia, Sanchez, Sarr, Perez, Cillessen

Figured I'd get around to this rather than do something productive. I won't delve too much in to tactics and I'll only touch on the players a bit.

Lack of a top traditional DM means I'm straying from a 4-3-3 for probably the first time. Allan and Matuidi have played DM before, but both are now more CMs really and I want the cover for the backline.

Attack: Nobody touches this top line. That was obvious when I got Neymar, but this season is backing that up. 44 goals and 17 assists thus far for Neymar-Kun-Messi and we're still technically not even halfway through the season. So easily 100 goals from this team overall where as with most other teams in this sort of draft you rarely see that. So goals from all over, but a lot of creativity there to boot. These guys have won at every level and are proven big match performers. Then behind them you've got Pastore. Excellent player who were if not for injuries would get a lot more the due he deserves. He adds a ton more creativity and this season isn't struggling with injuries so much as he is his manager's selection. I would say that playing regularly and in this team would suit him very well.

Midfield: Tough call with selection here. I wanted Allan's defensive work though (guy put up Kante like numbers with Udinese as a DM and still puts up good defensive numbers) along with Ramsey's passing game. Allan not only puts in the defensive work, but going into this season he averaged at least 5 assists a season in the previous four. He's also got a lot of very good experience at this stage in his career. Ramsey while panned yet again when I chose him is a proven big match player. He's also having a good season chipping in 3 goals and 6 assists (which is tied for second in the league) now that he's being played more regularly and in his proper position.

Defense: Really like the quality I have at CB. Marquinhos is arguably the best U-23 CB in the World and he has a ton of proven experience already. Kompany still has it and he's played almost as many matches as last season, so while his injuries are a concern I'll still get some mileage out of him. He brings a ton of experience and leadership as well as a threat on set pieces. Conti was excellent last season and from what I understand looked to be doing well with Milan before his injury. He's a good attacking back (8 goals and 5 assists last season), but he's also pretty sound defensively. Dalbert's Italian move doesn't seem to be going well, but he's hardly been given a lot of chances. He was very good for Nice. Again, a guy who can get forward but who is also defensively sound and who I think would do quite well in this team.

GK: Ter Stegen's season thus far isn't really a surprise. He's already well proven for a GK at the age of 25 and his ability on the ball plays really well into my team.

Bench: Definitely some question marks here and I'm short one bench option at the back, but also some excellent options. Correa has proven himself a very useful option off the bench at Atleti so just imagine what he does with this team and the players he can learn from as he's still only 22. Still he's got two solid seasons under his belt with Atleti already and put up 4 goals and 8 assists in only 10 starts last season. Matuidi is another excellent option on the bench and a player I could see starting his fair share. Not sure if moving to Juventus has worked out so well, but I think he does fine in my team. He's a versatile player who allows me to be a bit versatile with my formation/midfield. Another player who is also pretty proven at the big stage. That brings me to Davinson Sanchez. Already looking pretty good in the Premiership and the times I've seen him play he seemed to have a lot of the defensive responsibility. He'd get plenty of minutes in this team and even affords me the option of playing three at the back. He's already got a ton of great experience and is very proven on some big stages such as the Europa League where he helped take Ajax to the Final but also in winning the Copa Libertadores. That brings me to Ziyech. Thrilled to grab him where I did. He brings a lot of creativity off the bench. He's got some great experience already too and is a great deputy to have for a guy like Pastore. In Cillessen I have a very solid backup who has a lot of experience at the top levels and who also can play the ball from the back. After those players come the question marks, but it's still quite early to judge. Alario and Driussi are quite proven based on their performances for River not only in Agentina but also in the Copa Libertadores. They also are well proven playing together. Both have showed a few sparks thus far in their respective European adventures. I chose Alario in particular because he brings something different up top. Bentancur is a versatile player who I'd use more in midfield. From what I've seen and heard he's impressed with Juventus, but he's been played out of position a bit. As composed as he looks on the ball at his age he still looks a solid option for the future. Thiago Maia looked excellent in Brazil, but in France it sounds like he's had a rough start. Being at Lille might have a lot to do with that though. Still early days but I wouldn't have to rely on him too much just yet. Peres could easily start at RB for me and is an excellent option off the bench. Another threat going forward but also a player who is responsible enough defensively. Sarr for me is a backup CB I was also going to field at LB, but I think CB will be where he gets the lion's share of his minutes as he's not done so well at LB. I really like him as a young CB option because he's left-footed and can play the ball from the back. He's also got good experience for his age.

Overall while this wasn't my favorite draft of all time I'm still very pleased with this side overall and especially how it compares to the rest of the teams. I'd have drafted a bit differently in the middle rounds, but that's only because a few players went higher than I expected. Still to see a team with Messi, Neymar and Aguero and then the rest of this squad in a draft with this many participants... add to that the fact that I had to trade up to get Messi, I had to trade to get Neymar and I made a lot of other trades... Again, very pleased. Going forward there could be some question marks, but considering the strength of this team now I would in the real World be able to buy to fill some holes. And a U-25 core of Neymar, Marquinhos and ter Stegen basically looks as though I've got top 3 players in those positions in the future which is not to mention Neymar looking like the heir to Messi as the World's best player.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t remember most of my team and I don’t know if there is a record of it because of the server move.

I guess we will just have to do another draft.

Reactions: YNWA14

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Ot7D0j2.png

Bench players for each position under the name of the starters. Really solid team IMO. Strong in all 3 areas of the pitch. Missing a Messi, Hazard, de Bruyne type but not surprising given where I picked.

Might add some other formations later.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t remember most of my team and I don’t know if there is a record of it because of the server move.

Always down for another draft. In hindsight I made some pretty bad trades after building a very strong team. I shan't make the same mistake again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
abOAPyhamk.png

I still really love my team. Probably would get more love now than it did in the summer...but that’s usually the case with these things for me because I favor so many younger talents.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very strong team les Habs.

Why thank you. I know you commented on your trades, but I think at least with the Neymar trade the consensus was it brought more balance to your side. Either way you still ended up with some real quality. Mertens is looking like it wasn't a career season and done. Better yet though you've got an incredible back bone that were this real life you could build around it. Kante, de Vrij, Koulibaly and de Gea would serve you well for a good four years at least. The challenge with the squad you ended up with, at least form me, is somewhat putting it altogether. Above where you had two CBs, I would put de Vrij in for Martinez and move Martinez up and over Strootman. Finally, you seem to draft a good amount of players you like. I think that's part of the fun and in this case I didn't get a lot of players I actually like and so it was to a degree not as fun a draft.

Haha. As VEGASKING noted, it's pretty easy to find. Or you can just relive it with all of our PMs. :D

Of course we'll do another this Summer I'm sure. I'd say it'd be more interesting after the World Cup.

Bench players for each position under the name of the starters. Really solid team IMO. Strong in all 3 areas of the pitch. Missing a Messi, Hazard, de Bruyne type but not surprising given where I picked.

Might add some other formations later.

You grabbed some fantastic players. Salah was a real steal for you and my not being a Higuain fan at all I think it's good you added him. Looking at your side I would probably put Guedes over Keita and I think in current form your side becomes even stronger. I also would probably get Sergi Roberto in somehow even if it means not having a traditional DM. If you're going to waste him on the bench then you should have just traded him to me! :mad:

Not happy with my team in hindsight.

:huh: Sure you have some guys that wouldn't interest me, but you have some fantastic players and got some steals with Umtiti and Kondogbia (based on this season's form). Not sure how you'd line up, but your attack would certainly be amazing right away but also for some time going forward. I'd say for you starting XI, at least how I'd line it up, I'd be pretty darn happy with at least six of the starters if not seven. I'm not keen on your depth, at least how I see it, but if you got the starting lineup right I think you'd have one of the stronger sides. I just have to laugh at your refusal to trade me Ander Herrera and now Mourinho doesn't have him as a regular anymore. I still rate him though since Mourinho's got a track record of that sort of thing.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I remember that I asked for Xhaka to be involved in the trade and not Kondogbia at first. Dodged a bullet there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why thank you. I know you commented on your trades, but I think at least with the Neymar trade the consensus was it brought more balance to your side. Either way you still ended up with some real quality. Mertens is looking like it wasn't a career season and done. Better yet though you've got an incredible back bone that were this real life you could build around it. Kante, de Vrij, Koulibaly and de Gea would serve you well for a good four years at least. The challenge with the squad you ended up with, at least form me, is somewhat putting it altogether. Above where you had two CBs, I would put de Vrij in for Martinez and move Martinez up and over Strootman. Finally, you seem to draft a good amount of players you like. I think that's part of the fun and in this case I didn't get a lot of players I actually like and so it was to a degree not as fun a draft.

Yeah but your front 3 is ridiculous and the rest of the team is strong also. A top 3 team in the draft I reckon though I don't remember all the teams off the top of my head.

Yes drafting players I like is always a big part of what ends up happening for me (and trading for them). I still think my team is quite strong though I'd set it up differently now. Definitely wish I'd kept Kondogbia over Xhaka at this point, but I guess I thought he was going to rebound. I'd probably set up like this now:

Mertens - Dzeko
Firmino
Wijnaldum - Demirbay - Kante - Meunier
Koulibaly - Martinez - de Vrij
de Gea​

Still very happy with this obviously but it could have been better, though there's some good depth and young talent on the team also.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well my squad has evolved a bit. Interesting to look in hindsight but things have gone pretty well. Going by form it’s looking like

Immobile
Forsberg Brozovic Koke Callejon
Rabiot
Filipe Luis Hummels Thiago Silva Aurier
Ederson

While my top striker hasn’t played a game yet this season, I can slot in Immobile who is having another great scoring season in Serie A. Rabiot playing a bit deeper for PSG helps his positioning here as well as the Work rate of the players in front of him. Like at City, Bernardo Silva settles for being (one of) the first off the bench (for now) and he certainly could start as well, but again this is the form team.

The defense is still great and Ederson has outplayed his position for sure. The only thing I regretted at the draft was taking Forsberg over Pjanic but these things happen. This is a defense first team with some with an effective striker who will be getting plenty of service. For now that’ll do. Having the last pick in an 18 person draft was really hard, but I could have strategized a little differently too. I tried to double up positionally in order to mitigate that, but it worked better some times than other. Hopefully there not as many teams next round. Either way I’ll be looking forward to the next one

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Martial
Dybala - Mkhitaryan
Kurzawa - Iniesta - Tolisso - Alves
Azpilicueta - Varane - Kimmich
Buffon

SUBS: Ibrahimovic, Krychowiak, Toprak, Lucas Hernandez, Gameiro, Pjaca, Rudy, Hubner, Cuadrado, Butland, Parejo
Very happy with how my squad turned out. Swap in Ibra for Mkhitaryan and it can be a 3-4-1-2 with Dybala in the hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad