HF Board Update questions/issues thread

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's the deal with the lack of current posts when you're not logged in? Are the owners trying to force people to make an account because this site is horrendous to try and view without logging in? I've seen some threads not update with all the posts for three days and the GDT ones miss 98% of the posts on every single page until the next day.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Is there a way to turn of the Similar threads feature.

It's kind of annoying having to scroll past half a screen of pure, unadulterated garbage to get to the "Colorado Avalance" Link at the bottom of the page.

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

It's kind of annoying having to scroll past half a screen of pure, unadulterated garbage to get to the "Colorado Avalance" Link at the bottom of the page.
Yep. I wish they would move the link above Similar threads and the Users who are viewing this thread category. When there's a lot of users are viewing a thread it's very annoying scrolling past all those names.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Maybe it is just me and really only looking at the Avs section... but what is this? I get sponsored stories on the bottom of the page, which is annoying but only at the bottom.

Please get rid of the merge posts idiocy. Please!
Hard to believe that several months later it hasn't changed despite all the complaints all across HF.

Either they don't care or they don't know how.
It is a horrible feature, but my guess is it saves on server costs.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It is a horrible feature, but my guess is it saves on server costs.
As a website developer this seems highly unlikely. The cost between one or multiple posts in terms of server cost would be negligible, the cost of a single post is probably immeasurably small. It may reduce the number of network requests for things like avatar photos etc, but the majority of that will be cached browser side anyway, and served from a content distribution network where the cost of a single request is again kind of negligible. I can't think of a single technical reason for it.

My assumption at this point is that it's to stop threads being filled by one person. Having one person replying multiple times in a row and forcing later content on to subsequent pages. Which, if the case, is a pretty weak rationale. Basically, it keeps threads clean.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
As a website developer this seems highly unlikely. The cost between one or multiple posts in terms of server cost would be negligible, the cost of a single post is probably immeasurably small. It may reduce the number of network requests for things like avatar photos etc, but the majority of that will be cached browser side anyway, and served from a content distribution network where the cost of a single request is again kind of negligible. I can't think of a single technical reason for it.

My assumption at this point is that it's to stop threads being filled by one person. Having one person replying multiple times in a row and forcing later content on to subsequent pages. Which, if the case, is a pretty weak rationale. Basically, it keeps threads clean.
Yes it's to stop double posting (or more). It has always been an unwritten rule on forums to not double post.

In other news, anti ad-block warning is back until an update to the block lists. I recommend always having ad-block on, as ads are a popular way to infect your computer. No snitching please.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Similar threads will be disabled at some point but it came included in with the new search engine. New Search Engine - Search Service Restored

I can't shut it off completely until the search is finished indexing.

despite all the complaints all across HF.
Perhaps there aren't that many?

Originally it was too aggressive but now the only way to trip it is to post sequential posts within 3 minutes. Most of the complaints stopped after it was tweaked to this level. Most of the time if you are posting double that quickly, it's in a GDT and someone else has posted in between so it won't trip.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Originally it was too aggressive but now the only way to trip it is to post sequential posts within 3 minutes. Most of the complaints stopped after it was tweaked to this level. Most of the time if you are posting double that quickly, it's in a GDT and someone else has posted in between so it won't trip.
But what's the point?

Sometimes we want to make 2 completely unrelated posts in the same thread inside 3 minutes. And we can't.

Also people stop complaining because it's pointless to keep doing it, you already know it's an issue. That doesn't mean that 3 minutes is fine by any stretch of the imagination.

Edit: If we want to add stuff to the same post, we can always use the edit function. Like I just did.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
you already know it's an issue.

Some posters hate live threads too, they are now enabled by default they used to be opt in. Just because someone complains about something doensn't mean it's an issue. Still get weekly complaints about it. Every feature someone likes someone also hates. Can't overreact and course correct because a few loud users are loud.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some posters hate live threads too, they are now enabled by default they used to be opt in. Just because someone complains about something doensn't mean it's an issue. Still get weekly complaints about it. Every feature someone likes someone also hates. Can't overreact and course correct because a few loud users are loud.
But what purpose does it serve to force the 2nd post inside the 1st post? Surely there's a reason why it's there?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Any way to get past this "we value your privacy" message that keeps popping up almost every time I open a link here?
No matter what I would like to accept or reject, this message will not go away from the screen. If I agree, it keeps highlighting "partners" on top left:
Screenshot_20230920_235746_Chrome.jpg

Then no matter if I'd I accept all or reject all, when I try press save&exit it keeps highlighting "reject all":
Screenshot_20230920_235836_Chrome.jpg

Going to this site is almost an impossibility at the moment due to this. I need to refresh every page for 3-4 times to get rid of the message, and it comes back almost always when I go to another page.

I have tried to scroll through every single legitimate interest, and partner.
Tried to accept all or object/reject all.
Nothing works.
Is there any solution for this?
This issue only happens here on HF.
On all other websites I can reject/accept without any sort of issues.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Any way to get past this "we value your privacy" message that keeps popping up almost every time I open a link here?
No matter what I would like to accept or reject, this message will not go away from the screen. If I agree, it keeps highlighting "partners" on top left:
View attachment 746268

Then no matter if I'd I accept all or reject all, when I try press save&exit it keeps highlighting "reject all":
View attachment 746267

Going to this site is almost an impossibility at the moment due to this. I need to refresh every page for 3-4 times to get rid of the message, and it comes back almost always when I go to another page.

I have tried to scroll through every single legitimate interest, and partner.
Tried to accept all or object/reject all.
Nothing works.
Is there any solution for this?
This issue only happens here on HF.
On all other websites I can reject/accept without any sort of issues.
This is the same issue I've brought up several times over the past few months. It goes away sometimes, it's not happening for me right now, but eventually it returns exactly like this.

@Nzap a workaround on mobile seems to be scrolling the page early when it loads. For me it's only a mobile issue, which I'm sure is adblock related.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
This is the same issue I've brought up several times over the past few months. It goes away sometimes, it's not happening for me right now, but eventually it returns exactly like this.

@Nzap a workaround on mobile seems to be scrolling the page early when it loads. For me it's only a mobile issue, which I'm sure is adblock related.
I don't use any adblock, at least voluntary. And considering the amount of ads on the page if I have one it's not working :laugh:.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't use any adblock, at least voluntary. And considering the amount of ads on the page if I have one it's not working :laugh:.
Yeah, what I meant to say is, it doesn't seem to repeat on desktop where I have an adblock, but on mobile I don't and this issue persists.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Yeah, what I meant to say is, it doesn't seem to repeat on desktop where I have an adblock, but on mobile I don't and this issue persists.
Ah, okay clear thanks.
So even with the issue persisting for a long time, there is no solution yet by anyone?
Really odd considering it is only HF with this issue. Not anything else.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ah, okay clear thanks.
So even with the issue persisting for a long time, there is no solution yet by anyone?
Really odd considering it is only HF with this issue. Not anything else.
Yeah. EliteProspects has the exact same thing but theirs works. The same thing happens for me, where when you click on Accept, the window keeps selecting the "Partners" link.

@Bear of Bad News and @Frenchy know about this, but perhaps it's difficult to recreate?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
1. Now i was able to press "agree" and it disappeared,
but
2. Now instead I get a "Bad Request " message every time I open HF:
Screenshot_20231002_071749_Chrome.jpg

So I have to go to incognito or use another browser to be here.

Something is seriously wrong with this website.
Or if someone has a good idea how to fix this I will partially retract the statement above :laugh:

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
1. Now i was able to press "agree" and it disappeared,
but
2. Now instead I get a "Bad Request " message every time I open HF:View attachment 748146

So I have to go to incognito or use another browser to be here.

Something is seriously wrong with this website.
Or if someone has a good idea how to fix this I will partially retract the statement above :laugh:
I cleared HF's cookies and signed in again. They don't want us here. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad