HF All-Time Wrestling Draft X Discussion Thread

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Yes please send cards to me.

Sorry for my lack of activity lately. As I mentioned I changed jobs and now work overnight.

Having the cards in by Monday the 14th would be ideal but I can't help but assume I'll be waiting on a few either way. So please get them to me by Monday if you can. I'll treat Friday the 19th as the end of a grace period and will start hassling at people around then to get them in.

The sooner they're in, the better.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Who are the best unpicked wrestlers? Looking at my list of potential picks, I didn't draft D'Lo Brown, Santino, Kalisto, Dakota Kai, and the Viking Raiders.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Gino Hernandez is one of the bigger names left on the board. I wanted him last year but missed out. He didn't fit my card this year.

I'll have mine submitted tonight come hell or high water.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Who are the best unpicked wrestlers? Looking at my list of potential picks, I didn't draft D'Lo Brown, Santino, Kalisto, Dakota Kai, and the Viking Raiders.
Gino Hernandez is one of the bigger names left on the board. I wanted him last year but missed out. He didn't fit my card this year.

I'll have mine submitted tonight come hell or high water.
There's actually a whole lot left sadly untouched.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Joking that you were claiming yourself to be the long time GM we admire
I've named the main promotion in question after the finest GM this thing has ever seen.

Ii0Hxkr.png

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
So free agency just goes on and on whenever anyone needs it now?
I didn't disqualify any picks because I neglected to officially say it was closed and made my own picks quite late. I do think it's cheap to take more after you've begun working on your card, and after the due date for cards.
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Again, the picks stand. But my brow is furrowed.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So free agency just goes on and on whenever anyone needs it now?
I didn't disqualify any picks because I neglected to officially say it was closed and made my own picks quite late. I do think it's cheap to take more after you've begun working on your card, and after the due date for cards.
I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Again, the picks stand. But my brow is furrowed.

I don't like the picks continuing after it's clearly closed.

I'll be honest. I thought you officially closed it Monday morning. I didn't intend to pick any more. Then a free agency pick came in after your post so when I came up with a bit more detail for my card at the last minute (as in yesterday), I felt it was still open season as those picks Monday afternoon picks weren't disqualified.

Personally the hard deadline for cards to be submitted should coincide with the end of free agency IMO.

Most of what your doing at that point is window dressing anyways, announcers, refs, hosts, managers, and whatnot. If a GM comes up with a neat idea or two while they are writing up their cards, I think that is fine and they should be able to grab whoever if they are available. I find some of my best ideas come when I'm trying to tie the storylines together during the final drafts of the card. Everyone's creative process is a bit different and a lot of the thought ( maybe too much) can go into these cards during the final stages in the week after the Free-for-all. At least that is my experience since I began participating. Just my two cents....

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I personally don't see any point in having free agency end before the card submission deadline. It's not delaying anything.

Plus any wrestlers picked now aren't going to help a card, it's more for the GM's own fun.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll be honest. I thought you officially closed it Monday morning. I didn't intend to pick any more. Then a free agency pick came in after your post so when I came up with a bit more detail for my card at the last minute (as in yesterday), I felt it was still open season as those picks Monday afternoon picks weren't disqualified.

Personally the hard deadline for cards to be submitted should coincide with the end of free agency IMO.

Most of what your doing at that point is window dressing anyways, announcers, refs, hosts, managers, and whatnot. If a GM comes up with a neat idea or two while they are writing up their cards, I think that is fine and they should be able to grab whoever if they are available. I find some of my best ideas come when I'm trying to tie the storylines together during the final drafts of the card. Everyone's creative process is a bit different and a lot of the thought ( maybe too much) can go into these cards during the final stages in the week after the Free-for-all. At least that is my experience since I began participating. Just my two cents....
Yeah I understand the why, and obviously CHGoalie27 has done this before in previous years being the resident Florida man that he is. It seems pretty obvious that the picks were done based on two posts, yet people continued days later. It doesn't change anything significant in he grand scheme of things by any stretch, just don't like it.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I understand the why, and obviously CHGoalie27 has done this before in previous years being the resident Florida man that he is. It seems pretty obvious that the picks were done based on two posts, yet people continued days later. It doesn't change anything significant in he grand scheme of things by any stretch, just don't like it.

Just need to firm up the rules next year to avoid confusion.

Draft - 26 Rounds standard (reevaluate if high participation rate)

Free Agency - 2 picks per day standard. 10 Days (20 picks per GM).

Open the free-for-all day at 12 PM Eastern on Free Agency Day 11.

Set a hard deadline of 12 PM Eastern 14 days later from the opening of the free-for-all, for the submission of cards. Free-for-all is open until this hard submission deadline. During the 14 days, cards can be submitted and resubmitted at the GMs leisure. No commenting on unpicked wrestlers during this time.

Once the hard deadline has passed, a GM can still submit a card. But no more picks can be made and tardy GM is only allowed one submission.

Lay it all out beforehand. No more confusion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So, are we able to keep picking if we need to? I kinda took my head out of it but I may be open to drafting a few more people.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
So, are we able to keep picking if we need to? I kinda took my head out of it but I may be open to drafting a few more people.
Well, the cat's out of the bag now and I can't pick and choose.

Free agency remains open.

I don't think continuing free agency stalls anything but I do think it violates the spirit of the exercise. Once cards are being worked on and a deadline is set, you should be stuck to work with what you've chosen. I don't think it's an egregious violation, but I do view it as "soft" or "cheap", and something that's never needed an official rule before.

But have at it boys, if you need it.

Reactions: Burkiemaniq and GKJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well, the cat's out of the bag now and I can't pick and choose.

Free agency remains open.

I don't think continuing free agency stalls anything but I do think it violates the spirit of the exercise. Once cards are being worked on and a deadline is set, you should be stuck to work with what you've chosen. I don't think it's an egregious violation, but I do view it as "soft" or "cheap", and something that's never needed an official rule before.

But have at it boys, if you need it.

To a certain degree, I would agree with this. It's a competition, a game. And the "draft" part is the crux of the competition IMO. Not so much free agency.

Maybe the better approach is to lay out the number of free agency days beforehand and get rid of the free-for-all. Set it at 10 days before the draft starts. GMs now know they are limited to 26 picks + 20 free agents max (2 per day) so they know what they are working with. Harder for guys like me who end up writing short narratives rather than laying out cards, but at least the GM knows what they are working with.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Let's not complicate it. The process is fine, people just shouldn't pick wrestlers after the free for all day. It was pretty clear all along, but I guess it requires formalization that those picks won't count or something. We're not laying out Hammurabi's code here.

Reactions: Burkiemaniq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad