Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
To CAR
Tomas Hertl

To SJ
CAR 2024 1st
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Both players are signed through 2030.

Hurricanes get a legit 2C and get out of a questionable contract.

Sharks move Hertl to a contender and take a chance on Kotkaniemi to avoid retaining salary.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Hertl contract is very unlike Carolina. Faulk, Hamilton and Trocheck all didn’t get that big late 20s/early 30s deal. Skjei and Pesce haven’t yet and probably won’t either.

The results of that strategy have been better than expected, relative to what the typical approach a contender takes in a similar situation implies. They traded a similar asset to Bokk, the Faulk centerpiece, for ~4.25 years of a 2nd contract Skjei. Great scouting. Hamilton was replaced by DeAngelo and then Burns, at a net asset gain. Looks good so far. Trocheck was replaced by Kotkaniemi. Mixed results. Last season (compared to Trocheck in Carolina, not New York) was okay. Not so much this season.

Kotkaniemi is just 23. He can bounce back to live up to his contract. If not, the Canes do have another 2 seasons in the U26 buyout window. Long, but sub $1 mil per.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't think Hertl's contract would fit their penurious ways, and there's no way the Sharks could retain until another retention slot was freed up.

Edit: very odd Hfboards censor!

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
To CAR
Tomas Hertl

To SJ
CAR 2024 1st
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Sharks move Hertl to a contender and take a chance on Kotkaniemi to avoid retaining salary.
Can I offer you Skinner for salary (much shorter term) a first and a prospect from the Sabres? Will throw in Krebs or Joker too

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I don't think Hertl's contract would fit their penurious ways, and there's no way the Sharks could retain until another retention slot was freed up.

Edit: very odd Hfboards censor!
I know the actual meaning of what you originally posted there, but think about how most people would use it. That’s the reason for the censoring.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Can I offer you Skinner for salary (much shorter term) a first and a prospect from the Sabres? Will throw in Krebs or Joker too
If Skinner would waive, I think there would be a good fit here. Other than a top-4 defensive RHD, Hertl fits the Sabres’ next most important need: big, physical, defensively responsible 2C with a history of strong playoff performances. Plus, this way I could still root for Hertl because Buffalo is my favorite EC team.

For the prospect, whichever is your least favorite of Kulich, Ostlund, and Savoie would work for me.

Reactions: Gecklund

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
If Skinner would waive, I think there would be a good fit here. Other than a top-4 defensive RHD, Hertl fits the Sabres’ next most important need: big, physical, defensively responsible 2C with a history of strong playoff performances. Plus, this way I could still root for Hertl because Buffalo is my favorite EC team.

For the prospect, whichever is your least favorite of Kulich, Ostlund, and Savoie would work for me.
Deal! You get Kulich from me.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
To CAR
Tomas Hertl

To SJ
CAR 2024 1st
Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Not happening. It’s well known from Hertl’s agent he’s not waiving the leave San Jose unless it’s Vancouver

• Haha
Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad