Goalie -- shoots L
Born Sep 28 2000 -- Lohja, Finland
[22 yrs. ago]
Height 6.08 -- Weight 215
Drafted by New York Islanders
- round 7 #214 overall 2020 NHL Entry Draft

2022-23Worcester RailersECHL100056520012.128202860.935

49D991A7-51FB-4ECB-831D-2329D5CDDBA2.jpeg

With how well Varlamov is playing this year it is looking less and less likely that he will re-sign. Just can’t imagine he would leave that much money on the table to remain a backup. Got me thinking about who will our back up be next year. Schneider is good but just won’t ever be a full time NHL goalie again. Skareks save % is awful again this year. That means the Islanders likely go the Free Agent route or a super hot take… Henrik Tikkanen ??

In his first season in North America he is showing very very well. With the Railers in the ECHL so far he is 8-2-0 2.12 GAA .935% . Appleby (Railers other goalie) on the other hand is a .895% in the same amount of games. The sample size is obviously very small, but I would imagine he is already 4th on the depth chart right behind Schneider. Would think he is going to be brought up to Bridgeport sooner rather than later.

Will Tikkanen be backing up Sorokin next year ? Slim chance, but it is worth keeping an eye on him. Interested to see how well he does when he eventually gets his call up to the AHL. For a 7th round pick in 2020 to even see him in the ECHL 2 years later is encouraging… even more so to see him putting up the numbers he is. Very early but the Islanders may have found a diamond in the rough.

Last edited:

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Varly will be 35 on his next contract so signing on as back up for say 2-2.5mil does not seem unrealistic. There isnt too many GMs jumping to have their starter at 35+. So honestly I think he resigns with the Isles

With that said, Tikkanen has nice numbers so far but its the ECHL so lets see some AHL games. Like you said slim chance he's the back up but doesnt hurt to have a prospect.
And whats his story? Drafted in 2020 but never signed a ELC? I guess he just has a minor league contract?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Varly will be 35 on his next contract so signing on as back up for say 2-2.5mil does not seem unrealistic. There isnt too many GMs jumping to have their starter at 35+. So honestly I think he resigns with the Isles

With that said, Tikkanen has nice numbers so far but its the ECHL so lets see some AHL games. Like you said slim chance he's the back up but doesnt hurt to have a prospect.
And whats his story? Drafted in 2020 but never signed a ELC? I guess he just has a minor league contract?
I would like to see him re-sign but with numbers like .929, .911, .922(this year) he is still a capable number 1 or at the very least a 1a/1b like here. I agree islanders would be looking for 2-2.5 per but I can see him getting a 2 year deal at Atleast 4M per. Is he willing to leave the rest to stay here with Ilya on a winning team ? Maybe. There will be a few teams who would love to have him and have the cap space. See what happens.

As far as Tikkanen idk too much about him. I know he put up good numbers in Sweden and now is doing well the ECHL. Normally I’d say he would just not pan out like most of our goalie picks (Sorokin and dipietro our only real exceptions) but he seems to be projecting well so far. Not going to get ahead of myself as we all thought Soderstrom would be Sorokins backup by now and even he has not worked out. Goalies are a crap shoot. Hopefully he continues to play well because we have no real prospects in net. Tristan Lennox (3rd rd 2021) is the closest thing to one and he is way too soon to tell

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Varly’s current starting options in summer 2023 are LAK and CAR. Maybe BUF and SJ. Fleury got $7M/2yrs at 38. Lou probably goes 3yrs to lower cap hit to keep the tandem going.

CAR is his best option for money, playing time, and competition. Isles can get Freddy for $2.5-3.5.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If Varly can get $4-5m somewhere, good for him, and he should take it. But if its a difference between $2m here and less than $3m somewhere else, my guess is he stays. He's playing great this year but he's also probably found the right amount of playing time. Push a 35 year old Varly over 40 games a year, could be a recipe for injury.

They've been at a roughly 2/1 ratio as far as games played. He'll likely end up with 30 starts this year. That's significant action. And from what I've heard anecdotally (A guy I know has taken both goalies fishing recently), he seems to like it here. What does that mean? Probably nothing, but if the numbers/playing time are close, my guess is he stays.

I don't know much about Tikkanen but hopefully he moves up to BP next year and continues his upward trajectory. We've been blessed with goalie health in recent times and haven't had to dip below our #2. That changes real quick in this league.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Being we didn't offer him a contract to keep his rights and is not a part of our organization I can't imagine they have much interest. However I'm sure the team is monitoring him pretty closely in the ECHL (which is a tough league for goalies based on the poor team structure and chaotic play).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Be nice for this kid to get AHL time at some point this season to get higher competition in.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Be nice for this kid to get AHL time at some point this season to get higher competition in.
Not that I think it will happen, but they should just trade Skarek and roll with Schneider + Appleby/Tikkanen in Bridgeport.

Skarek hasn't posted a season with a save percentage above .900 since coming to North America.

Try and get a 'Verhaeghe' for some team desperately looking for a minor league goaltender.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale30

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Being we didn't offer him a contract to keep his rights and is not a part of our organization I can't imagine they have much interest. However I'm sure the team is monitoring him pretty closely in the ECHL (which is a tough league for goalies based on the poor team structure and chaotic play).
If they didn't have interest, why did they sign him to an AHL contract? Why would they bother bringing a kid over from Europe if they weren't interested in him?

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If they didn't have interest, why did they sign him to an AHL contract? Why would they bother bringing a kid over from Europe if they weren't interested in him?
Someone asked why anyone thought it was a good idea to hire Jeff Saturday as a head coach or Garth Snow as a GM on the football thread a few days ago

I told a little story there. I think maybe that applies here and may answer many other of life's puzzling questions.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I think you answered your own question, they brought him over to get a better look at him, doesn't mean much of anything. The Isles also drafted guys and immediately signed them to AHL contracts and nothing happened. It's just depth.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I think you answered your own question, they brought him over to get a better look at him, doesn't mean much of anything. The Isles also drafted guys and immediately signed them to AHL contracts and nothing happened. It's just depth.
Why would you want a better look at someone you had no interest in? There are a lot of options out there for an AHL backup and even more that are AHL/ECHL tweener guys. You don't fly guys in from Europe without having an interest in them.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Why would you want a better look at someone you had no interest in? There are a lot of options out there for an AHL backup and even more that are AHL/ECHL tweener guys. You don't fly guys in from Europe without having an interest in them.
It's kinda like spending money on women you aren't gonna marry. Just want a better look. Maybe you'll get lucky and something good will happen. At worst you backfill the list of ports in the storm you can call when you're desperate

Reactions: Lights911

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He reminds me of a Ryan Miller. Very lanky and light compared to how tall he is.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Islanders are definitely keeping an eye on him. If he keeps putting up numbers like this, especially with how weak our goalie prospects are… I would imagine he will be offered a contract in the very near future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad