Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
No offense taken. First post is what I would do if I was Tallon and the second post is what reality is, Tippett or Mascherin do have a shot at camp to take that spot. I'd prefer Malgin to take the spot so Tippett and Mascherin can develop another year.

All rookie line is a tad risky. I just don't see Borgstrom being a bottom 6 guy. He screams top 6. I get that he plays Center but playing with Barkov will elevate his play more than two rookies no?
My two posts just state that we have options now with better drafting. We don't have solely rely on UFA now.

The two lines you have there I assume are 2nd and 3rd line? So you'd leave Bjugstad on the 1st line with Barkov and Dadonov?

Yes, Borgstrom screaming TOP 6 and his develop would be better playing with Barkov. But to take away pressure and risk, give them a own Line for the beginning lower Minutes to get into the pro level.
When you have an Top or Elite prospect Line play 3rd Line vs other 3rd Lines give the Line overall an advantage and can start or create an own play. Sure there is a risk that they dont make it, but for that you can place Borgstrom on the Top Line and give a Veteran Center the Spot.

The Question is what want Borgstrom, i mean he decided for himself to get one more Year into the NCAA, that was no most. There was also other option.
And yes the roster next Year get some nice addings. Beside Borgstrom.

And i plan complete without Bjugstad, as i mention 4.1 Million, but let us keep this in the future Line combo thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So with 2 games to go in Borgstrom's collegiate career, he sits 2 points back (18g, 41pts in 31GP) of last year's total in 6 fewer games. (22g, 43pts in 37GP).

6'3, has grown from 175lbs to 195lbs, won rookie of the year, multiple player of the week/month/yearly awards and was a Hobey Baker award nominee.

Apparently Barkov and Borgstrom have never met before but would it be a good idea for them to train together this off season? I was reading an article saying Barkovs dad used to coach Henrik.

I honestly can't wait for "The Artist" to show up next year. Where does everyone see him in the lineup come 2018-19?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
So with 2 games to go in Borgstrom's collegiate career, he sits 2 points back (18g, 41pts in 31GP) of last year's total in 6 fewer games. (22g, 43pts in 37GP).

6'3, has grown from 175lbs to 195lbs, won rookie of the year, multiple player of the week/month/yearly awards and was a Hobey Baker award nominee.

Apparently Barkov and Borgstrom have never met before but would it be a good idea for them to train together this off season? I was reading an article saying Barkovs dad used to coach Henrik.

I honestly can't wait for "The Artist" to show up next year. Where does everyone see him in the lineup come 2018-19?

He’s an exciting player to watch on offense but people that like a two way game are going to be a bit disappointed. He floats quite a bit.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida

Is the assumption that he goes right into the nhl?

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

There is just a special level of talent there. 1st glance it looks like he passes up a goal but watch it closely. Before he gets the pass Borg is checking behind him for D coverage, so when he gets the pass he has the mental timer running and decides to pass it to the open guy because he doesn’t have enough time to reposition the blade of his trick to shoot before the D catches him. It’s a very small play but he has a Barkov like attention to detail in his play, dude is going to be very special.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Depends what happens in the off-season, if they get someone like Patches (since there was some interest already) you can just give him the 3rd line winger or center spot. Just so much talent there that it's hard to think he would need to spend a year in the ahl. Even if they put him in a top 6 role right away, I just can't see it not working. So many qualities of his game like speed, stick handling, fast decisions etc. should easily translate to the pros.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He’s an exciting player to watch on offense but people that like a two way game are going to be a bit disappointed. He floats quite a bit.

Why I think he should be insulated by Barkov and Dadonov. Putting him on the 3rd line as a rookie Center may be too much responsibility too soon.
Your thoughts?

Is the assumption that he goes right into the nhl?

Id like to think so. Shift Bjugstad back down into the 3rd (Mamin - McCann - Bjugstad). He'll be 21 a couple months before the season starts, truly feel this kid has some legit talent/skill to be a top 6 player next year. Hopefully he can get stronger and work the cardio/skating in the off-season with Barkov?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I want Mamin, Borg, Tippett and Hawk/Masch to all get legit shots at the team next year.

Clear out Vrbata, McGinn, Haley can start sitting, and give the young kids a shot to have actual roles on the team, not toil in the bottom 6/crappy ahl system

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Depends what happens in the off-season, if they get someone like Patches (since there was some interest already) you can just give him the 3rd line winger or center spot. Just so much talent there that it's hard to think he would need to spend a year in the ahl. Even if they put him in a top 6 role right away, I just can't see it not working. So many qualities of his game like speed, stick handling, fast decisions etc. should easily translate to the pros.

Possibly a main reason why we didn't get Patches. I think it blocks Borgstrom. Tallon and Boughner have been praising McCann lately and he has been better as of late. If he finishes the season strong then I see no reason to move him unless we bring in a UFA 3C.

Call me crazy but I think the kid can be a 45-50pt rookie on the top line. He's more skilled than Malgin, who would probably be on pace for 40-45 pts if he was with Trocheck and Huberdeau sooner. Albeit Malgin had a 47 game audition last year.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Possibly a main reason why we didn't get Patches. I think it blocks Borgstrom. Tallon and Boughner have been praising McCann lately and he has been better as of late. If he finishes the season strong then I see no reason to move him unless we bring in a UFA 3C.

Call me crazy but I think the kid can be a 45-50pt rookie on the top line. He's more skilled than Malgin, who would probably be on pace for 40-45 pts if he was with Trocheck and Huberdeau sooner. Albeit Malgin had a 47 game audition last year.

I don't think it blocks Patches, even if Borg isn't ready for a top 6 role right away. Bring in Patches and move Malgin to the third line. We need a big upgrade there and he would certainly do that. Or like you said, put Bjugs on the third line.

If Borg plays in the top six, I can see him getting 50 points, absolutely. The only concern is his two-way game- if he floats (like some are saying he does) he's not going to get a big role.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i have a hard time believing borgstrom was a sticking point in the patch talks. if it was we wouldnt have been in it till the end. and montreal should know full well that it was never going to involve him. i still see him centering line 3, unless hes actually played wing im not crazy about shifting players out of their natural position. plus itd be nice to run three lines for once.but if he can handle the wing then playing with barkov and huberdeau doesnt get any better.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think it blocks Patches, even if Borg isn't ready for a top 6 role right away. Bring in Patches and move Malgin to the third line. We need a big upgrade there and he would certainly do that. Or like you said, put Bjugs on the third line.

If Borg plays in the top six, I can see him getting 50 points, absolutely. The only concern is his two-way game- if he floats (like some are saying he does) he's not going to get a big role.

Maybe not short term but if we re-signed Pacioretty it would. Ya Malgin and Bjugstad can work up and down the lineup so that helps. I like the chemistry Malgin and Trocheck are creating, rare for Vinny to find it.

Another reason I'd like Borgstrom to train with Barkov, to help pick his brain defensively. I'm sure they both play video games, work out/on their game and want to get familiar with each other.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Maybe not short term but if we re-signed Pacioretty it would. Ya Malgin and Bjugstad can work up and down the lineup so that helps. I like the chemistry Malgin and Trocheck are creating, rare for Vinny to find it.

Another reason I'd like Borgstrom to train with Barkov, to help pick his brain defensively. I'm sure they both play video games, work out/on their game and want to get familiar with each other.

I'm thinking Patched would take a team friendly contract since he lives in Florida anyways :naughty:

I think DT would want to make sure he can extend him at a reasonable price before going after him anyway. Having him for a year doesn't make any sense. If he signs a decent contract I think the added depth would be just beneficial.

:cheers:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Why I think he should be insulated by Barkov and Dadonov. Putting him on the 3rd line as a rookie Center may be too much responsibility too soon.
Your thoughts?

Id like to think so. Shift Bjugstad back down into the 3rd (Mamin - McCann - Bjugstad). He'll be 21 a couple months before the season starts, truly feel this kid has some legit talent/skill to be a top 6 player next year. Hopefully he can get stronger and work the cardio/skating in the off-season with Barkov?

After going to a few Pioneers games to check him out I think he’d be great beside a player of Barkov’s skill. Borgstrom is so smooth in open ice. The guy can make no look passes with touch. He can shoot and has sick dekes. I just wouldn’t expect much from him along the boards or defensively. He has no grind in his game... yet.

He reminds me a bit of Kristian Huselius. Not a bad thing imo.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
For those of you who've seen him play, who does he remind you of?

From just a few articles, his head coach at Denver, said comparisons of Jagr because of his length and puck handling and Datsyuk because of his creativity, who is also his fave player

I haven't seen him live but if he can find a healthy mix of those two, ding ding ding

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

I’ve only seen two games of his when they were on like ESPN/NBCSN.

If Joe Thornton and Zach Parise had a baby, I think it’d be Borgstrom.

But maybe someone who’s seen him more can give a better comparison.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I could care less if he can’t ply any defense. Barky and Daddy can pick up the slack for him and Huberdeau is no slouch either.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

I have seen him play 3 times over the Tv including once a few weeks ago. He is extremely skilled. Every time he touches the puck you can see his high skill level through his stick handling. He is very fun to watch I would describe him as electric every time he touches the puck. If I had to describe a comparable I would say he carries the puck up ice like Malkin and plays a lot like Huberdeau but shoots more often.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I have seen him play 3 times over the Tv including once a few weeks ago. He is extremely skilled. Every time he touches the puck you can see his high skill level through his stick handling. He is very fun to watch I would describe him as electric every time he touches the puck. If I had to describe a comparable I would say he carries the puck up ice like Malkin and plays a lot like Huberdeau but shoots more often.

How is he defensively?

That's really the only question mark for me at this point.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Borgstrom is not strong defensively but that's because he's a purely offensive player. The exact type we need on our team. His hockey IQ is high enough that he can become strong defensively if he committed to it but it's not really his game.

He reminds me of an Olli Jokinen/Johnny Gaudreau hybrid.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Probably will never become an elite defensive player, but as long as he is average he will be great. Just pair him with better defensive players.

Another thing: You don't have to defend when you have the puck.

He should focus on using his skating, stick skills, length to dispossess opposing players of the puck. Doesn't seem like he has any physical element to his game.

There will be a learning curve for him once he is NHL. He will need good coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad