Prospect Info: Henrik Borgström (2016, #23 overall), Univ. of Denver (NCAA), signed ELC on 3/26/2018

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Borgström is essentially a 6'3 Gaudreau as his coach said a while ago. It's pretty clear that he isn't going to play C in the NHL. He is as you guys have said, a pure offensive player.

He really should work on his two-way game though, but why fix something that isn't broken. He dominates the NCAA offensively and helps to win games, but the NHL is going to be a different story. There's probably no coach in the NHL who would give a rookie so much leeway. Therefore, a stint in the AHL might be in orddr for him to hone those two-way skills even though he will most likely never be nominated for the Selke.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Borgström is essentially a 6'3 Gaudreau as his coach said a while ago. It's pretty clear that he isn't going to play C in the NHL. He is as you guys have said, a pure offensive player.

He really should work on his two-way game though, but why fix something that isn't broken. He dominates the NCAA offensively and helps to win games, but the NHL is going to be a different story. There's probably no coach in the NHL who would give a rookie so much leeway. Therefore, a stint in the AHL might be in orddr for him to hone those two-way skills even though he will most likely never be nominated for the Selke.

I'd love to see this top 6 for the 2019-20 season but hopefully sooner than that.

Borgstrom - Barkov - Dadonov
Huberdeau - Trocheck - Tippett

Hopefully Borgstrom and Tippett only need ONE year in the AHL, we need them to be ready to step in and be solid complimentary players sooner than later.
Eventually we will probably have to split up Huberdeau and Barkov as they're clearly our two best offensive forwards. If they can't handle being apart then we will just have to hope Trocheck and Borgstrom click which is just as exciting to think about. Lots of potential for our top 6 to be impressive but we all wish it was this year and not next.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
What makes people think HB is gonna get AHL time at all? HB will have no problem making this team outta camp as long as our horrible depth chart stays the way it is from now until camp. The only scenario he gets AHL time is if he starts his NHL career off on a cold spell like 3 points in 20 games and literally looks bad. Then, he'll go down there. Tallon is the GM and his high end NCAA prospects make the team outta camp

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the thunderbirds are a dumpster fire, i think id rather him just come to the ahl even if its less ice-time (not that much less, still in the top-9) rather than playing with inferior talent.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
???-Trocheck-Tippett
???-Borgstrom-??? (with one of these spots filled by the '18 draft pick. depending on who it is, could maybe play immediately).

then just fill the last 3rd line spot and the 2nd line spot.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
the thunderbirds are a dumpster fire, i think id rather him just come to the ahl even if its less ice-time (not that much less, still in the top-9) rather than playing with inferior talent.

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
???-Trocheck-Tippett
???-Borgstrom-??? (with one of these spots filled by the '18 draft pick. depending on who it is, could maybe play immediately).

then just fill the last 3rd line spot and the 2nd line spot.
You guys sure seem to underrated one of your best prospects in Heponiemi. Kids gonna be a beauty.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Biggest mistake any of these kids can make, is believing their own hype.

We have some major potential no doubt, but they must keep pushing everyday.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
You guys sure seem to underrated one of your best prospects in Heponiemi. Kids gonna be a beauty.
im not underrating him, im talking about closer to what next years lineup could look like. hepo at his size will probably take just a couple more years.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
What are the odds he signs after his college season ends and we see him in AHL/NHL for a handful of games towards the end of this season? Kind of like what Bjugstad did...

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
What are the odds he signs after his college season ends and we see him in AHL/NHL for a handful of games towards the end of this season? Kind of like what Bjugstad did...

Denver will probably go all the way to the National Championship so he may last longer than the Panthers’ season.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Denver will probably go all the way to the National Championship so he may last longer than the Panthers’ season.
Even if Borg stays for another year, he could potentially push for a World Championship spot this year. Depends how many skill guys (Finnish national team is known to leave more skilled players out, over players that fit a certain role) are healthy or/and willing to go there. Frozen Four ends before the WHC, I think.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I like how accurate his shot is and when he really, gonna be a Center, then he will get his own Line.
On the other Side if you like this Goal, then love the shot but dont expect it to see this often, cause one thing is clear.
He want get that kind of space and time in the NHL. I mean that Goal was 5on5 and he had 3 seconds or more to shot the Puck and the other Team had bad position play.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
I like how accurate his shot is and when he really, gonna be a Center, then he will get his own Line.
On the other Side if you like this Goal, then love the shot but dont expect it to see this often, cause one thing is clear.
He want get that kind of space and time in the NHL. I mean that Goal was 5on5 and he had 3 seconds or more to shot the Puck and the other Team had bad position play.

Thanks for reminding us he is a kid playing in the NCAA... lol

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
We got two Johnny Gaudreau coming up. Were saved (lol)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I like his shooting mentaility, he can pass, but he likes taking the shot, we need more of that.

Dads - Barky - Borg
Huby - Tro - Malgin/UFA/Tippett etc.

Thats not a bad top six, a little light physically but workable with a bottom six that can crash and bang.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
I'd be really disappointed if Borg and Tippett are not on the team next year.

Dadanov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huby - Tro - Borg
Tippett - McCann - Malgin
Mamin - Best FA 4th line Center PLEASE!!! (though probably with MacK one more year) - McGinn

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I say put Borgstrom with Barkov.

Huberdeau - Trocheck - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Bjugstad
McGinn - Mack/UFA/AHLer - Hawryluk/Sceviour (possibly re-signed?)

I know most will say Borgstrom isn't ready for top line but Barkov and Dadonov have shown the ability to be very strong defensively, they are the two best options for him. All 3 can be playmakers or shooters.

Huberdeau, Trocheck and Malgin are finding some chemistry so keep that going the rest of this year so it continues into next year.

Huberdeau and Barkov can be reunited on the PP or when we need a big goal to tie or win it.

I'd like Tallon to look at 3C and 4C options. I like McCanns speed but he hasn't been showing the ability to be penciled in as 3C next year. May shift him to wing if he can't get better.

Mack should be demoted from Captain and made 13th forward or traded/bought out.

If Bjugstad can be traded for a 3C then do it and bring in Tippett to replace him. If Nick stays, I don't think Tippett will make the team, he should be in top 6 when he's ready, not bottom 6.
Malgin is earning his spot so I wouldn't like it if Tippett just bumped him.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I'd be really disappointed if Borg and Tippett are not on the team next year.

Dadanov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huby - Tro - Borg
Tippett - McCann - Malgin
Mamin - Best FA 4th line Center PLEASE!!! (though probably with MacK one more year) - McGinn

And id be very disappointed if Bjugstad is still playing on the 1st line on this team. Borg needs to play with Barkov. Barkov is so elite defensively that Borg would be protected in that respect if makes mistakes. Bjugstad needs to be on a 3rd line. He’s just not a top 2 line player though he has the physical ability, his hockey IQ is not there for it. Def would like to find a better 2nd line winger than malgin maybe a UFA. Basically replacing March. Also McCann has some tools but not very impressed with him either. Pretty much invisible in so many many games. Replacing Mac and stop the charade with his as captain also would be big. Tippett has to show he belongs in training camp to take that 3rd line spot.

Dads Barkov Borg
Huby Tro FA
Tippett/FA Bjugstad Malgin
Mamin FA McGinn

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Agree about putting Borg with Sasha. Also agree Jugger on the 3rd line, think he fits there better than on the first 2 lines. I'd be cool if Tippett could grab the 2nd line RW spot.

-ghoste

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agree about putting Borg with Sasha. Also agree Jugger on the 3rd line, think he fits there better than on the first 2 lines. I'd be cool if Tippett could grab the 2nd line RW spot.

-ghoste

Feel like that open spot on the 2nd line will be between Malgin, Tippett and possibly Mascherin.
Still have Hunt as well. Has 12 goals in 30 games so far, only had 13 last year in 70 games.

LW is not an issue for us. Tippett has barely any competition on that RW prospect depth chart. He could definitely win that 2nd line spot and Huberdeau and Trocheck are experienced enough to take on a rookie.
Trocheck needs to stop those offensive zone turnovers/bad blind passes with having Huberdeau on his wing. Huberdeau becomes a passing machine again with Tippett and Trocheck who would bring the goals. Glad we have some better top 6 options now with better drafting.

RW, RD and G need more drafting. Hopefully they address that this year.

Reactions: Ghoste

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I say put Borgstrom with Barkov.

Huberdeau - Trocheck - Malgin
Mamin - McCann - Bjugstad
McGinn - Mack/UFA/AHLer - Hawryluk/Sceviour (possibly re-signed?)

If Bjugstad can be traded for a 3C then do it and bring in Tippett to replace him. If Nick stays, I don't think Tippett will make the team, he should be in top 6 when he's ready, not bottom 6.
Malgin is earning his spot so I wouldn't like it if Tippett just bumped him.

Feel like that open spot on the 2nd line will be between Malgin, Tippett and possibly Mascherin.
Still have Hunt as well. Has 12 goals in 30 games so far, only had 13 last year in 70 games.

LW is not an issue for us. Tippett has barely any competition on that RW prospect depth chart. He could definitely win that 2nd line spot and Huberdeau and Trocheck are experienced enough to take on a rookie.

Nothing offending and dont get me wrong, but your own post stand in contradiction. You say in a former post, new Trocheck line shouldn´t splitt up, in your next post you say Tippet maybe has his chance.
I don´t think so, Malgin stepped up during the Season and getting better and better. When you look how the Line work also off the Puck is real good chemsitry, no one take room of the other away.

If Borgstrom really is only a Center and no Winger then i can see him getting 3rd Line Center, it would be also nice to see a complete rookie Line.
Im not a Fan of it but people say he is good.

Huberdeau/trocheck/Malgin
Tippet/Borgstrom/Mascherin

A complete Rookie Line is nothing new, there a few franchises and teams who run complete rookie Lines. I mean 3rd Line would have 2 fast wingers and a solid strong Center. Cause also in Denver he play only Center so far i know and for his trancistion it would be better he stay in his position.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nothing offending and dont get me wrong, but your own post stand in contradiction. You say in a former post, new Trocheck line shouldn´t splitt up, in your next post you say Tippet maybe has his chance.
I don´t think so, Malgin stepped up during the Season and getting better and better. When you look how the Line work also off the Puck is real good chemsitry, no one take room of the other away.

If Borgstrom really is only a Center and no Winger then i can see him getting 3rd Line Center, it would be also nice to see a complete rookie Line.
Im not a Fan of it but people say he is good.

Huberdeau/trocheck/Malgin
Tippet/Borgstrom/Mascherin

A complete Rookie Line is nothing new, there a few franchises and teams who run complete rookie Lines. I mean 3rd Line would have 2 fast wingers and a solid strong Center. Cause also in Denver he play only Center so far i know and for his trancistion it would be better he stay in his position.

No offense taken. First post is what I would do if I was Tallon and the second post is what reality is, Tippett or Mascherin do have a shot at camp to take that spot. I'd prefer Malgin to take the spot so Tippett and Mascherin can develop another year.

All rookie line is a tad risky. I just don't see Borgstrom being a bottom 6 guy. He screams top 6. I get that he plays Center but playing with Barkov will elevate his play more than two rookies no?
My two posts just state that we have options now with better drafting. We don't have solely rely on UFA now.

The two lines you have there I assume are 2nd and 3rd line? So you'd leave Bjugstad on the 1st line with Barkov and Dadonov?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad