Help with keepers

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
Most of these are no-brainers, but I always like to get a second opinon from the board.

Keep 1 at each position. Categories are G A +/- PIM S PPP GWG

C Trocheck Barzal Getzlaf
RW Ehlers Simmonds Perron Bjugsted
LW Ovechkin Ehlers Perron
D Doughty Trouba Weber
G Quick Jones

Is this the way it's gonna go? Anyone prefer Barzal?

Last edited:

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I'd keep Barzal over Trocheck.

Why are you considering Trocheck over Barzal?

In my league, Trocheck is better in G, PIM and S whereas A is the only cat where Barzal is better this year. We count G A +/- PIM S PPP GWG. To date, Trocheck is #27 and Barzal is #58 overall.

Mr. Met

Nov 8, 2017
In my league, Trocheck is better in G, PIM and S whereas A is the only cat where Barzal is better this year. We count G A +/- PIM S PPP GWG. To date, Trocheck is #27 and Barzal is #58 overall.
First of all, PIM is a stupid stat to have in a fantasy hockey league, as is GWG.

I like to keep younger, exciting players in keeper leagues. It makes it more fun. Right now Barzal is >ppg in his rookie season which is something that has only been done by Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin (When looking at rookies that played the vast majority of their rookie year).

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
I will affirm that other than Trocheck/Barzal, I agree with all your other decisions without question.

Trocheck is so underrated it's wild. I think it's really close here. Barzal will be 'the guy' on the Island assuming Tavares hits the road, and while the offense will run through him, it also means he will be targeted by the top pairing/shutdown line. I do think Barzal has a higher upside, and you'd probably have a better chance of redrafting Trocheck next year than Barzal. Very tough call for me but I would go with Barzal.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I will affirm that other than Trocheck/Barzal, I agree with all your other decisions without question.

Trocheck is so underrated it's wild. I think it's really close here. Barzal will be 'the guy' on the Island assuming Tavares hits the road, and while the offense will run through him, it also means he will be targeted by the top pairing/shutdown line. I do think Barzal has a higher upside, and you'd probably have a better chance of redrafting Trocheck next year than Barzal. Very tough call for me but I would go with Barzal.

Good insight. I have had Getzlaf as my C for 6 years, so I'm looking at finding a permanent replacement. I won't have to make a final decision until September, so I will know where JT signs. That said, other teams have been burned by making plays for young players who totally sucked, so I don't want to look too far ahead.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I would echo Bob's comments. All great points.

I have the exact same dilemma. Last two spots between Trochek and Barzal. However my categories are a bit different. So your point about Trochek's value as per your league's specific cats definitely is the point you gotta reconcile in your decision making.

Also was that a career year for Vince? Will Barzal have the dreaded sophomore slump and that's just something you will have to live with?

Is Trocheck just going to keep improving stats wise now that Panthers appear to be improving?
Are the Isles gonna be a dumpster fire next season with or without Tavares?

All questions I mulling over as I make the same decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: RonTextall

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I honestly think Tavares bolts on July 1st. Barzal's power play stats will obviously go down without Tavares, and there will probably be more attention to him by other teams defensively.

Trocheck is better with your stat categories, and it isn't like he's old. I'd go Trocheck, but it's tough to throw Barzal back.

Can you pair up Barzal + Ehlers for a RW upgrade?

Reactions: RonTextall

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I will definitely throw some names out there in the offseason. Barzal/Getzlaf/Ehlers/Jones are upgrades for some teams.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
I honestly think Tavares bolts on July 1st. Barzal's power play stats will obviously go down without Tavares, and there will probably be more attention to him by other teams defensively.

Trocheck is better with your stat categories, and it isn't like he's old. I'd go Trocheck, but it's tough to throw Barzal back.

Can you pair up Barzal + Ehlers for a RW upgrade?

I will definitely throw some names out there in the offseason. Barzal/Getzlaf/Ehlers/Jones are upgrades for some teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad