Help a UK fan get into the CHL

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hi. I live in the UK but I want to get more into the Canadian Junior Hockey side of things so that I can learn about prospects before the draft rather than rely on others reports I'd like to actually make my own assumptions and predictions. Living in the UK this is obviously hard as we get next to no coverage of the NHL let alone the CHL. However with the internet anything is possible. I was wondering if it's possible normally to see games online for free or watch highlights on youtube (Which has a downside of not showing it all). I'm also wondering if it's worth following a team or just following the players that the Penguins have in their system.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Could be challenging as I rarely see streams for junior games (perhaps I'm not looking in the right places) and the official paid service is really expensive.

Here in the OHL a lot of the teams are broadcast by the local Rogers community channel. Their website is improving so you can get highlights from here:

http://www.rogerstv.com/page.aspx?lid=12&rid=4&sid=5178

You can get content from local newspapers and radio stations. Here in Ottawa for example, there is a weekly show on junior hockey. You can get podcasts of the show from:

http://autopod.ca/chum/35/podcasts/

Yahoo has a pretty good Blog on junior hockey that you might already be familiar with:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/

There are a lot of teams, so it will be pretty challenging to follow the entire gamut of junior hockey unless you're content with just scratching the surface. You could pick one of the WHL, OHL or QMJHL and follow the one league in more detail.

Hopefully the official video streaming service will come down in price at some point as that's always the best way to follow a league but it's hard to justify now when it's several times the price of what you pay for some professional leagues.

Kanka

Dec 25, 2011
Shaw TV has been producing a series, WHL Full On and the episodes are free online

http://shaw.ca/WHLFullOn/videos/

Also hoping that Sportsnet's "On the Edge" documentary series on the Saskatoon Blades this year gets posted somewhere online soon.

johnnydrum

Oct 17, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in the UK but I want to get more into the Canadian Junior Hockey side of things so that I can learn about prospects before the draft rather than rely on others reports I'd like to actually make my own assumptions and predictions. Living in the UK this is obviously hard as we get next to no coverage of the NHL let alone the CHL. However with the internet anything is possible. I was wondering if it's possible normally to see games online for free or watch highlights on youtube (Which has a downside of not showing it all). I'm also wondering if it's worth following a team or just following the players that the Penguins have in their system.

Hi. I am from the UK, and started following the CHL to keep tabs on Caps prospects, tuning into the audio feeds...before I knew it my weekend "listening" started in the Q at 10pm, then the OHL at midnight, then finishing listening into the WHL action at 3am!
I did get some games shipped over by very kind fans, and also managed to find a site that has the Memorial Cup games for download
(If you want to see intensity, the "Mem" Cup games are always tremendous!)

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Hi. I am from the UK, and started following the CHL to keep tabs on Caps prospects, tuning into the audio feeds...before I knew it my weekend "listening" started in the Q at 10pm, then the OHL at midnight, then finishing listening into the WHL action at 3am!
I did get some games shipped over by very kind fans, and also managed to find a site that has the Memorial Cup games for download
(If you want to see intensity, the "Mem" Cup games are always tremendous!)

What is the site that you can download the Memorial Cup games? I was looking to watch some previous memorial cup tournaments. You can private message me with the link if you want.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Bump, are there no regularly updated blogs on the WHL/OHL/QMJHL outside of that OHLProspects blog and the Yahoo one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad