helmet question

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
My husband has been using the same helmet for a really long time and is looking into getting a new one. The selection available is a bit overwhelming though... how do you know what makes a really good helmet? He's had a few concussions so he wants to make sure he gets a good quality one.

Thanks...

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
My husband has been using the same helmet for a really long time and is looking into getting a new one. The selection available is a bit overwhelming though... how do you know what makes a really good helmet? He's had a few concussions so he wants to make sure he gets a good quality one.

Thanks...

is this for forward or goal? my goal helmet is a few years old, and I tried on some new ones up at don simmons. WOW is there a huge difference. they now use a different kind of padding, and also the helmets are much lighter. and mine is no dinasaur, it's kevlar and all that crap.

as far as forward helmets go, you get what you pay for. if you go with something that has memory foam or whatever they call it, it's gonna cost you around 100 minimum just for the helmet (do you want a helmet/cage combo? helmet/visor?)

I got a nike bauer 4500 with cage for like 70 or 80 (even though i ditched the cage for a half shield after a week). greatskate.com has a great selection, but discount sites like icewarehouse and hockey giant have great prices. check them out

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I'll also back the NikeBauer 4500. I've used all types of helmets and this one is my favorite so far. Good price, looks good (yes, hockey players do care) and it's what the pros wear. Your husband will thank you!

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
I've got an old school bauer 5000 that I've had for almost five years and playing on average twice a week in those five years I've never had any problems with it. I absolutely love it and would back Bauer or NBH helmets for their comfort, durability and most importantly protection.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
In my opinion anything with EPP foam is crap, go with something with VN foam(like a 692 for example). The EPP claims to be more protective but can crack at which point the helmet's protection is compromised.

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i think we should ask paetsch how his head felt after taking chara's slapshot to the head last weekend, haha

also, i did notice that the players who wear the nike bauers all have the 4500. a lot of nhl guys have that mission helmet though. looks too weird to me, like nostrils on the front

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for all the info! He's a d-man (only one goalie allowed in this family!!!), and would want a cage too. They're separate, right? I know there's a thread here about which cage is best, I'll take a look at that one again too.

I've noticed the Mission helmets on the pros too- only because the logo really jumps out at you. Nostrils... didn't think of that! :biglaugh:

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Most helmets have options to come with cages. I find the RBKs with the width adjustments to feel the best, but they are a LOT of money. The Mission Intake is about $99 and is a great helmet, it's basically a new itech helmet with the Mission logo stamped on. Go and try on helmets anything from mid level up is going to work as the main difference between "mid-level" and "pro-level" helmets is the padding on the inside.

I find that:
CCMs fit narrower
Itechs are shallow
RBKs are kinda wide
Bauers are somewhere inbetween
Jofas are ugly :sarcasm:

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Thanks for all the info! He's a d-man (only one goalie allowed in this family!!!), and would want a cage too. They're separate, right? I know there's a thread here about which cage is best, I'll take a look at that one again too.

I've noticed the Mission helmets on the pros too- only because the logo really jumps out at you. Nostrils... didn't think of that! :biglaugh:

For a cage, you can buy a helmet/cage combo already put together, however the danger in that is the helmet may be the right size, but the cage won't be depending on the length of his face.

I'd get the helmet by itself, then I recommend the CCM FM480 cage. It comes in black, white, and chrome. I had a black, but there's been some discussion on whether or not this color hides the puck, so I'm giving the chrome version a try. Also, if you get the NBH 4500, it may or may not come with button screws in the back to snap the cage straps onto. Your shop should be able to give you these or have them available.

A lot of college teams use this model cage and for good reason. Good protection, good visibility, and of course...looks cool.

ccm_cage_FM480_sm.jpg

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
In my opinion anything with EPP foam is crap, go with something with VN foam(like a 692 for example). The EPP claims to be more protective but can crack at which point the helmet's protection is compromised.

EPP foam will offer better protection particularly against concussions. But it's the same principle than a bicycle helmet and when it's cracked you need to replace the helmet.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
EPP foam will offer better protection particularly against concussions. But it's the same principle than a bicycle helmet and when it's cracked you need to replace the helmet.

My beef with EPP foam is it didn't let the helmet sit snug and low enough on my head. My old CCM HT500 felt like a yamulke, which in turn exposed a lot of my temples from the earhole.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
My beef with EPP foam is it didn't let the helmet sit snug and low enough on my head. My old CCM HT500 felt like a yamulke, which in turn exposed a lot of my temples from the earhole.

Maybe CCM isn't the right fitting brand for you. For me, I like the Bauer 5000. It fits me really well, much better than the HT500.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com

Exactly the reason why I don't like it. The benefits are small(it doesn't decrease the chance of a concussion that much) compared how often you might need to replace the helmet.

Every hit that can crack the EPP won't result in a concussion. Not to mention that it's not comfortable.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Exactly the reason why I don't like it. The benefits are small(it doesn't decrease the chance of a concussion that much) compared how often you might need to replace the helmet.

Well I've had my Bauer 5000 for my 3rd winter now and there are no cracks. But now you agree that EPP offers better protection.

Every hit that can crack the EPP won't result in a concussion.

Probably right I agree, but I don't really want to find out ;)

Not to mention that it's not comfortable.

Personally I find my Bauer 5000 more comfortable than any VN foam helmet I've had on.
It's all personal preference.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Well I've had my Bauer 5000 for my 3rd winter now and there are no cracks. But now you agree that EPP offers better protection.
No cracks that you've seen, have you looked closely... Actually do you play full contact or have you taken a hard shot in that time? EPP might offer slightly better protection from concussions when it is new but once it cracks it's done, even a small crack that you can barely see can make it less effective than a VN padded helmet.

Probably right I agree, but I don't really want to find out ;)
Hopefully you don't have to find out.

Personally I find my Bauer 5000 more comfortable than any VN foam helmet I've had on.
It's all personal preference.
Exactly, it's all personal preference.

I'd rather not pay extra for a helmet I don't find as comfortable and have to deal with possible cracks in foam that compromise the helmet, as well as dealing with the gel packs that have a reputation of coming out or breaking down. I don't feel like dying my hair blue, it wouldn't make me too happy.

BTW, a quality mouthguard will help keep you from getting concussed moreso than EPP foam will. VN is tried and true, it's still by far the most popular in the NHL and they hit really hard there, yet how many concussions do you see(if you don't count Eric Lindros)? Not too many.

Again, it's all personal preference but make sure that you make him wear a mouthpiece.

stoll_16

Jul 13, 2006
http://www.247hockey.com/prod_images_large/10272571.jpg

i have that in black, great helmet.. i had used an itech for 2 years before and i just find the bauer one much better. i also find that CCM helmets are for people with narrow heads.

get an itech cage to put on the bauer. one of those ones that are flat. it looks goodhttp://www.playitagainsports.com/PLAYITAGAINSPORTS/sites/playitagainsports/0001Edition/Helmet-Cage-Itech-905_SILVE.jpg

black with white inside is the best cage

Coldaccord

Feb 4, 2007
Buffalo, NY
with single impact devices you have to get the helmet x-rayed to determine its structural integrity. I ride a sportbike and you have to have a helmet x-rayed if it ever has any impact, and most likely will be no good. They are designed to disperse the impact to avoid too much energy in one spot, hence are worthless after some physical abuse.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
BTW, a quality mouthguard will help keep you from getting concussed moreso than EPP foam will. VN is tried and true, it's still by far the most popular in the NHL and they hit really hard there, yet how many concussions do you see(if you don't count Eric Lindros)? Not too many.

Again, it's all personal preference but make sure that you make him wear a mouthpiece.

True (about the NHL) but I also notice that the ones who had concussions (i.e. Eric) switched to a EPP helmet. I also think that a lot of NHL'ers feel invincible, so I'll take what they use for equipment with a grain of salt.

Do you have any links to official studies in regards to mouthguards being more effective than a so-called concussion helmet?

That would be great, thank you.

LamborGREENie

Oct 2, 2006
Montreal
Look no further, go directly and see what RBK has to offer. I personally own an RBK helmet and I can tell you they are both very comfortable and protective. Look in the neibourhood of 4-6 K.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
True (about the NHL) but I also notice that the ones who had concussions (i.e. Eric) switched to a EPP helmet. I also think that a lot of NHL'ers feel invincible, so I'll take what they use for equipment with a grain of salt.

Do you have any links to official studies in regards to mouthguards being more effective than a so-called concussion helmet?

That would be great, thank you.

But we're talking about guys that can get new helmets every game if need be... and for that matter I haven't seen any substancial proof that EPP offers significant protection from a concussion over VN foam(although everyone seems to agree that once it's cracked it's done and that it cracks somewhat easily). And just look online for concussion and mouthpieces effect on them. It's well documented. Mouthpieces are mostly for protection from concussions, not losing teeth.

In my opinion, you can pay $100 every month or so for quality protection with a EPP foam helmet or you can pay $65 every couple of years for a on par VN helmet.

And once again, with VN foam you don't have to deal with those gel packs that have been known to get hard, fall off or leak.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Thanks for all the info. My husband's brain thanks you too. Seriously, his helmet has to be about 10 years old... it's probably totally ineffective given the beating it's taken.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
The Mission Intake helmet is supposed to be the nicest on the market, in terms of ventilation. Also, they have a head lock system that locks the helmet to your head and prevents it from moving around as much. I haven't used one, but tried them on in stores and really want one.

BTW, does the CCM FM480 cage fit on any helmet? I'm thinking of getting a chrome cage but I have a Bauer helmet...

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
BTW, does the CCM FM480 cage fit on any helmet? I'm thinking of getting a chrome cage but I have a Bauer helmet...

Definitely, I rock a NBH 4500 with a CCM FM480 and it works great. The cage will fit any Bauer, CCM, RbK, Jofa helmet. Hell maybe even an OG Cooper or Winwell...:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad