News Article: Hellebuyck, Several Monarchs Lead Way for AHL Awards

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Awesome to see him get the respect he deserves. I know nothing is official, but seeing him nominated for 3 awards is damn promising.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Has he actually been nominated for these awards, or is this just how the writer voted?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Call him up now! For glory!

Has he actually been nominated for these awards, or is this just how the writer voted?

That's how the writer voted. IIRC there's no separate nomination process - the nominees are just them leaking the top voted few.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't wait for the day Helly wears a Jets uniform. IMO he will be the true #1 this team can ride through thick and thin.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
So. I really don't want to spoil this.... but that's a Kings' fan site basically telling us that he received 1 vote out of 29.

Am I wrong?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I can't wait for the day Helly wears a Jets uniform. IMO he will be the true #1 this team can ride through thick and thin.

Hellebuyck is the one goalie I am convinced that is going to lead the Jets to the promised land. Not only will be make it to the playoffs, but we will go deep into the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck is the one goalie I am convinced that is going to lead the Jets to the promised land. Not only will be make it to the playoffs, but we will go deep into the playoffs.

Helle is at .921 now. Hutch was .923 last year and .938 in the POs.
That is still very good for an AHL rookie but he has a way to go yet to be a 'sure thing'.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Helle is at .921 now. Hutch was .923 last year and .938 in the POs.
That is still very good for an AHL rookie but he has a way to go yet to be a 'sure thing'.

This years ice caps team is a lot worse than last years tho too

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

The current IceCap's team may be bad enough to effect SV% in a significant way. They also played the crap out of him in the middle 2 quarters of the season.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, so? We are talking SV% not GAA here. Helle has dropped off sharply recently. He has not had this heavy a workload in the past. Maybe he is getting a little burned out. Or maybe he is just finding his true level. Maybe Helle is going to be great in the NHL .... in another 3-4 years. Or maybe he will be ready to take the league by storm next year. Or maybe never. So far he shows a lot of promise but that is all it is, promise.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah, so? We are talking SV% not GAA here. Helle has dropped off sharply recently. He has not had this heavy a workload in the past. Maybe he is getting a little burned out. Or maybe he is just finding his true level. Maybe Helle is going to be great in the NHL .... in another 3-4 years. Or maybe he will be ready to take the league by storm next year. Or maybe never. So far he shows a lot of promise but that is all it is, promise.

Hutchinson has never faced had a workload as heavy as Hellebuyck had this season either. I'm fairly certain almost no goaltender outside of the NHL has. And not all goaltenders in the NHL either.

In fact, despite not being named the de facto starter until almost halfway through November, Hellebuyck has faced enough shots to be in the top 10 in that category in the NHL, in a league that has more games played than the AHL. Despite having only been the de facto starter for 57 games, he has more than 300 shots more against than any other goalie in the AHL. His workload has been ridiculous, and the fact that he has a sv% that is as high as it is is insane.

After Hellebuyck had played as many games as Hutchinson played last season, he had better stats than Hutchinson has ever had in any league juniors and up.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Hutchinson has never faced had a workload as heavy as Hellebuyck had this season either. I'm fairly certain almost no goaltender outside of the NHL has. And not all goaltenders in the NHL either.

In fact, despite not being named the de facto starter until almost halfway through November, Hellebuyck has faced enough shots to be in the top 10 in that category in the NHL, in a league that has more games played than the AHL. Despite having only been the de facto starter for 57 games, he has more than 300 shots more against than any other goalie in the AHL. His workload has been ridiculous, and the fact that he has a sv% that is as high as it is is insane.

After Hellebuyck had played as many games as Hutchinson played last season, he had better stats than Hutchinson has ever had in any league juniors and up.

I'm optimistic that'll be a positive for Hellebuyck in the long term. In the short term, I think it's that much more unlikely he gets called up this year (which was pretty much already guaranteed to not happen).

Also: Wow, the AHL website is awful. I went to verify what you said and their stats page doesn't let you sort? Is that just me?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm optimistic that'll be a positive for Hellebuyck in the long term. In the short term, I think it's that much more unlikely he gets called up this year (which was pretty much already guaranteed to not happen).

Also: Wow, the AHL website is awful. I went to verify what you said and their stats page doesn't let you sort? Is that just me?

It's amazingly bad. Except for their updating of the stats, which actually happens DURING the games!

You sort by changing from "Goals Against Average" to whatever you want to sort it by. It's right below the "Top Goalies".

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I wonder what would have happened if one of Pavs or Hutch got hurt and Helly got called up and got into some games. Would we have our own Hamburglar story unfolding? We'll never know...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I wonder what would have happened if one of Pavs or Hutch got hurt and Helly got called up and got into some games. Would we have our own Hamburglar story unfolding? We'll never know...

I know what would have happened - we'd be in the playoffs already. Management can p;lay around with these goalies all they like it just buying time -- and effectively keeping us out of the playoffs year after year after year....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad