Heerema claimed off waivers by the Rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
I didn't think Carolina was going to let him go. He had a hard time progressing in the NHL, but he still deserved another chance.

On the other hand, I believe Carolina can get him back if the Rangers send him down to their AHL farm club. Anyone else could confirm?

#37-#93-#27*

HiggsFan said:
I didn't think Carolina was going to let him go. He had a hard time progressing in the NHL, but he still deserved another chance.

On the other hand, I believe Carolina can get him back if the Rangers send him down to their AHL farm club. Anyone else could confirm?
I don't think the Rangers would make the claim (give up the $$) just to lose him.

here's a bigger discussion on it: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=15695

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
This is incredibly interesting to me.

Now Jeff Heerema was a first rounder. He progressed well in the AHL and his numbers as a prospect down there are incredibly impressive. (65 goals and 135 points in 185 games). And then last year he got into 10 games and scored 3 goals. I saw him play in one game on tv, one in which he scored. And quite frankly he was very impressive.

The Rangers could definitely have a find here IMO. If they keep him up all year and play him on the 4th line (where he can use his speed to help generate scoring chances), they could avoid sending him back down where I'm sure someone else would claim him.

I'm a bit perplexed by this. Maybe some Canes fans can help out here (the few we have here at HF).

#37-#93-#27*

Here are some comments by Caniacforever who is a writer here at HF.

The Rangers certainly stole a player from Carolina today. Jeff Heerema is a speed demon winger that has great hands and nice touch around the net. He only recently recieved his first chance at NHL action last season and he produced pretty well before breaking his wrist. He was a late bloomer and struggled pretty badly in his first few pro years after being drafted but bloomed two seasons ago with Lowell of the AHL. He scored 33 goals and added 34 assists that season and was on pace to put up numbers just like that before his call up.

He was NHL ready at the end of the season before last but Carolina simply didn't have room. When given his big shot this year he hurt himself and that cost him his place with Carolina. He's going to thrive in New York and become the Nelson Emerson clone I always thought he was going to become here. Great pickup for the Rangers.

As for the reason why.
The reason they waived Heerema also was because had they not gotten rid of a forward, they would have to leave Pavel Brendl exposed to the waiver draft and he would have almost assuredly been taken.

I just hope Brendl proves himself worthy of losing a player like Heerema.
Hope that's enough info to feed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad