Confirmed with Link: Hedberg on unconditional waivers. Buyout likely.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Easily one of the most likeable players we've ever had

Best of luck where ever he goes, hope to see him back in the organization someday

B A T M A N

We all expected it. It sucks, but it's a business. You can't really move a 40 year old goaltender with a NTC. It's practically impossible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We all expected it. It sucks, but it's a business. You can't really move a 40 year old goaltender with a NTC. It's practically impossible.

I get that Moose is a good guy. And sure this is not the way we envisioned it would end when he signed the deal after the playoff run. But I don't get all this "I feel sorry for the guy" stuff. Hedberg is a millionaire. He's made about 1000x's more money playing hockey then I ever will in my boring azz job(it aint so bad really, but it's not playing hockey for a living). He'll be getting a million bucks from the dev's over the next 2 years to do literally nothing. Dude has, and continues to live, a dream life.

B A T M A N

think about it, who else would they have used both compliance buyouts on? that's the way I see it.
Bet you wish we had a compliance buyout when we had Rolston under contract and he regressed the way he did. But I'm sure you're optimistic that the team will never make a bad signing again for the rest of this CBA. :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Makes 0 sense to use a compliance.

Why? Volchenkov is the only other guy that we'd really like to use it on. Who else is one gonna be used on? Zajac? Kovy?:laugh:

I hope he makes another team as happy as he made us for a majority of his time here. He's already better than a majority of the pure backups in the league. I think he'll return to form playing as a backup only.

I think he'll go to Nashville possibly if he decides to continue playing. Wasn't it rumored Nashville was interested in him last year? Chris Mason is a UFA. He would make a good backup for Rinne. If he is willing to travel to LA, he'd make a good backup for Quick too.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Miss you already, Moose :heart:

This quote from Lou:

"It was one of the more difficult decisions I've been faced with in many years," Lamoriello told The Star-Ledger. "It's unfortunate. It's not his fault.

"I had to get my head out of the way to make the trade (for Vancouver Canucks goalie Cory Schneider). It was a franchise decision. It was an opportunity that will help the franchise long term."
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._put_johan_hedberg_on_waivers_for_buyout.html

sums it up pretty perfectly.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Moose gets it. I'm sure Lou told him much more in private about how he wants to see him back with the team in a different capacity in a few years. Moose knows the reason behind this, he is not being kicked to the curb because we don't like him.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's a few teams that don't have a backup as good as Moose. I'm not sure what every team has in their system, but LA needs a backup now. Chicago appears like they'll need a backup, Nashville has no backup as of now. Hedberg is an upgrade over Clemmensen in Florida for sure, but they have a horrible defense and he'll likely get shelled over there. Boston might need a backup if Khudobin signs elsewhere.

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
it had to happen his age was showing a bit but i feel terrible for him he seemed to love playing in new jersey i wish moose and his family nothing but the best .

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
As for compliance buyout issue, I think he needed to use one and ialso maybe how the b/o is perceived in the future...save a little face in the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad