Status
Not open for further replies.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
5x a week?

Six times a week:
P90X3_Calendar_Classic.jpg

Sunday is actually your rest day (the official calender they give you says Sunday is either rest or Dynamix). Exercises are really like 35 minutes (max) since you do a cool down at the end of the 30. My favourite cool down is in Yoga X, where you just lie there on your back doing nothing.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
For real though, for forearms, work on a stronger grip:

Double-overhand barbell static holds - 2 sets of 20-30sec, then take ~25-50% off the bar (whichever is convenient with the plates you are using) and grip it until you see Jesus and your forearms fall off. Once you can do 2x30s, add 5lbs, continue. e.g. I will do 185x30s,30s, then 135 until I cry. Since I got 185x30,30, next week I'll do 190x20,20, then 190x25,25, etc.

Plate pinches - using your fingertips (not finger-pads, shape your hands like a "C"), take two plates, face the printed sides towards eachother, and pinch the smooth side of the plates together. Same thing, 2 sets of 20-30sec, once you can do 2x30s, add weight. After those two sets, drop down to something lighter, and squeeze it until you see Jesus again as you did withe the barbell holds.

Do the above 2-3x/week. Wrist curls are a nice way to do something a little lighter to keep the blood pumping and all the tissues happy, but doing grip work as the main basis will give you juicy forearms and a stronger grip to boot.

Can you find some pics that illustrate what you should be doing? I am having a hard time visualizing it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
My favourite cool down is in Yoga X, where you just lie there on your back doing nothing.

Cool! I'm doing that on the couch right now! For weights, my laptop is on my belly :laugh:

I don't really have too many goals. Last year my goal was 1000km of pedaling (stationary bike combined with actual bicycling). This year it is 1000km with the actual bike and anything on the stationary bike is added bonus. I'm actually 170km away from achieving that. Of course, "accidentally" doing 500km during the month of July sure helped a lot. I only really bike during nice days in the spring/summer as a substitute to my cardio days in the gym, which is why the number may seem "low".

Other than that, if anyone has any good work outs to strengthen the core, I'd love to hear it. I'm always up for changing/add to the routine.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Sunday is actually your rest day (the official calender they give you says Sunday is either rest or Dynamix). Exercises are really like 35 minutes (max) since you do a cool down at the end of the 30. My favourite cool down is in Yoga X, where you just lie there on your back doing nothing.

Maybe I need a program like this, and I just set a time after work. Like I've said before, I need to create a habit.

fallsviewafro*

Can you find some pics that illustrate what you should be doing? I am having a hard time visualizing it.

Plate pinches - correct:
images

The smooth side of the plate is facing outwards, forcing you to pinch like hell to keep the plates stuck together. Nitpick - try to grip with your absolute fingertips, making a "C" with your hand instead of making a "U" with your hand and laying your fingers flat against the plate as this guy is doing.

Plate pinches - incorrect:
images

The textured/printed side of the plate is facing outwards, giving you something to grip on. This is bad - you want a smooth surface to force you to make an aggressive contraction. The plate ridges are a crutch.

Barbell holds:
images

Just what it sounds like. Load bar, pick up bar, double-overhand grip for 2x30seconds and 1xfailure. You can deadlift it off the ground or just use the power rack/squat rack to keep it at just below arms length.

This is as simple as it is excruciating. You will not believe how long a second lasts when you're doing this stuff.

fallsviewafro*

Other than that, if anyone has any good work outs to strengthen the core, I'd love to hear it. I'm always up for changing/add to the routine.

Obligatory front squats/back squats and deadlift reference - front squats in particular will torch your core.

For core-specific movements, ab wheels are a great tool. It seems like a silly device, but standing ab wheel rollouts are no joke. Start with kneeling rollouts and gradually add incline for resistance; you can also roll out to the sides for more obliques. Plank/bridge progressions are also good once you can do 3x30s or so.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Also, running SUCKS ASS and DO NOT EVER get elbow tendinitis/tendinosis. I've had my fair share of athletic injuries but good Lord is elbow tendinitis ever a pain in the ass. I haven't lifted anything in about 4 months now and its just started to subside after (very expensive) physio/chiro/massage 3x/week.

Got a 10km race coming up in 10 days, aiming for 50:00 finish.

I had the same elbow issue as well, and did no weights for a month as a result. Then I tried to do a little bit of weights after 30 days but it still wasn't healing. Ultimately what fixed it was just working through it. I altered my workouts so it put no strain on my elbow (mine was on the inside, golfers elbow). I found the worst exercise to aggravate it was single dumbbell preacher curls, the angle in which that opens up your elbow is brutal for me, needless to say I don't do that anymore. Anyways, once I really ramped up the weights again, but stayed away from certain exercises, it got better very quickly.

My biggest tip for anyone looking to add muscle is to train legs, and train them like a savage, wild animal and until you need to be carried out of the gym. I do try and change up my workouts, but I start every leg out with doing 10 sets of 10-12 reps on the squat rack (100-120 total reps). Take no more than 60 second breaks in between sets, start with a lighter weight and gradually slap more plates on there. Seriously that circuit is no joke! Lunges are also amazing for your legs.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Accidentally read my Stronglifts app wrong while at the gym. I was supposed to do 80lb barbell rows. Did 85. Still killed it. Awwww yisss.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Accidentally read my Stronglifts app wrong while at the gym. I was supposed to do 80lb barbell rows. Did 85. Still killed it. Awwww yisss.

thinly veiled brag about having money to go to the gym :sarcasm:

I don't go to the gym, I have my own weight set at home.. bench press, squat rack, dumbbells, another regular bench, barbells, the whole bit

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I have a gym in my apartment complex, it's included in my condo fees :sarcasm:

It's good actually, there's hardly ever anyone there.

Dude, nice!

@ the people who are considering P90X/2/3/whatever the new one is: It's a great program, but I got bored of it quickly.. Tony Horton is annoying and is aggravating.

The new one is only 35 minutes? P90X2 workouts were like 90-100 minutes.. too long unless I'm working out to music

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Dude, nice!

@ the people who are considering P90X/2/3/whatever the new one is: It's a great program, but I got bored of it quickly.. Tony Horton is annoying and is aggravating.

The new one is only 35 minutes? P90X2 workouts were like 90-100 minutes.. too long unless I'm working out to music

I haven't done P90X or any of that. I have done Insanity though. Shaun T is awesome, honestly. Not annoying at all IMO, very motivating and makes you work hard.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
Well I just had a stupidly large piece of chocolate cake before stumbling onto this thread. I need to start working out but I'm just not motivated right now.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well I just had a stupidly large piece of chocolate cake before stumbling onto this thread. I need to start working out but I'm just not motivated right now.

My birthday was on saturday so I have three birthday cakes in my house. Wanna come over?

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Plate pinches - correct:

Barbell holds:

Awesome, thanks for that. That definitely wasn't how I pictured it. I'll give those a try tonight!

Obligatory front squats/back squats and deadlift reference - front squats in particular will torch your core.

For core-specific movements, ab wheels are a great tool. It seems like a silly device, but standing ab wheel rollouts are no joke. Start with kneeling rollouts and gradually add incline for resistance; you can also roll out to the sides for more obliques. Plank/bridge progressions are also good once you can do 3x30s or so.

Okay, I'm going to start adding squats to my work out tonight. I've been avoiding them for the longest time because I keep thinking I'll do them wrong.

Yeah I've been using the ab wheel for a bit now, but haven't built myself up to the standing rollouts yet. I've been doing 2x60s planks, but I just started side planks for obliques.

I have a gym in my apartment complex, it's included in my condo fees :sarcasm:

It's good actually, there's hardly ever anyone there.

Ditto! So really, if I don't work out, my only excuse is I'm being lazy. There is no reason for me not to work out.

Actually I found another motivation is when there are some pretty hot chicks in there, I tend to stay a bit longer than I normally would :laugh:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Was looking up videos, and I think this one looks pretty good. Another 45 minute workout. Ignore the thumbnail lol.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
DBU, I was looking at the loungy thread in the fitness forum and you posted your stronglifts.. you could probably bump everything up, 65lbs is pretty easy for squats, don't you think?

Then again, I've never tried stronglifts so I have no idea what the program is like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad