Post-Game Talk: He’s such a Bouche

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The penalties were uncharacteristic for sure.

I agree it would be good if he produced more 5 vs 5. In reality that almost goes without saying. But he has certainly not been the ghost people on here claim he has been. He has 9 points in 7 games and 4 of those are 5 vs 5. But he has also been a key to the pk where he has yet to be on for a goal against in 7 games.
Nuge has been good without the puck and in a defending role. Good on the pk and so him taking too penalties not only put us short but took out one of our best pk players. Uncharacteristic, yes. Him passing off on shots this year or not finishing adequately unfortunately has been characteristic this season.

You know that I think this guy is an immense talent and intelligent player. He's a guy that I always expected could be a PPG to 100 pt player and last season that was realized. He's great value, especially in present contract, but if the team is to go far we need him to be all that he can be.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hilarious seeing the amount of Oilers fans calling out the Canucks fans for crying about calls and a league wide mandated conspiracy. Like children fighting over a toy
Whiniest fans in the League. I had almost forgotten how whiny they were, it’s been a long time since the Hawks clowned them year in year out.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I really wouldn’t mind:
Pickard in for Skinner
Stetcher in for Ceci
Brown in for Perry

Probably naive on my part but I wonder if Broberg/Stetcher would be any worse than Nurse/Ceci.

Would like some ballsy line up decisions. I don’t know how much I blame Knoblauch because it feels as much as an organizational/players decision than the head coach.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Perry has zero points in 7 games. Plays no PP or PK. Can't skate. Has taken bad penalties.

What are we doing here?

He is very noticeably struggling to keep up. Knob is giving him offensive zone starts too, to try to take him the skating. It's a bit wasted in this series. If we do manage to get to the 3rd round, Perry might be much more useful against a team like Dallas. Maybe not Colorado so much. In this series I think he's gonna have a heck of a time doing positive things. His top highlights where's he's noticed so far in these 2 games is him trying to (unsuccessfully) block shots in our end.

I bashed Connor Brown all year, but he might be an upgrade over Perry in this series.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He is very noticeably struggling to keep up. Knob is giving him offensive zone starts too, to try to take him the skating. It's a bit wasted in this series. If we do manage to get to the 3rd round, Perry might be much more useful against a team like Dallas. Maybe not Colorado so much. In this series I think he's gonna have a heck of a time doing positive things. His top highlights where's he's noticed so far in these 2 games is him trying to (unsuccessfully) block shots in our end.

I bashed Connor Brown all year, but he might be an upgrade over Perry in this series.
Yeh he’s not getting a lot done out there. Hoping he’s helping behind the scenes though and on the bench. I think he’s probably a pretty important voice for this team regardless of his thus far mediocre play.

Furious Nerd

Jan 18, 2018
I just listened to the David Staples and Bruce McCurdy podcast. Staples was saying this was the best game McDavid has ever played.

I do think McDavid's 3rd period goal was not only the turning point in the game but possibly the series as well. The Oilers just dominated after that, and the Canucks fell apart.

Ekholm is also dominant. He was on the ice for 16 shots for and only 2 against. He scored again and is +4 in the two games in Vancouver. Just awesome stuff.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's not even a case of Nurse underwhelming, they both just suck and drag the team down. Everytime it's that pairing out, butt clenched because you know its going to be a SCA

They were making bad play combos together all night. One sequence I swear they made 4 to 5 horrible plays in a span of 15 seconds. So frustrating to watch this pair out there. Triggered me to rage post on here during the game lol

Last edited:
Reactions: frag2

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
I just listened to the David Staples and Bruce McCurdy podcast. Staples was saying this was the best game McDavid has ever played.

I do think McDavid's 3rd period goal was not only the turning point in the game but possibly the series as well. The Oilers just dominated after that, and the Canucks fell apart.

Ekholm is also dominant. He was on the ice for 16 shots for and only 2 against. He scored again and is +4 in the two games in Vancouver. Just awesome stuff.
97 was great but not his best game imo not close. Drai was our best player

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site

Ekholm is our undisputed #1D. Nurse can be very effective when he simplifies his game, but someone needs to have a come-to-Jesus discussion with him and break it to him for once and for all that he is not the Oilers’ answer to Makar & Hughes. It’s unfortunate, since he’s got all the tools, but his toolbox is made of potato. Instead he needs to start modelling his game after someone like Robin Regehr - a tough, hard hitting, and mobile defensive Dman who plays a relatively simple but very, very effective game.

/Ceci is just constructed entirely from potato. There’s no fixing that.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I disagree there. McDavid was flying, and was the line driver. They were both great though of course.

Although maybe not McDavid's best game ever, bit I could see why Staples would say that. Especially in the moment, his performance feels powerful, and might have saved our series. McDavid also had a super-elite mix of possession control, individual offense, team offense, physicality, and defensive dominance

Reactions: Oilhawks

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 11-53-09 Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks - Friday May 10 2024 -...png

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I disagree there. McDavid was flying, and was the line driver. They were both great though of course.

Although maybe not McDavid's best game ever, bit I could see why Staples would say that. Especially in the moment, his performance feels powerful, and might have saved our series. McDavid also had a super-elite mix of possession control, individual offense, team offense, physicality, and defensive dominance
McD made several misplays giving the puck away, or ending possessions, and on two rushes was caught from behind including a 2 on 1 with Drai.

Drai was letter perfect and not only got the goal and 3 assists he was yeoman in own zone getting several strips, cycle stops and zone exits. Drai as usual was the predominate transition player.

Drai scored a goal, almost scored another from the slot just missing, and had a one timer and a great shot that he batted out of the air. Drai was incredible in this game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Finished watching the game this morning.
Havent read through the previous 27 pages but IMO the Oilers flipped script in the 3rd period on the Canucks and they did it (primarily) with one line. What a special effort from the top line. The 5 man unit (Connor, Leon, Zach, Bouchard and Ekholm) was dominant.
Cant talk enough about Leons effort here as well. He was a beast. As was Connor.

I thought that Skinner delivered much more good than bad and the bad was the Zadorov shot. The very same shot he scored on Saros as well so its not like that shot hasnt beaten a good goalie before. That goal however tainted a very good performance and a solid bounceback from game 1.

The concern for me is secondary scoring. Lines 2 through 4 did manage to secure some zone time in the Canucks end (which is important because it builds momentum) but they need to start contributing offensively as well. The Canucks IMO have better depth from lines 2 through 4 and this team needs more from any player that isnt on Connors line. This is why the team is better served (most nights) to play Leon on the 2nd line.
Tough to move away from an absolutely dominant line that Connor and Leon give you when they play together.
Its a powerful drug.

Also want to mention how refreshing it was to see this team play mean and especially with the Canucks stars. A special mention to Darnell Nurse on that note. He set the tone on Pettersson early in the game.
More of that please.

I would also like to see Brown out and Carrick in. Havent liked Browns game so far and I think that Carrick provides another RH center and he brings some additional toughness.

Overall this is what happens when this team plays on its toes.
Keep it up and they win this series in 6.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Agreed. Gretzky once called out his “best game ever” I watched that game on YouTube. In that game, every single pass Gretzky made connected, every play he wanted to make he made. I don’t think even McDavid would call last night his best game ever, the 3 or 4 intercepted short passes in the o-zone would invalidate that right off the bat.

Both McDrai were beastly last night regardless. But just saying we’ve seen better performances from McD. I would agree if someone said Drai had his best game ever in the La series however.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Finished watching the game this morning.
Havent read through the previous 27 pages but IMO the Oilers flipped script in the 3rd period on the Canucks and they did it (primarily) with one line. What a special effort from the top line. The 5 man unit (Connor, Leon, Zach, Bouchard and Ekholm) was dominant.
Cant talk enough about Leons effort here as well. He was a beast. As was Connor.

I thought that Skinner delivered much more good than bad and the bad was the Zadorov shot. The very same shot he scored on Saros as well so its not like that shot hasnt beaten a good goalie before. That goal however tainted a very good performance and a solid bounceback from game 1.

The concern for me is secondary scoring. Lines 2 through 4 did manage to secure some zone time in the Canucks end (which is important because it builds momentum) but they need to start contributing offensively as well. The Canucks IMO have better depth from lines 2 through 4 and this team needs more from any player that isnt on Connors line. This is why the team is better served (most nights) to play Leon on the 2nd line.
Tough to move away from an absolutely dominant line that Connor and Leon give you when they play together.
Its a powerful drug.

Also want to mention how refreshing it was to see this team play mean and especially with the Canucks stars. A special mention to Darnell Nurse on that note. He set the tone on Pettersson early in the game.
More of that please.

I would also like to see Brown out and Carrick in. Havent liked Browns game so far and I think that Carrick provides another RH center and he brings some additional toughness.

Overall this is what happens when this team plays on its toes.
Keep it up and they win this series in 6.
Like and agreed on all points. This was a game where the McD unit took over. Lines 2-4 we need more from. And a decent but not spectacular bounce back from Stu.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Ekholm is our undisputed #1D. Nurse can be very effective when he simplifies his game, but someone needs to have a come-to-Jesus discussion with him and break it to him for once and for all that he is not the Oilers’ answer to Makar & Hughes. It’s unfortunate, since he’s got all the tools, but his toolbox is made of potato. Instead he needs to start modelling his game after someone like Robin Regehr - a tough, hard hitting, and mobile defensive Dman who plays a relatively simple but very, very effective game.

/Ceci is just constructed entirely from potato. There’s no fixing that.
Which almost never happens.
Proabaly because he doesnt think the game at a #1 dman level.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad