Hayton 2nd Half of Season Performer?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He wouldn't be taking half the abuse if he would turn around and smack someone. Do you really think other players would take the same liberties on McBain?
It seems like you may be struggling to keep straight what it is you’re actually criticizing. Happy to just grind whatever axe you happen to see laying around?

The team has 11pts in their 1st 10gp. The first line has two PPG players and both are complimentary of their pointless center. As is the head coach who’s helped the team to the best start we’ve seen in a long time (yes it’s a low bar). I’ll just take their word for it until it appears to have stopped working.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure Schmaltz and Keller want to keep Hayton between them and not switch to McBain. I don't care who scores the goals on that line as long as someone is. That line works (very) well as it is.

Reactions: PuckLife

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It seems like you may be struggling to keep straight what it is you’re actually criticizing. Happy to just grind whatever axe you happen to see laying around?

The team has 11pts in their 1st 10gp. The first line has two PPG players and both are complimentary of their pointless center. As is the head coach who’s helped the team to the best start we’ve seen in a long time (yes it’s a low bar). I’ll just take their word for it until it appears to have stopped working.
Look, I like Hayton as a player, and he is probably our best C to have on the first line, but I see no reason why he can't be shuffled to another line to try and get him going. I have heard all the excuses, but he is just not cutting it at the moment. If the other three lines weren't contributing like they have the past three games we could be in a bit of trouble, and that is the only reason I wouldn't shuffle the lines at the moment. Do you really think Keller and Schmaltz would be doing any worse having McBain or Bjugstad as their C?

rt

May 13, 2004
Look, I like Hayton as a player, and he is probably our best C to have on the first line, but I see no reason why he can't be shuffled to another line to try and get him going. I have heard all the excuses, but he is just not cutting it at the moment. If the other three lines weren't contributing like they have the past three games we could be in a bit of trouble, and that is the only reason I wouldn't shuffle the lines at the moment. Do you really think Keller and Schmaltz would be doing any worse having McBain or Bjugstad as their C?
I don’t think any of what you just typed is unreasonable at all. And I personally hate that Cooley is on the Carcone/Boyd line. I’d rather move Hayton there.

Keller-Bjugstad-Schamltz
Maccelli-Cooley-Crouse
Carcone-Hayton-Kerfoot
LOB-McBain-Boyd

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don’t think any of what you just typed is unreasonable at all. And I personally hate that Cooley is on the Carcone/Boyd line. I’d rather move Hayton there.

Keller-Bjugstad-Schamltz
Maccelli-Cooley-Crouse
Carcone-Hayton-Kerfoot
LOB-McBain-Boyd
Those lines work for me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm guessing here, but I'm pretty sure Schmaltz and Keller want to keep Hayton between them and not switch to McBain. I don't care who scores the goals on that line as long as someone is. That line works (very) well as it is.
I'd have to agree. I would like to find a way to bump up McBain but right now our center depth and line make up doesn't really afford that to happen. Maybe he could center Maccelli and Crouse soon.

Keller-Bjugstad-Schamltz
Maccelli-Cooley-Crouse
Carcone-Hayton-Kerfoot
LOB-McBain-Boyd

I think this is one of those situations where it looks much better on paper than execution. Yes Hayton doesn't have a point. But the speed in which he can get behind the net/corner of boards to get pucks is much needed on this line. I have much less faith in Bjudstadt being able to cycle and keep a cylce alive like Hayton can with Schmaltz and Keller. I also have even less faith in his playmaking ability. Hayton is keeping plays alive with smart passes. Unfortunately the way the cycle works with that top line is Hayton is often the 3rd/4th pass in the goalscoring play. They just run literal circles around the opposition to create space and after that picks up momentum Hayton floors it to screen the goalie.

It's frustrating but it works. Like everyone has said the points will come. We may not get much more than a 50p center from Hayton but that may be fine if he can keeper Schmaltz and Keller producing at PPG clips. It also allows us to get much better lineup mismatches.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd have to agree. I would like to find a way to bump up McBain but right now our center depth and line make up doesn't really afford that to happen. Maybe he could center Maccelli and Crouse soon.

I think this is one of those situations where it looks much better on paper than execution. Yes Hayton doesn't have a point. But the speed in which he can get behind the net/corner of boards to get pucks is much needed on this line. I have much less faith in Bjudstadt being able to cycle and keep a cylce alive like Hayton can with Schmaltz and Keller. I also have even less faith in his playmaking ability. Hayton is keeping plays alive with smart passes. Unfortunately the way the cycle works with that top line is Hayton is often the 3rd/4th pass in the goalscoring play. They just run literal circles around the opposition to create space and after that picks up momentum Hayton floors it to screen the goalie.

It's frustrating but it works. Like everyone has said the points will come. We may not get much more than a 50p center from Hayton but that may be fine if he can keeper Schmaltz and Keller producing at PPG clips. It also allows us to get much better lineup mismatches.
You are giving Hayton way too much credit here and Bjugstad not enough. If that doesn't work like you suggest, we have McBain who I think is playing very good. I'm not saying those two are better overall than Hayton, but right now they are. We have depth at C, but not talent.

Reactions: Grimes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I just think there’s no harm trying someone else there for a few games, the top line was quiet again yesterday. Maybe a change would get Hayton going too
This should have happened games ago. All I hear is "the points will come, his D is good etc. etc." It's embarrassing that your 1C doesn't have any points playing on your first line, first PP, getting more TOI than any C on your team, and did I mention, playing with the two best forwards we have. You can't have your so call 1C play like Hayton and be successful. Hayton can be better, I think much better, but let's give the kid a change of scenery. Like they say, change is as good as a rest.

Reactions: British yote

rt

May 13, 2004

I mostly just want to give cooley better linemates anyway. Lol

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I mostly just want to give cooley better linemates anyway. Lol
I'm still hoping Guenther would step into that role before the end of the season. I'm losing faith that it will happen though.
Still dreaming that we're going to sign Nylander during the off-season to fit in that role. Please don't wake me up to reality!

We need to trade Travis Boyd for a similarly overpaid but more usable piece.
Preferably a shut down blueliner.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Ehh I don’t really want to move out any picks.

Not for Boyd, but is Logan Stanley more than marginally better, if at all, than our bottom pairing guys? Stanley has been a consistent scratch in Winnipeg.

Reactions: British yote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Yep, that's the fit/fluidity that I've mentioned. The other centers are better fits where they are and it's showing. It's a helluva dilemma for Bear.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This should have happened games ago. All I hear is "the points will come, his D is good etc. etc." It's embarrassing that your 1C doesn't have any points playing on your first line, first PP, getting more TOI than any C on your team, and did I mention, playing with the two best forwards we have. You can't have your so call 1C play like Hayton and be successful. Hayton can be better, I think much better, but let's give the kid a change of scenery. Like they say, change is as good as a rest.
Who's embarrassed? I'm certainly not. What embarrasses me is the lack of support in this community for the greatest game on earth.
Change is as good as rest? Never heard that in heard that in fifty two years of hockey.

We need to trade Travis Boyd for a similarly overpaid but more usable piece.
Crazy thing is that Boyd is probably the best fit for line one, if Hayton is shuffled. It's a tough spot for Bear, can't wait to see what develops.

Boyd and 2 3rds for Connor Murphy? Probably not enough.
Damn, I'd like to have Murphy back. Loved that kids game from day one!

Reactions: Summer Rose

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I’m cool with status quo until Zucker gets back, then go from there. Give Ingram the next two games.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I’m cool with status quo until Zucker gets back, then go from there. Give Ingram the next two games.
I'm in this boat. Another top 10 pick is still needed for the rebuild imo. But if we overperform I wont complain. Win-win.

I still have a sneaking suspicion we may be worse next year if we decided to integrate more rookies and not replace the Dumba/Zucker spots (if they don't re-sign).
Guenther, Doan, Soderstrom, Koly all could make the team. Or maybe we package someone like Soderstrom + some 2nds to move up the draft or trade another young talent.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad