GDT: Hawks vs Avs 7:30PM CT on NBCSCH - Nightmare (six days) Before Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There was just clips weeks ago of Perreault at Hawks practice and some clips of multiple practices throughout the year. We don't need constant nonsensical statements made with phony absolutist tone.

Evidently you don't know what "most" means.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
You turn your bottom hand over when you're winning the puck to your backhand. You don't turn your bottom hand over when you're winning it to your forehand. Any decent centerman knows this. Find me a center that does what Dickinson does in the NHL and wins 50%+. You probably don't even know what I'm talking about, because I doubt you've ever won a faceoff in your life.

Yanic spends most of his time in Rockford working with the kids, FYI. He's rarely with the Hawks. Maybe he should be, because they need a ton of help with faceoffs, and it's clear nobody is doing it.

Out with it already. Which of the Hawks' coaching staff are you related to? Or maybe you're Derek King?
It is simply arrogance to acknowledge that basically every center above the age of 8 knows this and then a) assume there isn't a specific reason a literal NHL center is doing something differently and b) that it's a coaching issue that you, presumably, could fix

Reactions: Space umpire

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is simply arrogance to acknowledge that basically every center above the age of 8 knows this and then a) assume there isn't a specific reason a literal NHL center is doing something differently and b) that it's a coaching issue that you, presumably, could fix

The coaching issue is having Dickinson continue to take faceoffs when he's f***ing terrible at it (and his technique blows). Like, maybe the fact that he does that is why he's always been a shit faceoff guy?

Let the kids take faceoffs. What's the worst that can happen? They lose 60% of them? Oh wait, your go-to faceoff guy did that today.

Again, your #1, franchise center, took five f***ing faceoffs today.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Now he wants Bedard taking defensive zone draws and matching up with MacKinnon, Nichushkin and Rantanen. Oh geez. Connor better be ready to play 40 minutes a night at this rate.

• Haha

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Which of the kids is meant to take faceoffs on the Foligno-Dickinson-Blackwell line? You really don't want Bedard eating those minutes by the way.

Richardson makes plenty of bad decisions, I've complained ad nauseam about certain players playing roles they don't belong in, but we have the pitchforks out over how many faceoffs Bedard takes in a game? I'm all for playing him more in those late lead-protection situations but give me a break.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Now he wants Bedard taking defensive zone draws and matching up with MacKinnon, Nichushkin and Rantanen. Oh geez. Connor better be ready to play 40 minutes a night at this rate.

Well, Bedard had 4 starts in each zone tonight. He took one defensive zone draw. He took zero offensive zone draws. He took four neutral zone draws.

He took zero out of six power play faceoffs.

But yeah, I want him matching up with the MacKinnon line. You're a clown.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well, Bedard had 4 starts in each zone tonight. He took one defensive zone draw. He took zero offensive zone draws. He took four neutral zone draws.

He took zero out of six power play faceoffs.

But yeah, I want him matching up with the MacKinnon line. You're a clown.
I think you just want something to complain about to be honest.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

I mean... there's really no reason that Bedard shouldn't be taking a lot of these draws when he's on the ice. I'm not sure how anyone could say it's ok, and not a dumb f*** coaching decision, and say it with a straight face. This is supposed to be your 1C, yet he's only taking like 25% of the draws when he's on the ice? :huh: :facepalm:

Then Bedard basically being sat on the bench for the last 5 mins of just about every game, including games with empty nets and when you're trying to score a goal to get back into a game? The powerplay? The PK? Not icing the best possible lineup night in and night out because a guy "works hard"? There's an abundance of stupid coaching decisions to point out with this staff. It's not like it's just a couple things, minor things, here and there. There are major glaring issues... in all aspects of the coaching.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Joel Quenneville was trying to win games above all else, and he handled the young players better than this coaching staff has. And developing the young players is the only responsibility these coaches have. It's not about winning, but Richardson consistently favors veterans in crucial situations, because he doesn't trust the young guys... It's ass backwards for what this team is trying to do.

Let's not even talk about Tyler Johnson and his infinitely long leash.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Joel Quenneville was trying to win games above all else, and he handled the young players better than this coaching staff has. And developing the young players is the only responsibility these coaches have. It's not about winning, but Richardson consistently favors veterans in crucial situations, because he doesn't trust the young guys... It's ass backwards for what this team is trying to do.

Let's not even talk about Tyler Johnson and his infinitely long leash.
TyJo could bang Richardson's wife and daughter at the same time, and he'd still be out on every PP1 and seeing huge amounts of ice time in critical situations. All while being a turnover machine.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Which of the kids is meant to take faceoffs on the Foligno-Dickinson-Blackwell line? You really don't want Bedard eating those minutes by the way.

Richardson makes plenty of bad decisions, I've complained ad nauseam about certain players playing roles they don't belong in, but we have the pitchforks out over how many faceoffs Bedard takes in a game? I'm all for playing him more in those late lead-protection situations but give me a break.
Imagine this, its a tank/development year and all that matters is the development of the young players. Two of your young forwards have been your best players all game. You're up a goal and the other team just took a penalty with a minute left. Who do you send over the boards? The vets with nothing to learn or your young forwards you hope are key peices on the team way into the future?

Fun fact, there's room for one of those vets to be out there on the ice with them for that final minute just in case!

If Richardson was taking the time to try and teach Bedard and Reichel how to buckle down and ice the game in these situations it would be pretty neat. Instead they sit on the bench and watch guys who won't be here perhaps as early as next year do it. Nobody is asking for them to be deployed as a checking line the whole game.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
I’m here to eat crow.

Albeit delicious crow.

Last season, Stalock used to be the goalie winning games for the Hawks while Mrazek faltered.

This season, it seems like Mrazek is the one in nets when they’re winning games I didn’t expect them to have a chance in, while Soda falters.

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I’m here to eat crow.

Albeit delicious crow.

Last season, Stalock used to be the goalie winning games for the Hawks while Mrazek faltered.

This season, it seems like Mrazek is the one in nets when they’re winning games I didn’t expect them to have a chance in, while Soda falters.

It's amazing what a contract year can do to a goalie.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The coaching issue is having Dickinson continue to take faceoffs when he's f***ing terrible at it (and his technique blows). Like, maybe the fact that he does that is why he's always been a shit faceoff guy?
Dickenson is the Hawks best faceoff guy besides Entwistle (who played 6mins) that has taken more than 50 faceoffs, that played last night.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
you want to team to be somewhat competitve win or lose. we have been the last 2 games. Reichel has his best game. Bedard ha a strong game and phiilips in my mind is our 3rd best d prospect ahead of wyatt. I could see us running kk, Vlasic, philips on the left side and then piece meal the right after seth. its 82 games all you can ask or is effort and some progress with the young guys. KK, AA, vlasic, hall, jones. kurashev are out 2 of our top 4 and 3 of our top 9. and we were bad with them

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dickenson is the Hawks best faceoff guy besides Entwistle (who played 6mins) that has taken more than 50 faceoffs, that played last night.

It really doesn't matter who your "best" faceoff guy is when that guy is sub 50%. Especially when it's a difference between 47%, 46.1%, 46.7%. And Guttman is at 51%, with 94 faceoffs taken this season. So in reality, he's been their best faceoff guy. Dickinson was getting killed at the dot all night, as well.

You have less than a minute to go, you have a power play, you have an offensive zone draw. And instead of putting Reichel/Bedard out there (with Foligno) to take the faceoff and ice the game, you have Dickinson and Tyler Johnson(who has been abysmal). Again with the Tyler f***ing Johnson infatuation.

You learn at the NHL level by experience. Not by sitting on the bench. These young guys need to be put into these situations to sink or swim. Especially when winning and losing means jack shit.

GWG tonight on the PPG

A one-armed man could have scored that goal. All he had to do was touch it. And let's be honest, most people here probably thought he would f*** it up.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Imagine this, its a tank/development year and all that matters is the development of the young players. Two of your young forwards have been your best players all game. You're up a goal and the other team just took a penalty with a minute left. Who do you send over the boards? The vets with nothing to learn or your young forwards you hope are key peices on the team way into the future?

Fun fact, there's room for one of those vets to be out there on the ice with them for that final minute just in case!

If Richardson was taking the time to try and teach Bedard and Reichel how to buckle down and ice the game in these situations it would be pretty neat. Instead they sit on the bench and watch guys who won't be here perhaps as early as next year do it. Nobody is asking for them to be deployed as a checking line the whole game.
The last sentence of my post should tell you I don't disagree..

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It really doesn't matter who your "best" faceoff guy is when that guy is sub 50%. Especially when it's a difference between 47%, 46.1%, 46.7%. And Guttman is at 51%, with 94 faceoffs taken this season. So in reality, he's been their best faceoff guy. Dickinson was getting killed at the dot all night, as well.

You have less than a minute to go, you have a power play, you have an offensive zone draw. And instead of putting Reichel/Bedard out there (with Foligno) to take the faceoff and ice the game, you have Dickinson and Tyler Johnson(who has been abysmal). Again with the Tyler f***ing Johnson infatuation.

You learn at the NHL level by experience. Not by sitting on the bench. These young guys need to be put into these situations to sink or swim. Especially when winning and losing means jack shit.
I agree, just stating that Dickenson is one of our better faceoff guys, and is terrible at it, so it doesn't really matter who takes the draw. (I also thought Guttman wasn't playing, I didn't see the game) I don't think the young guys are going to learn much from a few faceoffs in their rookie year. Learning to take a faceoff in the NHL takes years of practice, not 1 year.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I agree, just stating that Dickenson is one of our better faceoff guys, and is terrible at it, so it doesn't really matter who takes the draw. (I also thought Guttman wasn't playing, I didn't see the game) I don't think the young guys are going to learn much from a few faceoffs in their rookie year. Learning to take a faceoff in the NHL takes years of practice, not 1 year.

The more faceoffs they take, the quicker they learn. And taking faceoffs against dogshit faceoff guys in practice isn't going to help much.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The more faceoffs they take, the quicker they learn. And taking faceoffs against dogshit faceoff guys in practice isn't going to help much.
Still, it's just not something to get too upset about. They'll get their reps in over time, like it or not, the coach, and the players are out there to win, not develop, even if we think they should focus on the development.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bedard - leads all forwards in ice time and it's not even close, has taken 277 faceoffs on the season

Reichel - longest leash on the team (AINEC), gets promoted to 1st line when any team remotely trying would have had him sent to the AHL weeks ago

The gang of jokers will whine about anything. It's become weirdly personal, the coaching staff will likely be different by the time the Hawks are hopefully contending, for now they are placeholder like everyone else. You'd think Bedard is playing 4th line wing with all this talk that he doesn't take enough faceoffs (hey newsflash, he's not taking defensive zone draws because he's 41.2 % on the season, he is and will continue getting more opportunity to grow and improve in that department, he doesn't need to do every single thing at a rate higher than anybody else 30 games into his NHL career, he is human like everyone else... for now he is being put in positions to succeed based on his strengths and excelling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad