RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
With rebuild official there isn't much there that would interest teams

Murphy = He could draw some interest as a RD top 4 defender with low cap hit
Kampf = Pricey 4th liner , Maybe someone would want him as he can play C or W
Carpenter = Nice 4th vet 4th liner who can PK
Smith = Bum and injured
Calvin de Haan = Has had numerous shoulder injuries and has high salary over next 2 years
Shaw = Damaged goods who's future is ? with concussions
Seabrook = Untradeable

Debrincat/Strome/Kubalik would not make sense to trade as they are young NHL talent and would send opposite message of what Bowman is spinning today

Zadorov wont be going anywhere as we just acquired him

Kane + Toews have NMC and likely remain to potentially play role Wing old guard played on Zetterberg/Dats teams + It would be PR nightmare if they move them (Both control the cards with full NMC)

Keith could ask out with his NMC but would want to go to contender (Thus limited # of teams)

Dach/Boqvist untouchable young players

Hawks dont have much to trade

Last edited:

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
If they’re serious about a full scale rebuild then Toews and Kane should be moved regardless of the optics. These days it’s generally the draft picks that determine the timeframe and quality of a rebuild and their contributions do not help in that regard. Easier said than done obviously but moving them needs to be an acceptable option.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Hawks likely have to give away asset because of how much $$$ he will make

Or at very least eat a large chunk of his contract

If they retain a sizable portion of de Haan's salary, he becomes a good risk based on what he can be when he's able to play.

Carolina definitely missed that physical aspect on the blue line in 19-20. But there isn't space with the Skjei trade and Fleury and Bean now.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I don't have a clue how they're going to do anything. As the OP said it's a bunch of stuff you want to run away from, and stuff that's so good the Hawks won't give it up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
With rebuild official there isn't much there that would interest teams

Murphy = He could draw some interest as a RD top 4 defender with low cap hit
Kampf = Pricey 4th liner , Maybe someone would want him as he can play C or W
Carpenter = Nice 4th vet 4th liner who can PK
Smith = Bum and injured
Calvin de Haan = Has had numerous shoulder injuries and has high salary over next 2 years
Shaw = Damaged goods who's future is ? with concussions
Seabrook = Untradeable

Debrincat/Strome/Kubalik would not make sense to trade as they are young NHL talent and would send opposite message of what Bowman is spinning today

Zadorov wont be going anywhere as we just acquired him

Kane + Toews have NMC and likely remain to potentially play role Wing old guard played on Zetterberg/Dats teams + It would be PR nightmare if they move them (Both control the cards with full NMC)

Keith could ask out with his NMC but would want to go to contender (Thus limited # of teams)

Dach/Boqvist untouchable young players

Hawks dont have much to trade

I think I'd move Kane and Keith.. You can keep Toews as your old guard, experience, to teach the new guys, and not have the PR nightmare. Kane is still very productive, and in a normal year, would probably fetch a great return. Keith could still be in demand as well, and both would return some good assets, to help with the rebuild.

Best of luck in the rebuild, Hawks were my co-favourite team for years. Had a Tony Esposito jersey growing up.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
You just offered a ton of people no one wants. Keith Toews and Kane are the guys that are interesting to teams, but unlikely to move until the cap goes up

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
my guess would be if the hawks make more moves in season it would be
LD keith owed $6 mil in real $$ over the next 3 years. would need to be a team that is trying to win the next year or 2 and also has a budget or a contract to send back. AAV 5.5 would be a solid 2nd paring player and PK
RD Murph 2 years 3.85 AAV Big 2nd paring RD would make sense for a team that has a 2 year window contract is pretty reasonable compared to most.
Dehann 2 years LD 4.5aav if he can stay healthy is solid but would most likely need to retain or take back a really bad contract to have any value and he also would need to stay healthy till trade deadline.

if Teows or Kane would be traded my guess it would not be this year it would be next. the hawks can retain on 1 more contract now and 2 more in 21-22

shaw and Seabs are not tradable.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
With regard to Kane and Toews,
I'd be willing to retain 3M on Toews(which would make him have a 7.5M cap hit)
and 1M on Kane (9.5M) but not more than that. Part of the allure of moving these guys is to weaponize cap space to gain assets during the flat cap, so retaining more than this makes no sense.

Toews just came off of an 80 point season followed by 60 points in 70 games, with a lot of games against bad teams never played. That's worth 7.5M despite him being 32.
Kane just put up 84 points in 70 games after putting up 110 the season before. They both have it still, and expect production to go up when they get on better teams, as the Hawks were among the worst defensive teams in the NHL the last two seasons.

Reactions: CanuckCity

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It is possible to suck while having high-end talent. You just need to have depth that sucks so bad that it holds back the rest of the team :laugh:

i.e. - historically bad 2016-17 Colorado Avalanche.

Reactions: qqaz

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Hawks don’t need a scorched earth rebuild. They should move out some minor pieces and Keith while playing their young kids. Draft well for a few seasons and you will have a decent amount of assets and young NHL players with a decent chunk of cap space. They are in way better shape with actual young NHL players than LA is. Toews and Kane will still be good when they turn it around in 3-4 years.

Reactions: qqaz

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
There would be places on the Rangers at C and LHD for either Toews or Keith in 2021-22 if the Hawks retained salary. Toews would probably fit the Rangers window better.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Its imo hawks are best off dumping anyone of value right now rather than drag this out for 3 more years to get less value on the 2 big players.

Wild could give future assets if you take back contracts and retain on toews and Kane.

If thats not an option I'm sure we are definitely intrigued by Debrincat.

Reactions: Pertti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad