Hawks of Yesteryear Part II - Madden AHL 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Still pissed off that we traded him.
Can we get him off our prospects ticker at the top of the page? I get salty everytime I see it.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Good for Johns. We had to trade him to fix our cap issues but at the end of the day I would rather have AP resigned than still have Johns.

Johns is a solid player but Pokka projects just as high and might be the perfect partner for Hammer starting next year.

Welcome to the cap world.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I don't see what Johns has done to distinguish himself from most of the available and soon to be available 3rd pair options.

Even if he does project to be more than a bottom pair dman after next year, would Bowman have risked keeping him around just to lose him in an increasingly likely expansion draft?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Good for Johns. We had to trade him to fix our cap issues but at the end of the day I would rather have AP resigned than still have Johns.

Johns is a solid player but Pokka projects just as high and might be the perfect partner for Hammer starting next year.

Welcome to the cap world.

Johns has nothing to do with AP

To try and link them is absurd even by Bowman fan standards

It was a #### trade caused by Stan's failure with cap and failure on trade front at draft (When he asked for too much)

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

It was a #### trade caused by Stan's failure with cap and failure on trade front at draft (When he asked for too much)

I'm sure Panarin would have jumped all over Chicago if he had to compete for good ice time with two proven quality left wings familiar with the system in Sharp and Saad. I'm sure his agent would have told him not to worry about the consequences on his ice time and 2nd contract too.

sarcasm

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
:naughty:

What are you missing here? If the Hawks can't trade Sharp (which involves Johns) then we a potentially put into a position where we move other pieces that effect Panarin and I also doubt Panarin jumps all over the Hawkks of if he was not given a top 6 role.

You blind hate for Stan is borderline pathetic at this point and so is your inability to put together these simple concepts.

Let me put it simple for you. Johns was needed to complete the Sharp deal which opens the door for Panarin to have a top 6 role which helped him make his choice to pick Chicago. 1 + 1 = 2

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
That's so very disturbing. The Sharp-Johns trade :shakehead. Can't believe Stan couldn't send Sharp elsewhere for a third rounder.

What's our record since Garbutt was traded?

I am telling you guys this and I will say it again, Johns was sent the other way to acquire Daley and not to dump Sharp. This is my opinion at least but its an educated one since Sharp isnt old and he had had a 78 point season just prior to the one he got traded, he has a decent contract, many teams were willing to take him for a pick, he just wanted Daley so he paid the price... Just watch his interview about the trade, he clearly said he wanted not to just dump cap but to bring players to help the team now, I tend to take him at his word on that one.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I am telling you guys this and I will say it again, Johns was sent the other way to acquire Daley and not to dump Sharp. This is my opinion at least but its an educated one since Sharp isnt old and he had had a 78 point season just prior to the one he got traded, he has a decent contract, many teams were willing to take him for a pick, he just wanted Daley so he paid the price... Just watch his interview about the trade, he clearly said he wanted not to just dump cap but to bring players to help the team now, I tend to take him at his word on that one.

I agree with you.
There is no way a trade of Sharp for Ryan ****ing Garbutt alone doesn't get accepted.
Johns was definitely for Daley.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I agree with you.
There is no way a trade of Sharp for Ryan ****ing Garbutt alone doesn't get accepted.

The problem is, though, that after we made the trade, Oduya was gone. Oduya vs Daley is a wash salary wise but defensively there's a world of difference.

I'd rather have kept Johns and Oduya, and sent Sharp packing for a third than have it go down the way it did.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
I agree with you.

The problem is, though, that after we made the trade, Oduya was gone. Oduya vs Daley is a wash salary wise but defensively there's a world of difference.

I'd rather have kept Johns and Oduya, and sent Sharp packing for a third than have it go down the way it did.

Seriously, c'mon now. Who in there right mind really thinks that Stan preferred a 2nd pairing of Daley-Hammer instead of keeping Oduya-Hammer AND keeping Johns on top of that? Oduya/Hammer won 2 Cups!

The Sharp trade is one of the biggest atrocities in modern hockey history.

I compare it to Dustin Byfuglien for Morin, scraps, and draft picks (at least it was a 1st and 2nd). And Andrew Ladd for Vishnevskiy and a draft pick (at least it was a 2nd).

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Stan Bowman has constructed three Stanley-Cup winning teams. I will usually stand by the move he makes and, in general, give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Stars weren't just going to take on almost $6 million in salary without the Hawks taking at least something back. Daley apparently wasn't valueless, so Johns became necessary. I wish it hadn't been him, and I don't like that we traded him, but it's a cap thing. We needed to make the deal happen.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Stan Bowman has constructed three Stanley-Cup winning teams. I will usually stand by the move he makes and, in general, give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Stars weren't just going to take on almost $6 million in salary without the Hawks taking at least something back. Daley apparently wasn't valueless, so Johns became necessary. I wish it hadn't been him, and I don't like that we traded him, but it's a cap thing. We needed to make the deal happen.

That "something" was 4.2M in cap junk that cost the team Oduya, so he saved a whopping 1.6M in cap space lol. NICE!!! You need to tell me that there was not a GM out there that would take Sharp(3 time Stanley cup winner and a leader) from Bowman while returning him a 1.5M player cap dump in return? That would have made the cost of Sharp only 4.3M which is an amazing cap hit. I stick by my statement Stan wanted Daley and Garbutt in return.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
:naughty:

What are you missing here? If the Hawks can't trade Sharp (which involves Johns) then we a potentially put into a position where we move other pieces that effect Panarin and I also doubt Panarin jumps all over the Hawkks of if he was not given a top 6 role.

You blind hate for Stan is borderline pathetic at this point and so is your inability to put together these simple concepts.

Let me put it simple for you. Johns was needed to complete the Sharp deal which opens the door for Panarin to have a top 6 role which helped him make his choice to pick Chicago. 1 + 1 = 2

Panarin was already signed and a top 6 LW had already been moved out. Johns being moved did nothing to convince Panarin to sign and the room in the top 6 was already created with the Saad trade.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Panarin was already signed and a top 6 LW had already been moved out. Johns being moved did nothing to convince Panarin to sign and the room in the top 6 was already created with the Saad trade.

You don't think Stan assured him that he would be in the Top 6? Sharp impeded that as well.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nordstrom has looked pretty rough today against the Wild but just made a solid play to help tie the game.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
You don't think Stan assured him that he would be in the Top 6? Sharp impeded that as well.

I don't think Stan promised Panarin that Sharp and Saad and Versteeg would all be gone when they were negotiating in late April. If it came down to Sharp back with Versteeg and Saad out that's still an opening on the Kane LW and the 3rd line on the defending champs, you think Panarin expected more than that when he signed?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't think Stan promised Panarin that Sharp and Saad and Versteeg would all be gone when they were negotiating in late April. If it came down to Sharp back with Versteeg and Saad out that's still an opening on the Kane LW and the 3rd line on the defending champs, you think Panarin expected more than that when he signed?

I think his agent knew the Hawks plan. It was no secret that the Hawks were moving Sharp but I am fairly sure his agent and Stan discussed it (any decent agent would). Saad meant less because he played with 19/81 and 72 was going to play with 88.

Versteeg was not even a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad