Pre-Game Talk: Hawks @ McDavids... possibly with less McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Let alone two. :eyeroll:

Strome and DeBrincat are talented but flawed players. When on their games, they score at a first line pace. The big thing about both players is that they have to put up at least 60 points, if not 70 to be effective. Mostly because both are pure offensive players and offer little else in any other aspect of the game.

When they're not producing, or having a down year, fan angst is bound to happen.

I disagree. I think both are average defensively, but neither of them has played well for much of the season, on either side of the puck.

Neither are "pure" offensive players. They're solid NHL players for your middle 6, who can produce at top 6 levels when playing well.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Yes most teams have guys scoring at a 50pt pace on their 3rd line. LOL

There's much more to hockey than points. Once you learn that you will be better off. Good teams have 3rd line players who play both sides of the puck with some grit and will be on the plus side in most games. Evaluating the line by points posted alone is virtually meaningless.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There's much more to hockey than points. Once you learn that you will be better off. Good teams have 3rd line players who play both sides of the puck with some grit and will be on the plus side in most games. Evaluating the line by points posted alone is virtually meaningless.

That is true, but with the Hawks hasn't the Toews first line traditionally taken that role?

Not many teams have a first line that grinds and plays both ways and has grit like the traditional Toews line.

I'd say that line fills what's missing grit wise from the third line, and the typical Hawks third line has more offense than most gritty and grinding third lines.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Good teams have 3rd liners who score 40-50pts and bring not much else too, Bobby. The point was I can't think of many teams with talent like Strome and Cat on their 3rd line, can you?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
/\ read post 29 again. It obviously didn't register the first time.
What is your point here? Name a team with talent like Cat and Strome on their 3rd line. I'm strictly talking talent, with ability to put the puck in the net. Cat is a 40G scorer, Strome had 60pts last year. Yes, points aren't everything, everyone knows that you aren't breaking news to any one here with your amazing knowledge Bobby.

But they are still a key part to the game, you can't win if you have all good defensive players that can't put a puck in the ocean. Hawks have palyers that can play that game in Cagguila, Saad, Dach, Toews, Carpenter. Other teams have players that are strictly offense with no defense, there is room for both players in the NHL, whether you like it or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad