TSN: Hawks Have Had "Long Interest" in Luongo; Potential Luongo Deal in Place with a Team

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011
Huh? They were a stacked team that no team could defend against. Not one team during the Cup run had a grasp on how to play the Hawks and were lured into running and gunning with a team that was built to exploit such stupidity. They toyed with teams all year and then pronouced it during the playoffs. It wasnt just a "they got hot at the right time" type of thing.

Nashville had a pretty damn good grasp on how to play and beat the Hawks in the playoffs. The Hawks were very fortunate just to make it out of the first round that year let alone win the cup.

Also if you want a prime example of what happens to a team when they repeatedly go "all in" for a cup look at SJ. No cup, an aging core, and almost no prospect talent.

There is no perfect formula for winning a cup. If Lou comes to the Hawks and the Hawks only manage to score 2 goals a game (like they did in the playoffs last year) the Hawks wont win. If the Hawks top forwards no show in the playoffs (like last year) the Hawks won't win no matter who is in goal. If the Hawks play defense like they did last year they won't win a cup no matter who is in goal.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
He also had a decent history of choking bad including last year.

I won't get into the Toews shorthanded goal, but the man was literally one Patrick Sharp blast away from choking that game and a 3-0 deficit losing to the same team three years in a row.

Do not want that headcase here but I'll also say this...He does have the interesting theory of if you can't beat em... someone posted an incredible statistic of what he does against the Hawks versus the rest of the league. The Hawks really do own him.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Except he saved Sharp's shot, and if you watch the replay, he anticipated the play and probably would have made the save even if Sharp got more on it.

Luongo is a flawed goalie, no doubt, and I don't want him here for cap reasons. But too many fans can't judge him fairly because their vision is clouded by an anti-Vancouver bias.
He was very good in Game 6 and great in Game 7. Had a rough Game 4, and then his team took a dump in front of him during Game 5.

Martini*

Nashville had a pretty damn good grasp on how to play and beat the Hawks in the playoffs. The Hawks were very fortunate just to make it out of the first round that year let alone win the cup.
Debatable but I know where you are coming from. The Hawks were also a different team once Campbell came back.
Also if you want a prime example of what happens to a team when they repeatedly go "all in" for a cup look at SJ. No cup, an aging core, and almost no prospect talent.
Different climate considering the Hawks basic core is still relatively young. You only need to add pieces to this team and thats the only way this team can be built.
There is no perfect formula for winning a cup. If Lou comes to the Hawks and the Hawks only manage to score 2 goals a game (like they did in the playoffs last year) the Hawks wont win. If the Hawks top forwards no show in the playoffs (like last year) the Hawks won't win no matter who is in goal. If the Hawks play defense like they did last year they won't win a cup no matter who is in goal.
BUT, with Luongo you finally have a goaltender who can win a game by himself. You dont have that luxury with Crawford.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
Me being informed of the salary cap has nothing to do with what the Blackhawks are gonna do reguardless. Its nothing but a built in excuse when no fan and their knowledge of the salary cap, means nothing to Stan Bowman and his minions.Nothing. Its something to debate about on forums such as this until the world blows up but still has no effect on anything Stan Bowman does.

Congratulations on not making any point at all.

If Roberto Luongo was availible, and it seems he is, its a non factor not to look into aquiring him if you want to win a Cup, considering he is that much better then Corey Crawford. Is he past his prime? Well, a past his prime Lu is still miles better then Crawford.

You just don't know this. Evidence says that Luongo is an upgrade but how much of one? If Crawford returns to 2010-11 form Luongo might not be any upgrade at all. And he has three times the cap hit for 4 times as long. Oh wait, I forgot. You don't understand the cap.

Huh? They were a stacked team that no team could defend against. Not one team during the Cup run had a grasp on how to play the Hawks and were lured into running and gunning with a team that was built to exploit such stupidity. They toyed with teams all year and then pronouced it during the playoffs. It wasnt just a "they got hot at the right time" type of thing.

Um, it kinda worked in 2010, just sayin.

Just because it worked once doesn't mean it will work again. Half the league makes the playoffs and after that it is basically a crapshoot.

What? Luongo is in the same boat as Hossa in terms of dead weight later on down the road. Would you get rid of Hossa?

It might be a good idea to buy out Hossa in the summer of 2014, maybe. Otherwise Hawks will likely have to deal with $15m of dead cap from him over four seasons. So double that if you pick up Luongo, too. And then try to field a competitive team.

Hossa and Sharp are not getting any younger, and if you actually listen to those who post in this forum, the Hawks farm system already has their replacements in the fold. If you can get a two year window where you are above every other team in the league with a proven goalie who can win you games by himself, I am sorry, but you do it no questions asked.

If you have to trade some of the replacements for Luongo then what do you have....

...not to mention the fact that prospects are not guaranteed, that's why it is good to have a lot of good ones and a lot of draft picks. Trading those things for aging players on enormous contracts is terrible. Nobody should give up much for Luongo and his awful contract. Any team that takes that contract on is basically doing Vancouver a favor.

Debatable but I know where you are coming from. The Hawks were also a different team once Campbell came back.

Different climate considering the Hawks basic core is still relatively young. You only need to add pieces to this team and thats the only way this team can be built.

BUT, with Luongo you finally have a goaltender who can win a game by himself. You dont have that luxury with Crawford.

You can't keep adding Hossa contracts. Yes it worked out well in 09-10 but Hossa is still around and you can't keep adding contracts like this. The fact that I have to keep explaining this is mostly just annoying.

Nothingman*

I think we all agree Lou is a better goalie than Craw on pretty much any night. I think we also know that the contract he has is not going to be taken on by the Hawks unless there is a contract the other way. I am thinking it would be Oz or something like that which would free up one of our most likely buyouts for someone else and allow us to take on the contract. For Vancouver to think they are getting some cherry picked top 6 forward is, to me, hilarious. If a trade is coming with the Hawks. In fact, with that albatross, there would have to be possibly two cap dumps going that way. I don;t think even Stan-Bo is dumb enough to weaken the team just in order to get Lou.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Speculation at best.

I do remember the Hawks trying to work out a deal during the off season.:nod:

LOL, you call out speculation and throw out even more garbage. Find one credible link from a source that the Hawks actually tried to trade for him. Not some garbage speculation tweet or some beat reporter throwing out teams that need goalies. That is not fact, it's garbage.

My statement is my opinion and of course speculation genius. The Hawks will not trade for him due to reasons everyone but you can see. Keep dreaming though if it helps.

Martini*

Congratulations on not making any point at all.
By stating I could care less about the cap and Stan Bowman obviously doesnt care that fans worry more about the cap then he does? I mean, if the Oduya signing wasnt proof positive......

You just don't know this. Evidence says that Luongo is an upgrade but how much of one? If Crawford returns to 2010-11 form Luongo might not be any upgrade at all. And he has three times the cap hit for 4 times as long. Oh wait, I forgot. You don't understand the cap.
The point is I dont care about the cap when it comes to winning a Cup. Crawford proved what in 2011? That he had moments where he was servicable yet still stunk up the joint when it mattered? Sorry, I cant blame the Hawks in front of him when his job is to stop pucks. And again, that was two years ago. There is no magic wand that can revert Crawford to what many here think he was that year and this year, every time theres offensive pressure from the oppossing team I, as an honest, casual observer, have no faith in Crawford and thats in just only two games.

I won a ton of money playing the lottery three years ago. I dont buy a ticket thinking I will magicly win another huge amount of money, just sayin.

Just because it worked once doesn't mean it will work again. Half the league makes the playoffs and after that it is basically a crapshoot.
Um ok?

It might be a good idea to buy out Hossa in the summer of 2014, maybe. Otherwise Hawks will likely have to deal with $15m of dead cap from him over four seasons. So double that if you pick up Luongo, too. And then try to field a competitive team.
Then get rid of Hossa next year and keep Lu. Its that simple. Dont let this sudden play by Hossa cloud your judgement when age says his decline will be sooner rather then later. Goalies tend to age better anyway.

If you have to trade some of the replacements for Luongo then what do you have....
Stability in goal?
...not to mention the fact that prospects are not guaranteed, that's why it is good to have a lot of good ones and a lot of draft picks. Trading those things for aging players on enormous contracts is terrible. Nobody should give up much for Luongo and his awful contract. Any team that takes that contract on is basically doing Vancouver a favor.
And in the Hawks case, putting them closer to being a huge cup contender. I wont change my opinion, this team would be better with a proven, and imo, elite goalie then a roll of the dice hoping for a good game Crawford.

And no offense, but the Canucks would also being doing the Hawks a favor putting them into the position to fill possiblt their biggest weakness, just sayin.

You can't keep adding Hossa contracts. Yes it worked out well in 09-10 but Hossa is still around and you can't keep adding contracts like this. The fact that I have to keep explaining this is mostly just annoying.
Then you get rid of Hossa after next year and thank him for three SC's while he was a Hawk.

Martini*

LOL, you call out speculation and throw out even more garbage. Find one credible link from a source that the Hawks actually tried to trade for him. Not some garbage speculation tweet or some beat reporter throwing out teams that need goalies. That is not fact, it's garbage.

My statement is my opinion and of course speculation genius. The Hawks will not trade for him due to reasons everyone but you can see. Keep dreaming though if it helps.

Hmm, how about Jesse Rogers?

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4671322/bolland-for-luongo-not-a-chance

Not good enough? How about Lu himself stoking the flames;

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blackhawks/post/_/id/4671285/luongo-not-ruling-out-blackhawks

Chris Kuc?
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...le-20120625_1_canucks-netminder-rumors-fizzle

Jason Botchford?
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...terested-in-roberto-luongo-float-dave-bolland

:laugh:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Not one of those articles is referencing a credible source that a deal was on the table. Jesse..... is talking about an article in a VC paper and also cites it as ridiculous. Nice try though. The next one is an article stating Lou would not rule out Chicago.... ok....... how exactly does that further your point. I would continue but ........... duh! You're speculating on garbage. Great job!

From your own research..

Hawks general manager Stan Bowman publicly admitted to talking with New Jersey Devils goaltender Marty Brodeur earlier this week but Brodeur subsequently signed back with New Jersey. There has been no indication publicly or behind the scenes that the Hawks are interested in Luongo, who is signed through 2021 with an annual salary cap hit of $5.33 million.

News flash, any reporter can start any rumor based on needs and wants. Doesn't make it true but keep drinking the kool-aid. Did you even bother to read the links you posted.

Last edited:

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011
Trading Bolland for Luongo would create a massive hole at C for us after Toews, if we make a move for Luongo I doubt we'll be moving Bolland, at least I hope not.

I actually wouldn't mind Luongo but not at that price.

Martini*

Not one of those articles is referencing a credible source that a deal was on the table. Jesse..... is talking about an article in a VC paper and also cites it as ridiculous. Nice try though. The next one is an article stating Lou would not rule out Chicago.... ok....... how exactly does that further your point. I would continue but ........... duh! You're speculating on garbage. Great job!

From your own research..
Not so fast;

But Florida hasn't been the most interested team recently involved in trade talks with the Canucks. It's been the Chicago Blackhawks, who have been mulling over the idea and have had conversations with Vancouver.

They even reportedly dangled one of Vancouver's arch-enemies, Dave Bolland, to the crew over at Rogers Arena. Now, that would take some getting used to, both for fans and players.

Jason Botchford, The Province

I will take something from a VC reporter over JR, just saying.:laugh:

News flash, any reporter can start any rumor based on needs and wants. Doesn't make it true but keep drinking the kool-aid. Did you even bother to read the links you posted.
Actaully I do, hense, the quote above.:laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I'd trade for Luongo... VAN wouldn't accept what I would offer.

Luongo + VAN keeps parts of his salary/Cap Hit for Montador, Emery & Frolik

If they are desperate enough, fine. If not, fine. As long as Craw plays like he does right now, we have no problem with him.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Lol at Martini posting sources that only disagree with his theories.

Like I've said repeatedly before: You're not any good at this.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It'd be one step forward, two steps back.

To say the least. Can you imagine watching Bolland torch Luongo in the playoffs like he always does, all while wearing those disgusting ass rags??? NO, it cannot be allowed to happen.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Finally found a second line center by giving someone like Bolland a chance. He is simply great at shutting down the opponent, gets in the other team's head, and can score. The contract he is signed for is an absolute ****ing steal. I hope people realize that.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think they do now. The Bolland one Tallon signed was a big plus for the team because it was so long. The rest of the RFA's, sure, they were overpaid and the term wasn't there so the team got nothing positive from that.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Bolland is going to get about $5 million when his current deal expires. I wouldn't mind giving that to him. The dude is so awesome.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
By stating I could care less about the cap and Stan Bowman obviously doesnt care that fans worry more about the cap then he does? I mean, if the Oduya signing wasnt proof positive......

Yup, you are nuts. The cap may be the only thing Stan Bowman knows how to deal with.

The point is I dont care about the cap when it comes to winning a Cup. Crawford proved what in 2011? That he had moments where he was servicable yet still stunk up the joint when it mattered? Sorry, I cant blame the Hawks in front of him when his job is to stop pucks. And again, that was two years ago. There is no magic wand that can revert Crawford to what many here think he was that year and this year, every time theres offensive pressure from the oppossing team I, as an honest, casual observer, have no faith in Crawford and thats in just only two games.

I won a ton of money playing the lottery three years ago. I dont buy a ticket thinking I will magicly win another huge amount of money, just sayin.

What ******** revisionist history. He was very good in 2011. .917 sv% and an excellent 7 playoff games against Vancouver.

Then get rid of Hossa next year and keep Lu. Its that simple. Dont let this sudden play by Hossa cloud your judgement when age says his decline will be sooner rather then later. Goalies tend to age better anyway.

I just don't know of any other way to explain this to you. Luongo has maybe 3 more decent years? So even if you buy out Hossa and don't have to deal with his cap hit down the road you are still dealing with Luongo's for half a dozen years when he is either ineffective or retired. It's still a problem.

Stability in goal?

And holes elsewhere...

And in the Hawks case, putting them closer to being a huge cup contender. I wont change my opinion, this team would be better with a proven, and imo, elite goalie then a roll of the dice hoping for a good game Crawford.

And no offense, but the Canucks would also being doing the Hawks a favor putting them into the position to fill possiblt their biggest weakness, just sayin.

The Canucks would be making Stan the laughing stock of the league if he traded Lu for Bolland. They would be killing the Hawks down the road.

The Hawks won a Cup. They don't have to sacrifice their long-term ability to compete to win now.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
How in the world is this thread 6 pages? In no world would the Hawks trade for Luongo. It goes against everything this regime feels regarding goaltending.

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
No team should trade for Luongo but rather leave the Canucks strapped with his contract and wait and see if the Canucks buy him out at the end of this season and then go after him as a free agent and sign him on the cheap. Even if they don't buy him out, there will be plenty of goalies in FA to go after.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
No team should trade for Luongo but rather leave the Canucks strapped with his contract and wait and see if the Canucks buy him out at the end of this season and then go after him as a free agent and sign him on the cheap. Even if they don't buy him out, there will be plenty of goalies in FA to go after.

Agreed, 10M tied into goalies is going to hurt that team at some point, whether it comes through not being able to improve it or a nuclear situation with Luongo and Schneider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad