GDT: Hawks at Flames: 7pm MT on SN360

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Gaudreau has to figure out breakaways. What good is his cherry picking if he doesn’t convert

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't get to watch this game. How did Mangiapane do? Noticed he only had about 7 minutes.
Hyperbole aside, he was effective and noticeable in a good way. I like the amount of jam he has to his game. He's like Paul Byron in terms of a small guy who doesn't shy away from the dirty areas. It would be nice to see what he could do in an elevated role.

Reactions: Janks

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd keep him on the fourth line for the next two games and see if they can keep that energy going. Would be nice to have that line contribute more

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I know Hathaway has been good on the 3rd line, but I'd move him to the 4th and Mangiapane up to the 3rd as he has better offensive instincts. Hell even put Mangiapane up with Backs and Tkachuk and put Jags down on the 4th.

I know it was only one game, but give him a couple games up with some skill players and I feel he'll adapt quite quickly.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I know Hathaway has been good on the 3rd line, but I'd move him to the 4th and Mangiapane up to the 3rd as he has better offensive instincts. Hell even put Mangiapane up with Backs and Tkachuk and put Jags down on the 4th.

I know it was only one game, but give him a couple games up with some skill players and I feel he'll adapt quite quickly.

I see Mangiapane capping as a third-liner, so I'd rather keep him on the fourth line and have him develop the grinder side of his game for a season or two since his ability to win puck battles is what's gonna keep him on an NHL roster

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I see Mangiapane capping as a third-liner, so I'd rather keep him on the fourth line and have him develop the grinder side of his game for a season or two since his ability to win puck battles is what's gonna keep him on an NHL roster

So, out of curiosity, why does he top out as a third liner, when the guy has been dominant in every league he’s played in? Like I see his ceiling as a good top 6 complimentary wing.

His offensive talent is his best attribute, why not groom that to an NHL level?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mangiapane is a LW, he's played little to no RW. That is why he and Hathaway will not be swapped. If you guys haven't noticed, the Flames have been fairly reluctant to move guys between different forward positions unless it is a veteran (Frolik, Versteeg)

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So, out of curiosity, why does he top out as a third liner, when the guy has been dominant in every league he’s played in? Like I see his ceiling as a good top 6 complimentary wing.

His offensive talent is his best attribute, why not groom that to an NHL level?

He had a good rookie year last year in the AHL, but saying he's been dominant in every league he's played in is kind of a stretch. What was most impressive about his performance last season was how defensively responsible he was and how much Huska felt like he could lean on him even though he was in his first year of pro hockey. That I think is the attribute that will put him on an NHL roster, not his offense.

If he gets sent back down and continues to eat the AHL alive I'll be a bit more willing to change my assessment, but I want to be realistic about small overage LWs picked in the sixth round. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
He had a good rookie year last year in the AHL, but saying he's been dominant in every league he's played in is kind of a stretch. What was most impressive about his performance last season was how defensively responsible he was and how much Huska felt like he could lean on him even though he was in his first year of pro hockey. That I think is the attribute that will put him on an NHL roster, not his offense.

If he gets sent back down and continues to eat the AHL alive I'll be a bit more willing to change my assessment, but I want to be realistic about small overage LWs picked in the sixth round. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
IMG_20171214_130934.png

He never should have been an overager, he just didn't get the ice ime in his draft year. We were lucky to get him where we did.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He was excellent. Arguably even our best player last night besides Tkachuk, and very unfortunate not to have scored multiple times

LOL I always get kick out of your post. No wonder we almost lost if he was really our best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad