Injury Report: Havlat pelvic surgery confirmed, ineligible for compliance buyout

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Sharks forward Marty Havlat is not eligible to be bought out by the club this offseason, general manager Doug Wilson said on Monday.

Havlat, who missed nine of 11 playoff games and didn’t make it past the first period in either of the two games he did play, underwent bi-lateral pelvic floor reconstruction and there is no timetable for his return.

When asked if he expects Havlat will be on the Sharks at any point next season, Wilson seemed to hedge his bets. The 32-year-old winger seemed out of place in coach Todd McLellan’s system, had a mostly ineffective 2013 season with 18 points in 40 games.

“It depends on his recovery. If he’s healthy, obviously he’s a healthy player at that point, and we’ll make that decision,” Wilson said.

The Sharks are not expected to use the compliance buyout option on any players this summer. Under the terms of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, NHL clubs are permitted two amnesty buyouts during a window that opens 48 hours after the final game of the Stanley Cup Final and closes on July 4.

“I don’t see us doing that,” Wilson said. “We’re trying to build on the momentum for how our team played down the stretch, certainly after the trade deadline.”

Confirmed. http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/havlat-has-surgery-not-eligible-buyout

Last edited:

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Good thing the media in Minnesota does such a good job covering the sharks

NWShark*

Take it however you'd like, as rumor, speculation, or other. The key aside from this article:
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/211976351.html

Fear the Fin did a quick write up about it here, including speculating whether he'll even be ready for the beginning of next season which could be particularly devastating: http://www.fearthefin.com/2013/6/18/4443566/report-sharks-havlat-compliance-buyout-abdominal-surgery

That would be a bummer if true, not because I have strong feelings about buying out Havlat one way or the other. But I would prefer that Doug Wilson have the freedom and flexibility and options to do what he sees fit. This would take away an option...

Yay! Hopefully he gets healthy now...

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
This was posted in the Sharks news & notes thread yesterday...

This surgery, like all of the others he's had, isn't going to get him healthy. He's had chronic 'lower body' injuries since before he came into the NHL.

If this article is accurate, and Russo isn't wrong very often, it's the worst possible scenario for Havlat...can't by him out and he's likely to start the season injured depending on the surgery.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
This was posted in the Sharks news & notes thread yesterday...

This surgery, like all of the others he's had, isn't going to get him healthy. He's had chronic 'lower body' injuries since before he came into the NHL.

If this article is accurate, and Russo isn't wrong very often, it's the worst possible scenario for Havlat...can't by him out and he's likely to start the season injured depending on the surgery.

apologies. i did look through the armchair gm thread and did a quick search and didn't see anything posted.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
apologies. i did look through the armchair gm thread and did a quick search and didn't see anything posted.

I don't like starting new threads & I only read a few on here so no need to apologize :)

If the article is accurate it's pretty big news.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
A sports hernia would certainly explain a lot. He didn't look comfortable skating at all last season, even without the groin injury.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There were a lot of folks speculating that Havlat would be bought out, but most failed to realize he would have to be 100% healthy in the 6-day or so buyout window.

I kinda thought that whatever he had was more chronic. <sigh>

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If it is a sports hernia surgery, he will miss the first few months of the season.

I have a feeling, if the comments from DW, McLellan, et al are in line, that it might even be longer.

Sounds like they want to "totally" change his work out to prevent core injuries in the future. So, it may be a few weeks longer (on LTIR) to work up, in a new method of training, to ensure that the core is strong so this type of injury won't repeat.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
well hello LTIR..........F-ing Havlat... And you guys still want this guy on the Sharks...

Good thing maybe. He'll go LTIR, free up his 5mil,we spend it, then when Marty is healthy we BUY HIM OUT!!!

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
well hello LTIR..........F-ing Havlat... And you guys still want this guy on the Sharks...

Good thing maybe. He'll go LTIR, free up his 5mil,we spend it, then when Marty is healthy we BUY HIM OUT!!!

Buyouts don't work that way. It has to be done during the buyout period which starts 48 hours after the Finals and ends at 5pm EST on July 4th this year.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

We will have to wait until next season at which point this conversation may be irrelevant.

LTIR is an option of course, but I suspect he'll be 'ready' by camp. I think we have to just hope we get a 70 game season out of him finally.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
Buyouts don't work that way. It has to be done during the buyout period which starts 48 hours after the Finals and ends at 5pm EST on July 4th this year.

well ya that could be an issue..:cry::laugh:

ok so i will resign myself to the fact we have Marty 1 more year :shakehead:cry:

Well atleast we can roster-bait with Marty not playing for awhile.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
We will have to wait until next season at which point this conversation may be irrelevant.

LTIR is an option of course, but I suspect he'll be 'ready' by camp. I think we have to just hope we get a 70 game season out of him finally.

didnt think recoveery time would be that soon..Just how jacked-up are his insides?
Cheech2.0

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
didnt think recoveery time would be that soon..Just how jacked-up are his insides?
Cheech2.0

Depends on what's actually wrong with him but considering his injury history I wouldn't count on it being a quick recovery...but that's pure speculation.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
a 70 game season plus playoffs seems really unlikely right now. but im being pessimistic.

Id be wondering about a buy-out if we take the LTIR route and spend that 5 mil

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
a 70 game season plus playoffs seems really unlikely right now. but im being pessimistic.

Id be wondering about a buy-out if we take the LTIR route and spend that 5 mil

Doesn't that require him to be out all year? Otherwise we would have to create cap space when he was ready to return. Though, depending on the severity, I am not opposed to him being out a year to get actually healthy and utilize the cap space.

Is there a loop hole where we could put him on LTIR and then bring him back for playoffs without needing the cap space? I imagine not.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Doesn't that require him to be out all year? Otherwise we would have to create cap space when he was ready to return. Though, depending on the severity, I am not opposed to him being out a year to get actually healthy and utilize the cap space.

Is there a loop hole where we could put him on LTIR and then bring him back for playoffs without needing the cap space? I imagine not.

I feel like the cap hit is pro-rated. so if he came back by the deadline or something wed have enough space. but i could be way off :laugh:

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Yep. Unless he's guaranteed to be out 'til late March/April the org would have a hard time staying cap compliant.

There's very little chance they will be able to bank enough cap space to be able to absorb his cap hit upon return if they use the LTIR option.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel like the cap hit is pro-rated. so if he came back by the deadline or something wed have enough space. but i could be way off :laugh:

The LTIR will allow the team to increase their limit while he's on it. So they could spend over by the prorated amount depending on the day(s) we're discussing but once he's healthy enough to play, they will have to accommodate for whatever is remaining in his prorated amount for the rest of the season at the regular limit which normally means trading someone off or sending someone to Worcester. Considering his injury, it's unlikely that he will miss the entire season. Probably around New Year's would be my guess but there's very little information other than abdominal surgery.

I don't think buyout was ever going to be an option anyway but I doubt he stays on past his contract unless he really does something impressive when he gets healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad