Injury Report: Havlat (12/27)

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Well, I was really impressed with the Sharks forward depth, with the equivalent of a decent second line injured in Torres-Hertl-Havlat, that will very much be put to the test.

I'd like to see them keep Nieto-Pavelski-Wingels together, and try to fit Sheppard and Kennedy into the top 6 spots. Alternatively, I'd be in favor of calling up Hamilton, and moving one of those three onto Jumbo's line.

Silver lining is that if Havlat were out for the year, we could acquire a 5m dman, without moving a salary, and then buy him out.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Awaiting news that he tore his groin slipping on wrapping paper Christmas morning. If it was an undisclosed injury I woulda guessed he took a bow to the eye.

Honestly, liked Havlat when he was younger. End of ott/beginning chi days. He was a really good player back then. Still not bad when healthy but it seems that he gets injured by wind now a days.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Well, I was really impressed with the Sharks forward depth, with the equivalent of a decent second line injured in Torres-Hertl-Havlat, that will very much be put to the test.

I'd like to see them keep Nieto-Pavelski-Wingels together, and try to fit Sheppard and Kennedy into the top 6 spots. Alternatively, I'd be in favor of calling up Hamilton, and moving one of those three onto Jumbo's line.

Silver lining is that if Havlat were out for the year, we could acquire a 5m dman, without moving a salary, and then buy him out.

Your assuming he doesn't need "offseason surgery" again.

I agree with keeping Pavs on his own line. I like Shep on thorntons line and Kennedy with Marleau and couture. Not sure about Hamilton though as last time he looked really overmatched. Maybe it's time to give Tarasov a chance to shine. I know he's young and I really don't wanna ruin him but giving him a shot might help his development.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Your assuming he doesn't need "offseason surgery" again.

I agree with keeping Pavs on his own line. I like Shep on thorntons line and Kennedy with Marleau and couture. Not sure about Hamilton though as last time he looked really overmatched. Maybe it's time to give Tarasov a chance to shine. I know he's young and I really don't wanna ruin him but giving him a shot might help his development.

If he needs surgery do it now, so he's healthy by the buy out window.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I don't want to wish injury but realistically the only way the Sharks can trade for a top 4 d-man who most likely makes 3 mill+ is for an expensive but non essential player like Havlat or Stuart to be on LTIR until the playoffs.

I think when the Hawks won their 1st cup several years ago they had an expensive player or two on LTIR and that allowed them to make more depth acquisitions and then the injured player(s) came back for the playoffs when the cap didn't count anymore. I remember some people being bitter that the Hawks were technically over the cap but it didn't count since it was the playoffs and they had a super stacked team.

So, if Havlat or Stuart happens to be on LTIR until the playoffs and allows the Sharks to acquire a top 4 d-man, the Sharks could have a deep and stacked team.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
I don't want to wish injury but realistically the only way the Sharks can trade for a top 4 d-man who most likely makes 3 mill+ is for an expensive but non essential player like Havlat or Stuart to be on LTIR until the playoffs.

I think when the Hawks won their 1st cup several years ago they had an expensive player or two on LTIR and that allowed them to make more depth acquisitions and then the injured player(s) came back for the playoffs when the cap didn't count anymore. I remember some people being bitter that the Hawks were technically over the cap but it didn't count since it was the playoffs and they had a super stacked team.

So, if Havlat or Stuart happens to be on LTIR until the playoffs and allows the Sharks to acquire a top 4 d-man, the Sharks could have a deep and stacked team.

Havlat is the kind of player you build a contender around. He makes the team around him better by being injured. Guys like Heatley play 82 games and hurt their teams by handcuffing them financially.

Your name couldn't be more appropriate. :laugh:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

I believe it was Khabibulin. They had 12m in Soup and Bulin, but Keith was a Norris/Team Canada/SC Winner for 1.475m, Ladd was a 1.55m cap hit, Seabrook was on a 3.5m bridge for a top pairing d-man. Toews and Kane were on ELCs.

Havlat is the kind of player you build a contender around. He makes the team around him better by being injured. Guys like Heatley play 82 games and hurt their teams by handcuffing them financially.

Your name couldn't be more appropriate. :laugh:

lol.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I thought the Press Box water cooler injury was real from the GDT.

LOL

Well, who is surprised at this. He's not been producing much anyway... our team depth will really be challenged. Hope they can get healthy and productive for the playoffs.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Sorry but Ehrhoff and Lukowich for what is currently just Chris Tierney and the swap of draft picks that got us Brad Stuart in the first place instead of Vinny Lecavalier is probably the worst trades in Sharks history.

Getting rid of Ehrhoff was the best thing to happen to this team, just look at our record since then.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I say that DW needs to trade him by the March deadline or exercise the compliant buyout in June 2014. If it is the buyout, Havlat needs to be off IR?

$5M for a 4th liner is ridiculous.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
What the hell? Injured again? Did a ****ing Christmas tree fall on him when he was putting one up at home? Did he get speared in the groin by a reindeer? Seriously how the hell does he keep getting injured? :laugh:

oyster

Jan 19, 2011
I'd much rather have a $5 mil LTIR dude than a $7 mil 4th liner. Just my opinion anyways.

Agree. While Havlat has been useless he at least brings a smaller cap hit that gave the team a lot more flexibility to sign Pavelski and Couture. Sharks would be over the cap now if Heatley were playing. I think it was the right move to make but I can't imagine the org is happy about having another year of Havlat on the books for next season. It will be interesting to see what happens as I really doubt the org is willing to buy him out.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Agree. While Havlat has been useless he at least brings a smaller cap hit that gave the team a lot more flexibility to sign Pavelski and Couture. Sharks would be over the cap now if Heatley were playing. I think it was the right move to make but I can't imagine the org is happy about having another year of Havlat on the books for next season. It will be interesting to see what happens as I really doubt the org is willing to buy him out.

Why not? They pay him less than if he stays on the team. That's a better option (assuming he continues on his subpar pace, combined with being injured here and there).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Getting rid of Ehrhoff was the best thing to happen to this team, just look at our record since then.

Yeah, every season has been a worse result since then. Good call on it being the best thing to happen to them. lol

Jul 10, 2010
Hearing from eklunds sources that havlat was injured when he fell from a ladder while trying to put a picture of Dany heatley on top of his Christmas tree

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why not? They pay him less than if he stays on the team. That's a better option (assuming he continues on his subpar pace, combined with being injured here and there).

4 million in dead money over two years over one more year of 6 million in salary. I don't think the team does it even with his subpar production just because they'd rather not be guaranteed that that money goes to nothing.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I say that DW needs to trade him by the March deadline or exercise the compliant buyout in June 2014. If it is the buyout, Havlat needs to be off IR?

$5M for a 4th liner is ridiculous.

He won't be able to trade an injured player

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Yeah, every season has been a worse result since then. Good call on it being the best thing to happen to them. lol

if you are talking about playoff results, then yeah you can thank your buddy Marleau and his continued regression as being a key factor in that, not the void (or lack thereof) left by Ehrhoff

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
if you are talking about playoff results, then yeah you can thank your buddy Marleau and his continued regression as being a key factor in that, not the void (or lack thereof) left by Ehrhoff

I honestly wonder what goes on in your head to have such hilariously inaccurate conclusions.

Lateralis

Jun 8, 2011
LivaMO

Sorry Pink, but I don't normally chime in just egg things on. However getting rid of errerhoff was hands down the best move since the JT trade. Though, I'm mad we never got anything for him, since other people thought he was actually a good player. Which he isn't and never was. Error shoots, HE MISSES WIDE LEFT!....insert shocking face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad