Have any players that entered NCAA Hockey as Freshman in Age 21 season made the NHL?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
With College Hockey getting older, 18 year old freshman are getting rarer, more are entering at 18, even more at 20 and it's becoming even more common with players playing out an overaged Junior Hockey Season as 20 year olds, and then starting NCAA D1 hockey in an age 21 season.

Obviously these players are going to be thrice undrafted players that are far from the NHL radar. Has anybody managed to break out and secure an NHL contract and get an NHL shot that's taken this very long development path?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I'd imagine that a lot of a number of grinders who came up through NCAA did so starting at 21. Brandon Bollig would be an example

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Dustin Penner might fit your description, played his first NCAA game at 21 years Dustin Penner at eliteprospects.com
Interesting that he played JuCo Hockey, I don't think that even exists anymore.

I'd imagine that a lot of a number of grinders who came up through NCAA did so starting at 21. Brandon Bollig would be an example
Good example. '87 birth, played overage season in USHL in Lincoln in 2007-08 and then started at St. Lawrence in 2008-09. Carved out a 241 game NHL career.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
With College Hockey getting older, 18 year old freshman are getting rarer, more are entering at 18, even more at 20 and it's becoming even more common with players playing out an overaged Junior Hockey Season as 20 year olds, and then starting NCAA D1 hockey in an age 21 season.

Obviously these players are going to be thrice undrafted players that are far from the NHL radar. Has anybody managed to break out and secure an NHL contract and get an NHL shot that's taken this very long development path?
I'm sure there have been a bunch. Someone like Chad Ruhwedel was a 20 year old freshman and turned 21 his freshman year at UMass Lowell. Lucas Condotta has had a couple of cups of coffee with the Canadians and he was a 21 year old freshman. You could probably find a ton more

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

He wasn't a star or anything, but Christian Folin started college at 21 and played in 244 NHL games.

Matt Read started college at 21, had a couple of 20 goal seasons in the NHL.

Matt Gilroy had high expectations upon turning pro but fell short.

Jason Garrison turned 21 a couple months into his freshman year. He had a solid NHL career.

Reactions: WarriorofTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad