Value of: Haula to EDM

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
What would it take Minny fans? Would really like him as our 3C and slide one of Nuge/Drai to wing. Would also like him in a mentor role for Pulju, both in the locker room and as a linemate (start Pulju on the 3rd line to ease him in).

Yak @ 50% retention + Caleb Jones/2018 2nd?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not a chance. Haula was, arguably, our best forward in the last half of last year, plays a position of need at C, and is paid a measly 1M.

Yak might end up being a player, but it doesn't look good, and even at 50% retained he is more expensive than Haula.

In other words, Haula is very important to the Wild, with his speed, IQ, FO ability, defensive play, and sneaky offensive game, and all at a bargain price.

I don't know what Yakupov is good at. Not being sarcastic, just don't see him as being a guy who can be counted on to do anything well.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Why would Min do this? And also why would Edm do this? I thought Min was looking for Centers and Edm was looking for Defense?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Not a chance. Haula was, arguably, our best forward in the last half of last year, plays a position of need at C, and is paid a measly 1M.

Yak might end up being a player, but it doesn't look good, and even at 50% retained he is more expensive than Haula.

In other words, Haula is very important to the Wild, with his speed, IQ, FO ability, defensive play, and sneaky offensive game, and all at a bargain price.

I don't know what Yakupov is good at. Not being sarcastic, just don't see him as being a guy who can be counted on to do anything well.
Yak won't be a better player.

Haula is already a great shutdown center with fantastic counter attacking ability. It's just a question now over whether he gets better linemates and offensive minutes to see how high is offense can go.

He always reminds me a younger Cullen with less of a motor but better hockey IQ and vision.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
What would it take Minny fans? Would really like him as our 3C and slide one of Nuge/Drai to wing. Would also like him in a mentor role for Pulju, both in the locker room and as a linemate (start Pulju on the 3rd line to ease him in).

Yak @ 50% retention + Caleb Jones/2018 2nd?

This is a junk offer for Him. He was a noticeable forward most games I watch Minn play and the main piece to land him sure as hell cant be Yak. Every team in the league would beat that offer

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Think Nino

2nd/3rd line winger who always leaves you wanting more? I can only handle one. :laugh:

Plus, Nino's size allows him to be an effective bottom-6 player. Yakupov... Not so much.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Why would we trade away Caleb. We finally got some half decent prospects properly developing in the chain and you want to trade them for more forwards?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
2nd/3rd line winger who always leaves you wanting more? I can only handle one. :laugh:

Plus, Nino's size allows him to be an effective bottom-6 player. Yakupov... Not so much.

Nino is better than that. He's 23 with back to back 20 G seasons. He also was a top Corsi guy in NHL last year and part of our two best lines during the season - Nino/Koivu/Zucker at beginning and Nino-Haula-Pominville at the end.

I'd take Yak, but not as main piece in Nino deal.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Why would we trade away Caleb. We finally got some half decent prospects properly developing in the chain and you want to trade them for more forwards?

Well he is trying to move him for a forward that is much much better at this time. The Oilers would move him in a second if they could get this deal. :shakehead

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Think Nino

Yak is nothing like Nino. Nino is a big body who is a gritty net front presence, and a complete PITA to other teams.

Yak, I think, is supposed to be an open ice player, using speed, and his shot to beat the other goalie.

Thing is, Nino is achieving his potential. Yak, not so much.

I don't see much use or value for Yak except as a project.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
If you really want Haula, there is always a possible deal.

Haula + Pominville for Nugent-Hopkins + Draisaitl

We might even toss in some RHD prospect neither of us has ever heard of.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

Come on... Not even close to realistic.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I think OP is actually closer than we think value-wise, and it's not a bad proposal from Minn perspective. In a vacuum, it could work.

However...

The role of #3C is Haula's to lose. He is very valuable, speedy two-way center with surprisingly good offensive abilities. Bit of a playmaker in him, and not a bad shooter by any means. Good on the dot as well. He has top-6 upside, but most likely well be that valuable 3C that teams need on the PK. Especially on the PK.

As such, he simply is not someone we should trade. Not right now. But it's not a bad proposal, so kudos.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015

Holy ****, where do I sign?

Ignore this proposal Oiler fans.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The other idea I had about Haula was in a bigger package. Nuge + 2017 1st for Spurgeon + Haula? Not sure this is better or worse for Minny fans?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The other idea I had about Haula was in a bigger package. Nuge + 2017 1st for Spurgeon + Haula? Not sure this is better or worse for Minny fans?

that is a fair offer, IMO. It would open up a spot on the draft exemption list. Brodin can move up and play with Suter- we know that that works. Dumba would have to move up to the second pairing. Officer, but doable.

I DON't think Fletcher will do it, however. It was reported here that he wouldn't do Dumba & 2nd for RNH( still don't believe that was the offer, doesn't work cap wise, we don't have a 2nd,etc.), and don't see them moving Spuregeon.

The trouble with getting a first from EDM is that I think they would be much better after this trade. Haula is an excellent defensive C with sneaky offensive punch, and Spurgeon is also very good defensively, and able to run a PP. Since they already have two elite C's and a couple of goal scorers, EDM would get significantly better defensively without losing anything offensively, which might translate into significantly more wins in a weakening West, pushing a draft pick down into the 15-20 range. Any player picked there would likely not be able to make any sort of contribution to the Wild till about 2020.

Certainly an offer that makes you think. Could well be a trade that helps both teams down the road, but EDM would be winning in the short term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad