Prospect Info: Hatrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very good game by Laine tonight. He's looking ready for the NHL.

He's getting more comfortable by the game. I think people will be fairly surprised with how little of a transition there will be for him. He will likely have played 8 games in an NHL size rink (6 in a highly competitive tournament) prior to the start of the season. This will go a long way towards him adapting to the smaller ice.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
To answer re: Cullen and others projecting low, I think part of it may have to be that most point projections don't account for WC and the Liiga POs, where Laine really separated himself from the others.

Another part is that some are thinking that Laine will have a lot more competition for icetime, which is a huge variable in scoring, with the Jets having better wingers than many others competing in other positions.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
To answer re: Cullen and others projecting low, I think part of it may have to be that most point projections don't account for WC and the Liiga POs, where Laine really separated himself from the others.

Another part is that some are thinking that Laine will have a lot more competition for icetime, which is a huge variable in scoring, with the Jets having better wingers than many others competing in other positions.

Laine may have more competition than Auston Matthews for quality ice time, but I think they underestimate just how strong Laine's game is and who he'll beat out. It's just Ehlers on the LW, where I think Laine will end up. There is no chance he won't be given every opportunity to succeed in the top 6.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I don't think we'll be overly wow'd by Laine this year. My guess is he'll bounce around the lineup a bit and end off with about 36 points. It'll likely take him a while to adapt.
I expect Ehlers to have a breakout season.
If Connor can stick, I think he'll surprise a few people as well.

I predict Thor will surprise everyone too.
With how much popcorn he eats in the press box

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
That would make most of us very very happy. If Mo absolutely feels he needs one of those players in the lineup, then put Lipon or Lemieux in there. They have far more "pest" in their game and there's some offensive talent in each of them too. And, they can win a fight occasionally as well.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I predict Caulder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_(comics)

image.png

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand

Laine may have more competition than Auston Matthews for quality ice time, but I think they underestimate just how strong Laine's game is and who he'll beat out. It's just Ehlers on the LW, where I think Laine will end up. There is no chance he won't be given every opportunity to succeed in the top 6.

He has the pedigree to play on the 1st line with Schiefele & Wheeler. These are responsible players who will help him in both sides of the game. I cannot think of anyone since Dale who the Jets drafted that could step straight into a staring role as I think this kid can. Not Dale but close.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The skill was on display last night, but I was more impressed with his defensive awareness, and his heads up passing last night.

"He's only 18" was the thought that kept running through my head yesterday.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
No problem with that attitude.
However, it can become a problem if he starts feeling entitled to TOI or something. Because then, something of his is getting tossed in the shower.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
“I know how good I am. I can say that. It’s not a problem for me. If it’s a problem for somebody else, it’s not my problem,†said Laine, taken second overall by the Winnipeg Jets in the 2016 NHL Draft last June. “I don’t care what people think. I know I’m a good player. I’m going to stick with that.â€

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patrik-laine-doesnt-care-if-you-dont-think-hes-great-134749047.html

He said that before lastnights game, when he had two "meh" games against sweden behind him. Then to come out and play like that is a thing of a beauty.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
No problem with that attitude.
However, it can become a problem if he starts feeling entitled to TOI or something. Because then, something of his is getting tossed in the shower.

His personality is so different from EK. I don't get the sense he wants to be the center of attention. He comes across as likeable. Not sure you could ever say the same about Evander.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just look at those highlights, such an improvement from the 2 previous games.

This kid learns and adapts like I've never seen before. He just turned 18 :amazed:

He completely undressed the D a couple of times and had some very good chances. His passing in unreal as well.

The sky's the limit for Laine.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
He said that before lastnights game, when he had two "meh" games against sweden behind him. Then to come out and play like that is a thing of a beauty.

I didn't expect him to have to much success against Sweden. Their defense is scary good.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
I didn't expect him to have to much success against Sweden. Their defense is scary good.

Yes. I don't expect anyone to have much success against Sweden defense. If an 18 year old in his first two "best on best" games did not score goals against them is not the biggest surprise. They have an all-star defense, that might not be matched by any team. Maybe Canada.

Ryan McDonagh is a captain and a great D, but Laine blew past him 3 times. There are a lot worse defensemen in every NHL team lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad