News Article: Hasek slams Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Good for Hasek. Ovechkin's interview really was embarrassing. Made me lose what little respect I might have had for the dude.
Being a world class athlete as well as a less than intelligent person is quite obviously not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Good for Hasek. Ovechkin's interview really was embarrassing. Made me lose what little respect I might have had for the dude.
Being a world class athlete as well as a less than intelligent person is quite obviously not mutually exclusive.
Ovechkin's interview like many other Russian's was like "What can I say to please the western audience but not get killed back home". If Ovechkin was to openly oppose and vehemently put down Putin he would never be safe when returning back to Russia.

Even worse his family could be used to hurt him. These guys have personal lives, don't put them down because they don't align with your political agenda.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Ovechkin's interview like many other Russian's was like "What can I say to please the western audience but not get killed back home". If Ovechkin was to openly oppose and vehemently put down Putin he would never be safe when returning back to Russia.

Even worse his family could be used to hurt him. These guys have personal lives, don't put them down because they don't align with your political agenda.

Given that they want to go back to the good ol’ USSR days, they’d have no problem with making OV have an accident while mountain climbing.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011

I don't have a political agenda. Just very little respect for people who choose to call war criminals "my president".

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I don't have a political agenda. Just very little respect for people who choose to call war criminals "my president".

And that's the conundrum for Russians abroad, isn't it? It's a situation where you can speak truth to power, a'la Panerin in 2019, but you have to weigh the potential consequences of speaking out against a dictator who has a loooooooong history of having people assassinated.

I agree that calling Putin anything less than a piece of shit is doing him a favor, and as an overt war criminal I hope he is headed to the Hague asap, but for the sake of others who are in the line of fire, sometimes speaking carefully is the only option.

All that being said, I totally get where Dom is coming from. His viewpoint is extreme, but it's colored by history that shouldn't be forgotten.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
And that's the conundrum for Russians abroad, isn't it? It's a situation where you can speak truth to power, a'la Panerin in 2019, but you have to weigh the potential consequences of speaking out against a dictator who has a loooooooong history of having people assassinated.

I agree that calling Putin anything less than a piece of shit is doing him a favor, and as an overt war criminal I hope he is headed to the Hague asap, but for the sake of others who are in the line of fire, sometimes speaking carefully is the only option.

All that being said, I totally get where Dom is coming from. His viewpoint is extreme, but it's colored by history that shouldn't be forgotten.
I never said Ovechkin's stance wasn't understandable. Just that I can't have respect for someone like him.

There's innocent people losing their families because of Midget-Stalin as we speak, and as far as I'm concerned I don't care any less about them than I do about Ovechkin's folks.

The former I can respect, is the difference.
Been a daily occurrence in the US for like the past 100 years.
That's fair, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryO

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I never said Ovechkin's stance wasn't understandable. Just that I can't have respect for someone like him.

There's innocent people losing their families because of Midget-Stalin as we speak, and as far as I'm concerned I don't care any less about them than I do about Ovechkin's folks.

The former I can respect, is the difference.

It's a thin line. I get what you're saying, but it's a thin line. It's hard to say what I would do in a situation like that, so I can't judge him too harshly. If he came out and said that Putin has his full support, than **** him. But if my family is potentially at risk if I saw a word that wannabe Führer disagrees with, I think I'd probably play it safe on the cameras, while doing what I can to stop the war off camera.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
It's a thin line. I get what you're saying, but it's a thin line. It's hard to say what I would do in a situation like that, so I can't judge him too harshly. If he came out and said that Putin has his full support, than **** him. But if my family is potentially at risk if I saw a word that wannabe Führer disagrees with, I think I'd probably play it safe on the cameras, while doing what I can to stop the war off camera.
I don't mean to be self-righteous. But I'm from a country whose history has taught me a little something about how disastrous a non-approving but silently condoning majority can be.

If you can't stand up for what you believe in you're simply not a free person, no matter how otherwise privileged you might be.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I don't see what this thread has to do with the Buffalo Sabres aside from the fact that Hasek played for the Sabres at one time. Beyond that, this thread seems to have little to nothing to do with Hasek or his comments, and to be merely an excuse for people to discuss politics. If you wish to do that, there are numerous other places where you can do so on the internet.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad