Has Sidney Crosby Won His Last Art Ross?

Sidney Crosby will never win another Art Ross?

• Yes

Votes: 139 94.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why? Because they say that, at 35, he won't win another AR?

I am a Pens fan and a HUGE Crosby fan and even I can acknowledge that.
Honestly the thread even being created in the first place seems like an opportunity to just hate on Crosby.

He hasn’t realistically competed for a Hart Trophy in more than half a decade. Why is the OP even bringing it up?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Crosby won 1 Art Ross past his age 19 season. It’s safe to say that he’s not winning any more post 35.

And to the inevitable comments about him winning if not for missing time in 2010-2011 and 2012-2013 (sorry, I’ll never be swayed about 2011-2012), yes, he almost assuredly wins those both, but it doesn’t make my opening statement any less true. He also lost pretty cleanly at still fairly young ages (27-29).

He’s still having a tremendous season thus far and I think people should be satisfied with a possible Hart finalist nomination at this point.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
The dude is leading the league in ESP by like 10%, to say he will not get a art ross is pretty egregious.
But he won’t get an Art Ross again. Not through any fault of his own, just because there is younger competition in their prime that has been clearly out producing him for years now. The Art Ross isn’t an even strength award.

That’s not an egregious take at all.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But he won’t get an Art Ross again. Not through any fault of his own, just because there is younger competition in their prime that has been clearly out producing him for years now. The Art Ross isn’t an even strength award.

That’s not an egregious take at all.
The fact he is leading the league in ESP should probably light something in anyones mind. Those are the hardest points to come by.

Lol, the oldest winner ever was 37, Martin St Louis
And he never was as good as Crosby.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The fact he is leading the league in ESP should probably light something in anyones mind. Those are the hardest points to come by.

And he never was as good as Crosby.
Nor was he has good as Lemieux, Gretzky and others who never did it.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Unfortunately, that doesn’t matter at all when it comes to the Art Ross race. He won’t stand a chance by seasons end with the firepower some of the young guns now have.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mario lead the league in PPG at 36 while recovering from wtv he had so its a bit misleading. He also lead the league in scoring most of the season the year after.

But yeah, Sid isn't Mario either.

He did, but he really didn't.

Starting on the day of Lemieux's return, Jagr had more points and a higher PPG.

Lemieux was dominating in 2002-03, but couldn't keep up. 82 games is a grind. Even more so for someone over 35.

Crosby isn't winning the Art Ross this year. He was relatively healthy in 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19.

He never lead the league in points. And only finished 1st in PPG in 14-15 by 0.01 (under 1 point per 82 games played). He hasn't contended for the Art Ross since 16-17, 6 seasons ago.

It's just not realistic to expect any 35 year old to win the Art Ross. Only 11 winners have done so over the age of 30. Only 1 has done it over the age of 34.

St. Louis doing it in 12-13 was such a special set of circumstances. Crosby missed time. It was a 48 game season. St. Louis and Stamkos were a terrific duo, but most think Stamkos outplayed him. St. Louis finished 9th in Hart voting and only got 1 top 3 vote.

It's not hating on Crosby to say he is not going back to being the best offensive player in the league 9 seasons after last doing so.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby could win if something happens to all the better offensive players, which has about as much chance as all 9 of Mr.Burns’s all stars falling victim to 9 separate misfortunes and not being able to play for the power plant softball team in the championship. 3 misfortunes, that’s possible. 7 misfortunes, there’s an outside chance. But 9 misfortunes…I’d like to see that.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
In the last 5 seasons, this is how far back Crosby has finished of the ross winner.

19pts
28pts
63pts
43pts (56 game season)
39pts

No, he's not going to win the ross again. Usually misses a few games and he's not 25 anymore. And it's not just McDavid who has to miss games. Drai, Kucherov, MacK, Matthews, Marner, Panarin, Kaprizov all have to miss games too. Not happening.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Honestly the thread even being created in the first place seems like an opportunity to just hate on Crosby.

He hasn’t realistically competed for a Hart Trophy in more than half a decade. Why is the OP even bringing it up?
fun discussion topic 🤷‍♂️

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
We’re now giving out points for not even finishing in the top 3?

Oh because it’s your body pillow, it’s okay. pretty sure if it was McDavid you’d be saying he’d have to win for it to count.

Why wouldn't we?

Beliveau finishing 8th in points/2nd in Hart at age 37 in 1969 is absolutely a point in his favour. Beliveau finishing 10th in points at age 39 in 1971 before leading the Canadiens to a Cup is a big part of his legend.

Sakic hitting 100 points and finishing 7th in scoring at age 37 is a huge plus in his legacy.

Crosby is fighting Beliveau for the 5 spot. A top 10 point finish at this stage along with continued playoff success would go along way to make that happen.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022

I mean, half a decade isn't an incredibly long period of time....5 years.....but, yeah, he wasn't far off the last 5 years.....2 years ago he was 4th in voting and 4 years ago he was 2nd.....that's realistic competing in my mind.

Crosby won 1 Art Ross past his age 19 season. It’s safe to say that he’s not winning any more post 35.

And to the inevitable comments about him winning if not for missing time in 2010-2011 and 2012-2013 (sorry, I’ll never be swayed about 2011-2012), yes, he almost assuredly wins those both, but it doesn’t make my opening statement any less true. He also lost pretty cleanly at still fairly young ages (27-29).

He’s still having a tremendous season thus far and I think people should be satisfied with a possible Hart finalist nomination at this point.
I don't think losing by 3 points (having missed 5 games) at the age of 27 is losing fairly cleanly. But either way, 27-29 is no longer prime years either.

I think I already said it though, I don't think Crosby has any shot at all at another Art Ross.....to many things would have to happen beyond him playing to his full potential.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
We’re now giving out points for not even finishing in the top 3?

Oh because it’s your body pillow, it’s okay. pretty sure if it was McDavid you’d be saying he’d have to win for it to count.
Is mcdavid 35 years old? Go to bed it's late

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: