Has Germany and Switzerland surpassed Slovakia?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
This is just not true.
Slovak team had players like Kristof, Ceresnak, Knazko, Tomek, Roman, Rosandic, Hrehorcak,Griger, Ivan, Koch who are not in Slovak league.
10/22 not from Slovak league, including some key players. And the Russian team was Russia B, and did not have KHL stars.
So a couple Czech extraliga guys and a player from junior hockey, same same

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I would say Germany has already overtaken Slovakia, at least when judging by the current senior players. Although our 2004/2005 group of players is strong, I think we need to produce such talent more consistently to be able to say we are improving. Switzerland will be tougher, as they also have been producing good players lately.

Germany has definitely better senior team than Slovakia. The difference is made by Draisaitl, Seider, Grubaeur and Stuetzle. Other players are not that different from Slovakia, I even feel confident to say that Slovakia is doing better.

I´d say complete opposite. Swiss hockey is going through stagnation, or even moving backwards, and can´t produce young talents with the same pace like they used to do. On the other hand, Slovakia and Germany are able to do so.

lets take this in the right thread.

#PLAYERTEAMGPGATPPPGPIM+/-
21.png
Leon Draisaitl (C/W)
Edmonton Oilers342627531.56206
21.png
Moritz Seider (D)
Detroit Red Wings34319220.65221
21.png
Tim Stützle (C/LW)
Ottawa Senators29510150.5212-14
21.png
Nico Sturm (C/LW)
Minnesota Wild3265110.348-7
21.png
John Peterka (W/C)
Buffalo Sabres20000.0000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
vs

Just looking at NHL, then Slovakia has stronger d overall but germany better f overall.

AHL:

vs

Even.

European leagues:

Cehlarik and Hrivik vs Kahun and Macek. Again its even.

Nico13

Nov 29, 2021
Switzerland
Drai elevating his game alone makes that team better.

Definitely some good Goalies.

Kopitar as a 2C is amazing.

I feel like I missed out on some very good players but in theory the team would have Hart nominees (Drai), Norris nominees (Josi) and Vezina nominees (Grub). Nice start for sure!

Maybe I am a little biased but I think Hischier, Meier and Fiala would make this european non top 6 team.
Probably Niederreiter too. These 3/4 + Josi of course. And I think its all about swiss players on a team like that. That's already good.

Reactions: Czechboy

Nico13

Nov 29, 2021
Switzerland
Ehlers-Kopitar(C)-Bjorkstrand
Stutzle-Draisaitl(A)-Zuccarello
Meier-Hischier-Fiala
Niederreiter-Sturm-Tatar
Texier

Josi(A)-Cernak
Sekera-Seider
Chara-Fehervary
Kukan

Grubauer-Halak

Not bad

Last edited:

czech

Feb 23, 2009
There are currently roughly comparable numbers of Slovaks (9), Germans (6) and Swiss (9) playing in the NHL (forwards and defensemen). Let's compare the number of goals scored in the past games of the season: Switzerland - 38, Germany - 35. And all the Slovak players in total did not score even 10 goals (9!)
All these are echoes of the fact that a few years ago (before the 22 draft), only 1-2-3 players were selected from the Slovaks in the draft (rarely 4-5, or even without any drafted players left). At that time, the Swiss had first-rounders Meier and Fiala, and Hischier was chosen as the overall first number.
The Germans were helped by a strong year of birth in 2002: 3 players of this year are already visible in the NHL. Plus Seider was selected in the top 6.
However, the situation has changed in the last two years. Slafkovsky, Nemec, Mesar, Sykora, Dvorsky, Honzek vs Bichsel vs Lutz.
In subsequent years, the situation should also be favorable for Slovakia.If the next draft is not the most successful, then the following can provide many potential stars: Radivojevic (25), Svrcek (25), Pobezal (25), Chovan (25), A. Straka (25), Dravecky (26), Tomik (26), Nemec (26), Plancar (26), Matta (26), Kazda (27), Valek (27), Pisarcik (27), Domonkos (28), Melicherik (29), Tomastik (29), Misik (29), Huna (30), Matejka (31), Filo (32).
Of course, I follow Swiss and German hockey players a little less, but for now I’ll just name them offhand: Swiss: Ustinkov (24), Domenichelli (27), Neuenschwander (27), Rohrbach (27), Stalder (28); Germans: Lewandovski (25), Handel (25), Krestan (26), I. Gimmler (27, possibly Czech (?)), L. Steffen (31) Although I probably missed someone.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I can only talk about Swiss prospects in regard to future draft eligibles. The 06 class looks alot better than recent draft classes but it might be an outlier. Leon Muggli and Daniil Ustinkov should be strong candidates for the second or third round. Jamiro Reber might get drafted as a mid or late round pick. Then there are a few other skaters like Janis Weber and Robin Nico Antenen that might slip into the late rounds as well but are in no way guaranteed to be selected. Then on the goalie front there are also a handful of players that might get taken. Guys like Kirsch, Elijah Neuenschwander, Lachat etc.

Unfortunately after the 06 class it doesn't look nearly as good. I am not sure if we will even have a 07 born draftee at all. I wouldn't count out players like Florian Schenk, Lars Steiner, Jeremiah Mundy and Niklas Aebli completely in that regard though. And I also liked what I saw so far from the Goaltenders Gerber and Birchler. But its certainly a weaker class compared to the 06s.

In regards to 08 its already to early to tell. Forward depth seems pretty good and the main strength for this birth year. But I don't see a blue chip prospect in this group either. Nolan Rohrbach isn't comparable to guys like Fiala, Nino, Meier etc. at the same age in my book. There are also a couple of interesting d prospects but I haven't seen enough to be specific here.

Then when it comes to the 09's we are already entering completely unknown territory. I have seen very little of Domenichelli and Jonah Neuenschwander but from what I have seen I don't expect them to be blue chip prospects in the mold of Hischier or Fiala either. They might very well develop into draft candidates though. But thats just my rather uninformed take. So take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad