Has anyone attended the NHL Draft?

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
Hello everyone. I am contemplating making the drive to Columbus this summer to attend the draft. I was wondering if it is worth the trip? Is it interesting? are there activities? After the 1st round, is there anything worth hanging around for? Any interesting/funny personal draft stories? Thanks again.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I was at the draft in Vancouver with a friend. It was a great experience, especially being a draft\prospect nut. We met all sorts of players as they were all walking around the public areas of the arena while the later rounds were happening with their jersies on after being drafted. We stayed the entire time, but by the end of round 7 it was pretty quiet.

Definitely recommend it.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I went to the draft in Vancouver with a friend as well. We met Pierre McGuire and I got my towel signed by Matt Cooke and got my picture taken with the Stanley Cup. I recommend it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I've been looking into the trip as well. Looks very likely that my two favorite teams will go 1-2 in the draft. I'd be interested in hearing what goes on as well.

Do a lot of people go? Is it like a game where it's packed, and where can I plan on sitting?

mrmain18

Dec 20, 2005
Just moved 2 P'burgh
I have been salivating over the draft this year ever since they announced it was coming to Columbus. I went to the drafts in 97 & 98 (in Pittsburgh & Buffalo) and had a great time. If you are into autographs at all, this is pretty close to heaven. Anyone who has anything to do with hockey is there.

X0ssbar

I know Columbus is really looking forward to putting on a show for the Draft this year. Not sure if this has been posted yet but the 1st round is gonna be on Friday night with the following 6 rounds on Saturday.

You can also request free tickets here -> http://www.bluejackets.com/arena/NHL_Draft_2007.php

Should be a great time. I'm really looking forward to it. Unfortunately we'll be picking a little higher than I had hoped. :(

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I enjoyed the draft in Vancouver last year. It did get boring though, I left in the late 2nd round. If you don't know the prospects, do not go. You'll be bored to death. You sit there and obviously don't get the commentary you get from watching on TV. It's silence until a team picks, silence for a few more minutes, and so on. Most of the crowd is gone by the end of the first round.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I would have gone to the Ottawa draft but the lockout made it basically a closed door event. I think they are giving Ottawa the draft again to make up for it though and I'd like to go.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I've been looking into the trip as well. Looks very likely that my two favorite teams will go 1-2 in the draft. I'd be interested in hearing what goes on as well.

Do a lot of people go? Is it like a game where it's packed, and where can I plan on sitting?

The Vancouver one was packed at the start, started to empty after Vancouver made their first round pick (out onto the concourse to get autographs and see the Cup), and was half empty by the start of the third round.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I know Columbus is really looking forward to putting on a show for the Draft this year. Not sure if this has been posted yet but the 1st round is gonna be on Friday night with the following 6 rounds on Saturday.

Really? That sucks. How am I going to explain to my drunk friends that I'm staying in to watch the first round of the draft.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wait....the 1st round of the draft is going to be Friday?

When nobody's home?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What are they going to do on the 2nd day now that's going to make me want to come back the next morning?

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I went to the one in Nashville and now that I've moved to Columbus (5 minute walk to the Arena), hell yes I am going again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad