Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Cincinnati Cyclones Thread: Part XV

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Coaching -- Some have complained that Smith is no Knoblauch. But if this were true why were the Pack doing reasonably well (not great but in solid playoff position) for most of the year including after Smith took over. And it's not like Knoblauch's years were hugely successful. During one year the Pack completely collapsed under Knoblauch and missed the playoffs. I'm not in the locker room and am in no position to evaluate the coaches but the records don't indicate Smith is the problem.
Thank you for mentioning this. I was reading the posts suggesting coaching is the issue, kind of in disbelief. Like, just in general, aside from the extremes, coaching is pretty fungible. The players are the ones who decide the match. And I’m quite sure Smith and his 40-plus years in the pro game is not the reason they’re losing.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Thank you for mentioning this. I was reading the posts suggesting coaching is the issue, kind of in disbelief. Like, just in general, aside from the extremes, coaching is pretty fungible. The players are the ones who decide the match. And I’m quite sure Smith and his 40-plus years in the pro game is not the reason they’re losing.
But its HF Rangers .

EVERYTHING is the coaches fault.

And Troubas.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Pack lose 4-1 against last place Bridgeport. None of the goals were Garand's fault. Defensive lapses by Berard, Mackay and Hollowell (-4 but only responsible for one goal). Korczak scores on a nice wrist shot for the Pack's lone goal.

Mancini was even with two shots and Chmelar was -1 with no shots. Mancini paired with Broulliard and Chmelar on a line with Blidh and Henriksson.

Off to Charlotte for two games. Charlotte has dominated the Pack this year.
I'll be at the Saturday afternoon game....in your opinion, which Pack guys should we keep our eyes on?

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'll be at the Saturday afternoon game....in your opinion, which Pack guys should we keep our eyes on?
NYR signed prospects:
Berard, Othmann, Edstrom, Chmelar (if dressed,) Sykora(if back in,) Trivigno, Henriksson, Korczak
Mackey, Scanlin, Mancini, Robertson

(mild clarification - Mackey isn't really a 'prospect' but key vet in NYR's D depth chart)

Last edited:

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
1-0 Charlotte after 1. Charlotte scores on a lucky bounce. A Charlotte shot just after a penalty kill goes right to a Charlotte player in front who roofs it by Domingue who has no chance.

Berard draws a penalty early on but the power play is terrible. The Pack kill off 4 penalties, with a couple on questionable calls. Sykora does get a penalty shot on a nice set up from Henriksson but hits the post. Not a bad road penalty but not enough offense, some of which caused by the time spend on the penalty kill.

Domingue in goal with Olas backing up. Hallowell sick so Hillman in. Edstrom sick and Petan day to day so Pekar and Sykora back in.

Springfield is 4-4 against Laval through 2. The Pack's magic number against Springfield is six.If Springfield loses today and the Pack win both games this weekend it clinches a playoff spot.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The vanishing of Pack's O so often is irritating

In his season summary a few days back, RangerRic cited the low stats for the Cs.
JBrodz recall (and never returning) shouldnt have been SO impactful for SO long.
They got a lot of guys set for next season but adding a #1(AHL)C seems the priority

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I hate to complain about the officials but they have been terrible today. On the charlotte second goal Robertson and his man are engaged behind the net and the Charlotte player hooks his leg around Robertson to knock him down, it should have been a tripping penalty, the the player finds someone in front giving Domingue no chance. The Pack finally wake up towards the end of the second period but can't score. Othmann and a Charlotte player get into a fight with both going down to the ice and with Othmann underneath him the Charlotte player keeps throwing punches. I don't know how that isn't called. big skirmish at the end. The officials have lost control of the game.

On the positive side Springfield loses and Mancini looks good and made a strong rush up the ice, something I wasn't sure he had in his game.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If this losing streak causes the Wolfpack to miss the playoffs, they need to get new coaching staff this summer. This is unacceptable

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Karl Henriksson and Mathew Robertson have something in common. Useless 2ed round picks. What a waste. Not NHL players in their future.

• Haha
Reactions: cwede

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
4-0 with four minutes left. On a Charlotte PP Robertson is way out of position in the middle of the ice allowing a pass to the wing where the Charlotte player comes in alone and scores. On the fourth goal Broulliard caught up ice leading to a 2-1 and a goal. Korczka just took a delay of game penalty. The ninth power play for Charlotte today. Hartford with only 18 shots on goal.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Hartford plays Charlotte again today at 1 pm. I'm not expecting a win but scoring a goal or two would be nice. Charlotte has shut out Hartford in 3 straight games, and Hartford has only scored 18 goals in their last 13 games. 5 of those 18 came in 1 game (which they lost).

Thankfully, Springfield has been terrible as well, losing 4 straight and 7 of their last 10. Hartford still has a 7-point lead on them, with Springfield only having 5 games left. Hartford has 2 game remaining vs Springfield, however, which could allow them to catch up. If Hartford does make the playoffs, they will be the 5th or 6th seed in the Atlantic division.

Assuming they get in, they would match up against either Hershey or Providence. They have been good against Providence, going 5-3-1. They beat providence twice in a row early in March, just prior to their massive streak of terrible play. Against Hershey, they are only 1-3, and Hershey is a far better team overall than Providence.

If we going to have any hope of winning a round in the playoffs, we have to hope we play Providence. That will happen if we can stay ahead of Lehigh Valley, who is 3 points behind with both teams having 6 games left. Lehigh Valley has only been .500 over their last 10, but given how poorly Hartford has played, that pace is more than enough to pace them.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Garand in goal.

Yoon in with Pack dressing 7 D. Hallowell out, presumably still sick.

Edstrom back in. Trivigno and Pekar out. Pack dressing 11 forwards.

And it would be nice if Hartford at least scored a goal. Haven't scored against Charlotte in 211 minutes and 48 seconds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad