Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL)/Maine Mariners (ECHL) Thread: Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Do they have back-to-back-to-back games in the AHL? I mean, Hartford played yesterday, today and will be playing tomorrow.
Yes. Fairly often. As I mentioned earlier in the week, the attendance for weekday games is very poor. AHL games are heavily reliant on kids coming out--like minor league baseball, it's often a family event. So no games for the kiddos on school nights.

As a result, they really jam the weekends full of games. That's their best opportunity to fill the seats. If they want to fill the seats on weekdays, they have to run promotions which obviously have a financial cost associated with them. So, lots of three-in-three or three-in-four.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Terrance Wallin 2 G as Newfoundland Splits the series with a 5-2 Win on the 26th of October.....Mariners and Growlers rematch on 11/2

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Yes. Fairly often. As I mentioned earlier in the week, the attendance for weekday games is very poor. AHL games are heavily reliant on kids coming out--like minor league baseball, it's often a family event. So no games for the kiddos on school nights.

As a result, they really jam the weekends full of games. That's their best opportunity to fill the seats. If they want to fill the seats on weekdays, they have to run promotions which obviously have a financial cost associated with them. So, lots of three-in-three or three-in-four.

Cool, thank you.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm sure it's a good mix of both, but the veterans they brought in this year on top of Knoblauch's coaching have been incredible for the Pack. If Knoblauch can turn HFD into a sustained winner, he may be looking at a job ob Broadway in the next couple of years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Igor's amazing. I think even if the Rangers called up Filip this would still be a good team--a playoff team. Their defense is pretty solid and the goaltending either very good (Huska) or spectacular (Shesterkin). They've been finding ways to win and even in games where Chytil's not putting up points.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Great to see Shesty translating well and getting results like those off us behind him expect. I was already big time in the camp of developing culture in Hartford last year, so I’m loving what is brewing down there this year.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Flamingos only in the AHL thread form now on plz.

Igor still looks like he's playing on SKA. Low key most amazing outcome so far this season from de kids.

Reactions: BKGooner

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
Haven't watched the team but to those who have . . . is there a structure, game plan, defensive system that seems to have been missing from the org, for like ever? Czar reads to have been great but Huska so far too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Everybody is high about Shestyorkin. But how is doing Adam Huska?
He has been really good. Not at the level of Shesterkin, but he has been solid. Looks like a guy that (for HFD, anyway) will give you a good chance to win every night.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Haven't watched the team but to those who have . . . is there a structure, game plan, defensive system that seems to have been missing from the org, for like ever? Czar reads to have been great but Huska so far too.

its night and day different than the parent club.

Gap control biggest thing. 5 in the picture. They don’t give up easy entries

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How did Chytil look?

at least Chytil did not run back to the Czech league like Kravtsov did for the KHL. better call up Chytil before he bolts as well lmfao i would keep in Hartford until Thanksgiving unless injuries. I would not put him in this horrible team right now. let him stay in a winning culture

Reactions: bl02

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Igor's amazing. I think even if the Rangers called up Filip this would still be a good team--a playoff team. Their defense is pretty solid and the goaltending either very good (Huska) or spectacular (Shesterkin). They've been finding ways to win and even in games where Chytil's not putting up points.
Might Igor!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How did Chytil look?

I only saw the 3rd and OT. I mean, he looked perfectly OK. But at the same time, there just isn’t much “hockey” played in that league. He gets to have the puck a bit, turn up ice with the puck here and there, move it some distance when going through the neutral zone.

But the AHL can be described in a nutshell by how the game is played in 3 on 3 OT. When a forward get the puck he will skate straight up ice against two defenders and then fire it into the chest of the goalie. HFD did it a few times and Bridgeport did it like every time lol.

I think the AHL is great for a kid that is a finished product, but needs to fine tune his game. I am far from convinced that it’s that great for a kid trying to ‘develop’ his offensive game. And it’s like what we have seen when Chytil has been called up, the offensive substance haven’t quite been there.

With that said, Chytil is more confident in the AHL and playing in that environment should be better for him for that reason alone. He is a little jumpy in the NHL and has too much respect when he plays with better linemates.

The down side is of course that the offensive game down there is extremely simplistic. If we look at the better players in the NHL, everything is done with a purpose. We saw Marchand-Bergeron-Pasternak last night. They always are trying to play of each other to get advantages. If you pass the puck in the AHL, you are basically never getting it back. It’s look down, fire the puck on net, and go from there.

What HFD does well is just being really patient defensively and just waiting for mistakes that they can capatilize on. The forwards will try to maybe go wide on a defender here and there, but really, it’s “Boo Nieves” hockey. Put 24 Boo Nieves on the ice divested over 2 teams and you get the picture... ;)

But what makes me a little heart broken is that there isn’t even much forechecking going on. Teams are sitting back more. They get stretched out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
its night and day different than the parent club.

Gap control biggest thing. 5 in the picture. They don’t give up easy entries

Yeah at the same time, they’ve won like 8 out of 9 but 4 have been in OT and basically one victory has been decisive and in most games they are pushed back more than they push forward.

However, with that said, it’s a new team with a new coach and it’s still really early in the season. Under those conditions it’s of course better to start a little more cautious and slowly and surely try to expand the register of the team. So I would definitely not hold it against Knoblauch for playing a really cautious brand of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad