Mack 5
Kuch 0

Total from those 3

Mack 41
Kuch 20

Odds to win the awards:
Mack -300
Kuch +500

So, while those are not actual voters, that is 3 different media outlets' voters polls. That, combied with the betting odds, leads me to believe it is highly likely MacKinnon is the massive favorite to win the Hart.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it is by far the most likely scenario

Reactions: Wings4Life

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Surprised by how many ppl are saying Kucherov over MacKinnon.

• Scoring numbers are a wash
    • Kucherov has 4 more points (144 vs. 140, 2.9% higher), but it's a bit naive the consider goals and assists equal, when per team goal scored there's only one player goal, but generally 2 assists
    • Mac has 7 more goals (51 vs. 44, 15.9% higher), and has more primary points than Kucherov
    • Also worth noting - Kucherov 7 empty net goals, Mac 3
  • Just watching them play, Kucherov is more of a pure offensive force, while MacKinnon wins way more puck battles, is much better defensively, and much more physical
    • With their offence basically equal, and Mac way better basically everywhere else, seems clear that overall impact on winning is Mac by a wide margin, no?
  • Colorado were quite a lot better - 107 points and +50 goal differential vs. 98 points and +23 goal differential. Both teams are not the powerhouses they once were in terms of supporting casts, but I actually think ppl tend to underrate Kucherov's support and overrate Mac's, I think they had very similar overall quality of help this year
    • Mac's supporting cast:
      • High end help: I have his top 6 teammates as Makar, Rantanen, Toews, Nuke, Lehkonen and Drouin
      • Goaltending: crap (Georgiev is a super weak starter)
      • Worst hole in lineup: super weak 2C (Mitts is solid, but was only there for 18 games, the rest of the season it was a completely washed RyJo, or Colton)
      • Key players missing lots of games: Landeskog missed the whole season, Lehkonen missed 37 games, Nuke missed 28 games
      • Overall depth (F/D/G): mediocre
    • Kucherov's:
      • High end help: I have his top 6 teammates as Point, Hedman, Stamkos, Vasi, Hagel and Sergachev
      • Goaltending: strong (I know Vasi didn't put up the greatest numbers this year, but he's a way, way better goalie than Geogiev)
      • Worst hole in lineup: 2D, normally fine but Sergachev missed so many games that it became a major hole
      • Key players missing lots of games: Sergachev missed 48 games, Cernak missed 13
      • Overall depth (F/D/G): mediocre
    • Overall their supporting casts were pretty comparable IMO, but Mac's team did a lot better, that's a strong point in Mac's favour
      • Also Mac was a team best +35, Kucherov was +8, and well behind his team's leader (Hedman, +18)
      • The Avs's overall goal differential was 27 goals better than the Lightning's, and Mac was personally +27 better than Kucherov
A very superficial analysis is that Kucherov scored 4 more points, and had a bigger gap in points to the #2 on his team. But Mac IMO provided a lot more overall value to his team in terms of winning games, his team did quite a bit better (with IMO similar supporting casts), and I just think he's a better overall player. Mac for me, by a fairly wide margin.

Mac vs. McDavid is way closer for me, basically a wash in terms of performance this year (I do think McDavid is the better player, but just this year, quite even). But when it's basically a wash like this (very similar individual and team performance, seemingly very similar impact), the Hart tends to go to a first time winner over someone who's already won, and Mac hasn't won yet while McDavid has 3 Harts, so I think voters would tend to side with Mac. For me either could win ... but slight edge Mac - 8 more points, 19 more goals, a touch better defensively, a bit more physical, team had 3 more points with a similar supporting cast, and yeah, first time winner vs. already has 3.
but...but...AR winner "deserves the Hart this year"

and "KuChErOv WaS hIsTorIc!"

Reactions: Darren McCord

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
True, but we already knew that he was getting it back in January based on the whims of journalists, before the games were actually played and Kucherov showed he was statistically the better player.

There just isn't a statistical argument, or an achievement, that puts Mackinnon above Kucherov, especially considering that Kucherov doing it as a winger has never been done before, not even close.
Sure if one looks at specific stats but even then if a person can't make a reasonable argument for Kuch, Mack or McDavid in any order then they shouldn't be allowed to vote as all 3 are worthy and had Hart worthy seasons.

The tipping point, unfair as some might believe, is that Mack doesn't have one yet and if he wins the Kuch had a significantly higher impact argument just isn't there in reality.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
If the names on their stat sheets were swapped, Kucherov doesn't even make the finalist lists.
We get it you think Kucherov deserves it , but this is such a false statement.

- 2nd in pts
- top 4 in goals and assists (only player top 4 in both categories)
- most ES pts

You don't think kucherov would be a nominee with those ? Stop acting like Mackinnon is considered because of his nationality, he is at absolute worst 2nd this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad