Hart Trophy: Who has better claim?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I am afraid Kucherov has ran away with it and I think the voters will share the same opinion. Unless MacK piles on multiple points against the Oilers tonite, Kucherov has a nice easy gap, and led the Art Ross race for such a huge percentage of the season.
The gap is going to be 6 or less pts and Mackinnon will have 7 or more goals on Kuch.

If mack can put up 3 pts in his final game kuch will have 99% as many pts as Kucherov.

This is not a runaway , its a very, very tight race and i expect the votes to vmbe very close. FWIW on TNT before the lightning game (kuch had a 4 pt lead) all 3 of Lundqvist, Carter and Biz chose mackinnon. They obviously aren't voters, but it says something about how at least part of the media (and former players) feel about it currently.

I wouldn't expect a kuch runaway, madness a narrow win

Reactions: pi314

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
Mentioned this in a previous thread, but wanted to re-make these points for Mack's Case.

- 35 Home Game point Streak to start a season (2nd only behind Gretzky)

- the ONLY player in nhl history to have 2 19-game point streaks in the same season

- Col would likely be a wildcard at best (possibly out of playoffs without Mack because of Ryan Johansen being the 2nd line center AND Georgiev letting in 4 goals in 40% of his starts (insane). Makar and rantanen wouldnt be able to overcome this (especially with Nuke and Girard absences for chunks of the season)

- would be one of a handful of players in history that will have had a 50 Goal + 90 Assist Season (should he get 90 assists to finisht he year)

- highest point total by an Avalanche ever, and is due to break the all time franchise record for points in a season (Stastny back in the 80s)

-90+ Even Strength points, which hasnt been done since the mid 90s

What Nate has done night in and night out is has been nothing short of incredible this year. a lot is made up about the points game between Kuch and his teammates but he's one of 3 40 goal scorers on the team, 6 players including him have 20+ goals. Tampa has 5 players with 70+ points.

On the Avs, ONLY Mackinnon, Makar and Rants have over 57 points!! (drouin has 56 so I'm going to use 57 as the benchmark), but round up to 60+ and its still the same.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
harder for whom? Matthews might score 70 goals one day, but he will NEVER score 70 assists, let alone 100. so it's definitely harder for him to assist because he's not a playmaker
Harder because it's rarer. It's a fact that fewer goals are scored than assists are recorded.

There's a reason Matthews is a hart candidate despite having so many less pts - because he scored more goals than everyone by a lot. Mack's goal gap on kuch isn't the end all be all , but it is something

splot

Jun 12, 2014
If (when) the Kings beat the Blackhawks tonight, 8 of the top 13 teams are in the West. The East just have a large group of utterly mediocre teams in the middle. Which is why two of their playoff teams have a GD of 38 and 58 worse than the worst playoff team in the West.

Not sure how you can say that the East is deep.
Why is no one bothering to look up actual stats of how western vs eastern teams did when they played against each other before making claims that is so blatantly false?
Tampa Bay has 0.641 PTS% vs west and 0.570 PTS% vs east.
Colorado has 0.714 PTS% vs west and 0.547 PTS% vs east.
It's the same for the vast majority of teams, the eastern conference is far better than the western this year and its not close.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
5 players scored 100 assists. 8 players scored 70 goals
That doesn't mean goals aren't rarer or more valuable, they are both.

I don't think Matthews deserves the hart , but the only reason he is close despite having more than 30 fewer points is because he had so many goals.

In a vacuum, goals are more valuable than assists. Is 100 assists more valuable than 7p goals? Maybe , but if points are equal goals hold more value , as they should. A gap of 6 pts on #2 while having 7 fewer goals does not generally lead to a runaway hart trophy.

Kucherov fans are having g difficulty understanding that people are of the opinion he hasn't run away with the mvp, because he hasn't

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Much like the end of 2017-2018, the Avs are cold down the stretch, 3-5-2 heading into tonight’s game. MacKinnon has been better as an individual this time around. I doubt the voters are going to give up their chance at this point.

I would give it to Kucherov myself, but I think his hardcore fans need to read the writing on the wall. MacKinnon has been the favorite amongst the writers at the halfway and three quarters point. I don’t think anything was going to sway the majority of the vote in the final portion of the season.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Kuch is my pick, He deserves it after the season he had, and his All-Star performance just reinforces it

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It'll be one of the closest votes in NHL history IMO and while I would have no gripes against MackInnon winning it, I think Kuch putting his name in the record books last night clinched it.

Reactions: Tofveve

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Why is no one bothering to look up actual stats of how western vs eastern teams did when they played against each other before making claims that is so blatantly false?
Tampa Bay has 0.641 PTS% vs west and 0.570 PTS% vs east.
Colorado has 0.714 PTS% vs west and 0.547 PTS% vs east.
It's the same for the vast majority of teams, the eastern conference is far better than the western this year and its not close.
The mediocre group of teams (teams in the "playoff race" in the East, 84-94pts) I was talking about had the following point percentage against the West:

And against the East:

Philly is the outlier. All other teams in that group had a better point percentage against the East than against the West.

Not sure why you'd assume I hadn't looked up if that group of teams were just hard done by having to play in the East, or why you think it's blatantly false that the East had a large group of teams that were utterly mediocre, even though they didn't have the bottom feeders that the West did.

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
A gap of 6 pts on #2 while having 7 fewer goals does not generally lead to a runaway hart trophy.
100 assists, outscored Point by 54p, much better performance against top teams
There are so many arguments for Kucherov. arguments for MacKinnon are basically just a little more goals and better +/-, thanks to the weaker division and the conference.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Centers tend to win the hart and lindsay just being the more valuable position.

There are so many arguments for Kucherov. arguments for MacKinnon are basically just a little more goals and better +/-, thanks to the weaker division and the conference.
Tampa cant even get a division spot.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
see my points then, way better case made

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
think its gotta be kuch. significantly more productive than his teammates. most points in the league. his team caught fire down the stretch and are comfortably made the playoffs. edmonton and colorado didnt finish with that many more points than tampa.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Is Kucherov's +/- really worse because Colorado played in a weaker division, and not because Kucherov was on the ice for the most goals against 5v5 of any forward in the league this year?

Kucherov's 5v5 +/- was +5 this year, compared to MacKinnon's +36. Not sure we can chalk that up to the difference in quality between the divisions.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
harder for whom? Matthews might score 70 goals one day, but he will NEVER score 70 assists, let alone 100. so it's definitely harder for him to assist because he's not a playmaker
Harder in the sense that there are up to two assists attributed per goal - it's easier to rack up assists than it is to rack up goals, hence why it's so hard to even get 60+ goals. You're not going to see anyone get 100 in a season.

Reactions: Plastic Joseph

Soul Assumption

Jul 18, 2022
Is Kucherov's +/- really worse because Colorado played in a weaker division, and not because Kucherov was on the ice for the most goals against 5v5 of any forward in the league this year?
yes, because the weaker the division, the fewer goals you will allow

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
these have been brought up so many times, then MacKinnon supporters will bring up the fact that outside of the top 2 MacKinnon has a larger gap, better defensive metrics, and a better net value score.

This hart is highly debated and both have valid arguments.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If (when) the Kings beat the Blackhawks tonight, 8 of the top 13 teams are in the West. The East just have a large group of utterly mediocre teams in the middle. Which is why two of their playoff teams have a GD of 38 and 58 worse than the worst playoff team in the West.

Not sure how you can say that the East is deep.
Less bottom feeders and more teams with 110 plus points. Makes a deeper conference top to bottom. Mack performed worse against the top 10 teams and scored less points per game and overall against lesser teams in his conference . Seems pretty easy to see who performed better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad