TSN: Hard data suggests Sens’ rebuild isn’t over

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Outside of our younger players maturing a year it's hard to even say Ottawa got any better this year. Rough start to our first year of success. Also hilarious that we are spending to the cap and currently are #32 in the league in that regard

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
You rebuild when your core is aging and failing by shipping out those assets for futures, and then subsequently suck so your draft position becomes favorable. Ottawa is out of sell mode and have acquired a ton of younger assets. So in that sense, the rebuild is done.

Question moving forward is if they built a future contender or a mediocre lemon. Another fortuitous acquisition may still be required to push them into being a real contender, but that's part of every team's push year over year to get better.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Outside of our younger players maturing a year it's hard to even say Ottawa got any better this year. Rough start to our first year of success. Also hilarious that we are spending to the cap and currently are #32 in the league in that regard
Depends on what you compare this year's team to, start of last year or end.

We started last year like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Coburn-Brown

This year we should be starting with (not lines but players):

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Sanford
Formenton-White-Watson

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Holden

It's not a big jump but imo it is better than last year particularly if you use hindsight with Dadonov and like last year we should improve as we go, perhaps adding JBD, Sokolov or Thomson if they prove ready.

Oh, we likely also get much better goaltending.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depends on what you compare this year's team to, start of last year or end.

We started last year like this:

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-Brown
Paquette-Anisimov-Watson

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Gudbranson
Coburn-Brown

This year we should be starting with (not lines but players):

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Tierney-Brown
Paul-Pinto-Sanford
Formenton-White-Watson

Chabot-Zub
MDZ-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Holden

It's not a big jump but imo it is better than last year particularly if you use hindsight with Dadonov and like last year we should improve as we go, perhaps adding JBD, Sokolov or Thomson if they prove ready.

Oh, we likely also get much better goaltending.

Lines look good to me with Pinto probably bumping CT from 2C.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
My hard data suggests that if you are basically always not extending your best player and captains and trading them away is your rebuild ever truly over?

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think its possible that EM instructed Dorion to make the "rebuild is over" statements in hopes that would increase attendance.

You know what they say: "Follow the money". :thumbu:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It seems "the rebuild is over" means different things to different people. Not surprising

Yost writing an article with a negative slant about Ottawa. Not surprising either

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, I'm not sure we can look at past seasons and project where we'll be this season. So much of a roster changes. Young players improve, odler guys regress, guys get injuried, guys get healthy, competition gets worse or better, etc...

This is a pretty meaningless projection, IMO.

Reactions: slamigo

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It's an interesting question - when is a rebuild over? I dont think hockey fans have ever really come to agreement on that somewhat nebulous term.

My first thought was that it is over when you get back to where you were when you started it, but that's probably not right. Yost has an interesting attempt at quantifying it by comparing goals vs. expected goals. I never thought of that, i wonder if there's any statistical merit to that.

But maybe like that early Sens team, ill start thinking the rebuild is over when we dont feel we have any missing pieces and we start to trade futures for win now pieces and most fans dont think management has lost it for doing so.

But yeah, i guess we are just plain old building now. Which means no more of excuses of: 'we are just a rebuilding team so lay off'. What a glorious year for a series of unfortunate events that lead to a tank though. Weird spot to be in i guess.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I feel that a rebuild is over when the team is consistently competitive and assured to make the playoffs most years.

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Kinda dumb to say the rebuild is over when the team on paper is probably not close to a playoff spot

instead they should have just said that we expect to battle for a playoff spot or something like that

the sens have holes in their top 6 and top 4 d

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Kinda dumb to say the rebuild is over when the team on paper is probably not close to a playoff spot

instead they should have just said that we expect to battle for a playoff spot or something like that

the sens have holes in their top 6 and top 4 d
And also the team is still incapable of giving their should be captain a long term contract. It's not exactly coming up millhouse.

Pierre shoulda just said they expect to be more competitive and carry the form from end of last season

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
And also the team is still incapable of giving their should be captain a long term contract. It's not exactly coming up millhouse.

Pierre shoulda just said they expect to be more competitive and carry the form from end of last season

I find PD to be full of BS.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We know the rebuild isn't over when we're still missing a few key components. Those 1C, 1/2RW, 2/3D slots are still open.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
What I take the rebuild to mean is that the players they have are going to be the ones they build on. The draft picks to come are the ones that will augment the solid foundation, or they could be traded for specific pieces. Essentially, they are no longer tanking.

Yost is looking at historic data, but the Sens are looking at the future. I do not think the Sens make the playoffs this year, but they will not be drafting 5th, lottery excepted of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad