Handball

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. Let us not make this into some sort of general thread about the greatness of France. I like the idea of having odd numbers on one side of the street and even on the other. So it is not like France is a useless country or anything.

Not sure what will happen with handball longer term, but always loved that smaller countries like Denmark, Croatia, Sweden etc. for the men can be considered "superpowers" and the same for Norway for the women. That could never happen in football - even if some smaller countries have consistently punched above their weight their as well.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
All the others were better. ;)
We did have a great team about 15 years ago. They all retired and, as Havre said, the margins are small. Other teams have some alltime greats at the moment, too.
Comparing to France, Spain, Denmark an Croatia, Germany won not very much titles in their peak-era.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
My point wasn't about France's greatness but the collective sports in general and cohesiveness needed.
Rugby is still a big sport in many countries, I'm surprised.
Anyway, Spain is usually good in team sports. Germany as well. But you never hear about their supposed lack of cohesiveness.
So my pint was that it's not a fair knock on France.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I haven't read all posts in this thread, but are anyone giving France a hard time here? The French were the team to beat for so many years and I think basically everyone would agree to that.

And in terms of cohesion extremely impressive how the French had so many superstars, but they were still a proper team.

I have no view on how that compares to other big teams/nations.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
no shame losing to spain. and it was very close, 33-34, could go either way

got a feeling egypt wins the gold

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think the two better teams are on the other side, but at this point it is almost 25% x 4 for me.

I would give a small advantage to France and Denmark, but wouldn't exactly be shocked if it went Egypt against Spain in the final (would be a little surprised though).

Really hope Denmark win it with Norway and Sweden out. Even if the Danish media doesn't deserve a gold medal.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I think the two better teams are on the other side, but at this point it is almost 25% x 4 for me.

I would give a small advantage to France and Denmark, but wouldn't exactly be shocked if it went Egypt against Spain in the final (would be a little surprised though).

Really hope Denmark win it with Norway and Sweden out. Even if the Danish media doesn't deserve a gold medal.
What has the Danish media done?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
What has the Danish media done?

I just felt the criticism they got after the Sweden game was rather silly. A bit tongue in cheek though. I do quickly read some Danish news, but I don't watch much Danish tv - so I don't know if it was really that bad.

And it is not exactly unique for Denmark to have hyperbole-style journalism these days.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I just felt the criticism they got after the Sweden game was rather silly. A bit tongue in cheek though. I do quickly read some Danish news, but I don't watch much Danish tv - so I don't know if it was really that bad.

And it is not exactly unique for Denmark to have hyperbole-style journalism these days.
Ahh it is true to an extent.

Especially EB were a little disrespectful after the loss to Sweden.

Even tho Jakobsen said straight after the game, that saving players and not playing at full steam was deliberate, to conserve energy after a long season and a small squad.

They knew they were in from the group.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Gidsel out? If so I think Denmark will have a huge challenge to win against Spain.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Gidsel out? If so I think Denmark will have a huge challenge to win against Spain.
Sagosen might have concussed him.

So yeah, let’s see - Nothing certain atm tho.

Don’t think it will make or break us.
Would have been worse with Andersson.

Spain score alot, but also let in alot.

We have players who can take over.

He would have been missed more against a heavy tight defense.

Game will be tough with or without him.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Obviously you know Denmark better than me, but Gidsel always seems to score those 5-7 goals. And he seems to have a tendency to score goals when the team need them. That might be just a silly feeling I got though.

There was only one point in the second half against Norway it felt like Norway had a small shot at getting back to the game. And I vividly remember one of those classic Gidsel goals. Looked so simple how he just walked passed our left back in defense and instead of giving Norway the chance to build momentum by defending well the opposite happened.

With how tired the players look I think this could very well be the difference between the two teams in the last 10 mins. Hope not.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Obviously you know Denmark better than me, but Gidsel always seems to score those 5-7 goals. And he seems to have a tendency to score goals when the team need them. That might be just a silly feeling I got though.

There was only one point in the second half against Norway it felt like Norway had a small shot at getting back to the game. And I vividly remember one of those classic Gidsel goals. Looked so simple how he just walked passed our left back in defense and instead of giving Norway the chance to build momentum by defending well the opposite happened.

With how tired the players look I think this could very well be the difference between the two teams in the last 10 mins. Hope not.
No doubt he is important, I just think he would have been more missed against a stronger defence - Spain have been bleeding goals.

Hansen will probably take his place, and then move Olsen (also fast with good shots) Or Mensah into Hansens spot.

But, Jacobsen says he is positive about Gidsel.

Lauge is also important, but they have done good without him.

But, just look at Spain having a super game defensively now.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Could be. I haven't watched enough Spain to say if they are bleeding goals because the defence is bad or if it is because they like the game to be played at a high tempo. They got so much experience though it feels like they could tighten up defensively quite well if they need to.

Yeah I don't want to make Gidsel more important than he is. There is also the argument that other players tend to step up if someone is missing. When Sagosen has been out for Norway Johannessen has often become our best player offensively. Even someone like O'Sullivan who isn't that good offensively has then taken more responsibility.

It just feels to me than Denmark and Spain are now quite evenly matched (unless Landin goes 45%). So one fairly key player might just be the thing that sways it.

With a healthy Gidsel Denmark are slight favourites for me. Without I would say Spain are slight favourites. Either way fairly close to 50/50.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Could be. I haven't watched enough Spain to say if they are bleeding goals because the defence is bad or if it is because they like the game to be played at a high tempo. They got so much experience though it feels like they could tighten up defensively quite well if they need to.

Yeah I don't want to make Gidsel more important than he is. There is also the argument that other players tend to step up if someone is missing. When Sagosen has been out for Norway Johannessen has often become our best player offensively. Even someone like O'Sullivan who isn't that good offensively has then taken more responsibility.

It just feels to me than Denmark and Spain are now quite evenly matched (unless Landin goes 45%). So one fairly key player might just be the thing that sways it.

With a healthy Gidsel Denmark are slight favourites for me. Without I would say Spain are slight favourites. Either way fairly close to 50/50.

Their defence has been subpar tbh.

I dunno man, Spain are a weird team to me.

Don’t see any star players, just a very well balanced team.

Always look like they are about to loose, but never really get hinged off, and then bam, win it with 10 mins to go.

Obviously outside of the 2013 WC final, we have had a good hold on them.

I don’t wanna talk favourites, as I feel that always bites the favourites in the ass.

But to me, on paper, with or without Gidsel, Denmark has the stronger team.

But games are seldomly played on paper.

I am not a big fan of Spain tho, they annoy me because they can often be the worst team in the game and still win. And because they always seem to get a good load of lucky, greasy goals.

And they complain alot, often over shit they do themselves.

I am always nervous to face them, as the games are almost always closer than id like.

I think Spain pulls the win tomorrow, with or without Gidsel, as Denmark looked abit tired against Norway.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. That is what I partly meant with my description of Spain as well. Which is why I think their defending might not be as bad as it might suggest so far in the Olympics.

I haven't counted, but I would imagine Denmark and Spain are the two teams with the most semi finals the last years in the WC and Euros. Maybe some of the Spanish players were more "superstars" some years ago, but they still has this ability as you say to stay in the game.

If it is within 1-2 goals in the last 10 then missing someone like Gidsel might be the difference. If it isn't because of him directly it also means that some of the others have played a bit more earlier in the game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah. That is what I partly meant with my description of Spain as well. Which is why I think their defending might not be as bad as it might suggest so far in the Olympics.

I haven't counted, but I would imagine Denmark and Spain are the two teams with the most semi finals the last years in the WC and Euros. Maybe some of the Spanish players were more "superstars" some years ago, but they still has this ability as you say to stay in the game.

If it is within 1-2 goals in the last 10 then missing someone like Gidsel might be the difference. If it isn't because of him directly it also means that some of the others have played a bit more earlier in the game.

For sure Spain can defend better, and they might step it up, I just fear France and Egypts defence more.

No doubt Gidsel is hella important, I just feel his foot speed and nimble dribbling would be more of a loss against a stronger, bigger tighter D.

Even if Spain tighten up, they still defend higher up the line, and are more willing to go for the early fast break.

Spain are fast, and also score alot, so a tight D is imo, more important.

Denmark are known for their depth, even in a slimmed down 14 man squad, so while Gidsel is Denmarks MVP we still have very good options without him.

Denmark have look slightly vulnerable against aggresive (High standing)defences tho, so I fear Spain take this.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Mhm. Usually not a good thing. I remember back in the day when we had Solberg, Hagen, Løke, Ege, Kjelling, Strand, healthy Myrhol, Lund etc. Probably a better team than we got now - except no right back. It was just so endlessly frustrating watching that team year after year where the good teams just let our right back run on the outside to finish from a terrible angle. And after the right back had made 5 of those mistakes he just stopped trying and the whole attacking setup failed.

Denmark is better than that, but good teams are good at exploiting issues like that as well. And Spain is exactly the kind of clever team that will understand such things.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Only positive to that, is that Denmark haven’t been to reliant on their wings these two past tourneys.

Used to love me some Kjelling btw - Awesome player.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Only positive to that, is that Denmark haven’t been to reliant on their wings these two past tourneys.

Used to love me some Kjelling btw - Awesome player.

Got a love hate relationship with him. Might very well be the most talented individually gifted offensive player I have ever seen. Most players got one speciality shot - he was world class at all of them. He also was the biggest choker I can ever remember and so ridiculously inconsistent in big games. Can only wonder how good he would have been with a better "head".

Digression, but these days he is the best "expert commentator" I have ever come across for all sports. Just brilliant. And in the studio we got Boldsen. Also a very likeable and knowledgeable guy. A bit more tongue in cheek than Kjelling, but he is great. A shame that channel hasn't got the rights for the Olympics though.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Rooting for Spain solely on my heritage lol I don’t know much about this sport but I just watched the highlights of Spain vs Sweden. Holy cow that’s a ton of goals!

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad